Tiger II under restoration in Full
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:42 am
    ----
My time to post some pictures Cool

This is the Tiger II in Full, currently on loan from Thun to be fully restored (in running order). Pictures were taken in august 2008

While I was there, the crew was still struggling with removing the wheels. Looking at their photo gallery looks like they are moving ahead:
http://www.koenigstiger.ch/pages/webgalerie/index_3.html

Massimo

#2: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:05 am
    ----
well, that's really fine, thanks for the pics. I have to go back there this summer !!

P-O

#3: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:18 am
    ----
I am considering going there for their event in July:
http://www.militaer-museum.ch/fahrzeugtreff_09/

Or wait until 2010, when they will open a new hangar.

I took plenty of pictures when I was there (feel free to ask if you want any), but I still have to dig into more artillery, the Mowag stuff and the Oerlikon's collection.

Drop me a line whenever you plan your trip. I may be able to meet you there.

Massimo

#4: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:37 am
    ----
Great pictures! Where is the restoration taking place, Massimo?

#5: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:50 am
    ----
The restoration, at this stage, is taking place inside the main hall. It's cool because visitors can follow the activity.

You can also see they have the spare gun that once used to be in Thun. I guess theyplan to use that since the original one was damaged and missing the muzzle brake for 60 years.

Massimo

#6: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:51 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I am considering going there for their event in July:
http://www.militaer-museum.ch/fahrzeugtreff_09/

Or wait until 2010, when they will open a new hangar.

I took plenty of pictures when I was there (feel free to ask if you want any), but I still have to dig into more artillery, the Mowag stuff and the Oerlikon's collection.

Drop me a line whenever you plan your trip. I may be able to meet you there.

Massimo

Massimo,

I will have to go there in August, because I have no holidays in July.
Would you be able to come in August too?

Here is a gallery with Mowag vehicles at Full :
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568568911YMAqHY
I got the chance to visit the reserves and I took plenty of pictures (shown at the end of the gallery), but the different Mowag versions are hard to identify, so this gallery may contain some mistakes. et me know if you find some.

P-O

#7: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:53 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
The restoration, at this stage, is taking place inside the main hall. It's cool because visitors can follow the activity.

You can also see they have the spare gun that once used to be in Thun. I guess theyplan to use that since the original one was damaged and missing the muzzle brake for 60 years.

Massimo

would be a shame to replace the barrel, since it has originally been destroyed during the war, IIRC.

P-O

#8: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:19 am
    ----
After august 15th could be fine, before that date I will be on holiday in Sicily. 22-23th and 29-30th August would be suitable dates for me.

I live in Lugano, in the Ticino canton, just across the italian border.

BTW If you are in Switzerland, Morges's castle and its small artillery museum are pretty nice. If you are into planes as well, Dubendorf air museum is great, and they have some anti-aircraft artillery too.

I've seen the Mowag vehicles, thanks. I plan to cover them more in deep next time I will be there anyway. They were just lower priority compared to other stuff, but I will catch up Laughing

Massimo

#9: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:05 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
- Massimo_Foti

Massimo

would be a shame to replace the barrel, since it has originally been destroyed during the war, IIRC.

P-O

I think it's OK to replace it as they have one on hand, it will certainly increase the "look" of the vehicle as it now IMO looks somewhat crippled with a stubbed gun tube.

#10: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:52 pm
    ----
I am with Rikard on this

Massimo

#11: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:02 pm
    ----
Astonishing condition for pre-refurb. The torsion bar mounts in my ACAV didn't look that good when I turned that vehicle in. (then again, you couldn't even see them with the floorplates out for the packed mud that was under there, took a pickax to get it out).

Thanks for posting this!

#12: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:38 am
    ----
Yes, indeed that is a very clean vehicle! Either it had relatively little dirt accumulate during its service career, or was cleaned extensively and stored safely after the museum acquired it.

Perhaps WWII Panzer engineering is a good mechanical challenge for these Swiss mechanics. Heuer watches, SIG assault rifles, yodelling songbooks, alpenhorns, etc.

#13: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:39 am
    ----
- Maple_Leaf_Eh
Yes, indeed that is a very clean vehicle! Either it had relatively little dirt accumulate during its service career, or was cleaned extensively and stored safely after the museum acquired it.

Perhaps WWII Panzer engineering is a good mechanical challenge for these Swiss mechanics. Heuer watches, SIG assault rifles, yodelling songbooks, alpenhorns, etc.

Cowbells...don't forget, they got's some bitchin' cowbells!

#14: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:41 am
    ----
and chocolate... and 2 or 3 great banks Mr. Green

P-O

#15: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:56 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
- Maple_Leaf_Eh

Cowbells...don't forget, they got's some bitchin' cowbells!

The amazing thing is that it has been stored outside for at least the last 30 years, which makes the condition even more remarkable.

-> AFV News Discussion Board