Tiger II under restoration in Full
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 pm
    ----
I am not aware of any other Priests in Full, apart from the two M7B2s I listed above.
What about the picture you posted, do you have details?

I've asked about exchanges they made with Hatten. They confirmed Hatten Pz 61 and Pz 68 came from Full. They've got something in exchange, most likely the AMX-30 and something else, but I wasn't able to get full details of the deal (it happened quite a few years ago)

Massimo

#62: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:45 pm
    ----
AFAIK the AMX-30 doesn't come from Hatten, I've never seen it in the museum. I regularly visited the museum in Hatten just before the deal happened...

P-O

#63: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:52 pm
    ----
I was only able to ask to about the deal with Hatten to two persons. What kind of info have you got from Hatten about the exchange with Full?

Massimo

#64: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:15 pm
    ----
well, it was a while ago, but I always thought that Hatten simply exchanged the M7B2 for the two Panzer 68. A bit later, Hatten received a Swiss Centurion and I think that it could also come from Full, but don't know what vehicle Hatten could have exchanged for this tank. The G-13 that was at Hatten went to Poland.

I wonder why this WW2 museum let the WW2 vehicles leave the place and welcomes modern vehicles instead. That always seemed illogical to me.

P-O

#65: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:20 am
    ----
the_shadock wrote:
thanks Massimo. It seems to be a bit low for an M7B2..

I was thinking the same, but I am 100% sure on the number, it's perfectly readable, very clear, no way to make mistakes.
Could it be an M7 updated to B2 or all the B2 where made from scratch?

Massimo

Lowest possible Sn for a M7B1/B2 Priest is 3789, so 117 can't be correct as serial number. There were two series M7B1 build: the first ranges from 3789 - 4416, the second from 4417 - 4614.

- Massimo
Could it be an M7 updated to B2 or all the B2 where made from scratch?

All M7B2's are rebuild M7B1's, of the 826 M7B1's build only a small number are rebuild to M7B2's.

Where did you find that number Massimo?

Michel

#66: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 am
    ----
- Tichenor
Where did you find that number Massimo?

Just above the bolt strip of the differential housing. See the picture:

#67: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 pm
    ----
I"m not sure that it is the SN, despite its location, which should be correct. All the M7B2 serials that I have seen above the strip bolt are "in a box", like the ones that you can see below :

P-O

#68: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:11 pm
    ----
sometimes there are other numbers that are stamped in the "bolt strip" area, their lmeaning are unknown to me, they could be "manufacturers" numbers used during the vehicle's production (steel batch number...)

The Fort Knox restoration team uncovered several numbers stamped all around Cobra King during its restoration.

P-O

#69: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:14 pm
    ----
AS far as I rember that was the only number visible. I'll try to look again at it next time (in July)

Massimo

#70: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 pm
    ----
no hurry Mr. Green I'll pay a visit in July, if everything goes well. Or maybe I will get married before, who knows.

P-O

#71: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm
    ----
In July there is the annual event:
www.festungsmuseum.ch/...index.html

With live demos:
www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

This year we will have Pz 68 bridgelayer

Let me know if you come in Switzerland, I may be able to meet you

Massimo

#72: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:11 pm
    ----
Massimo

almost every plate has a number in it, and it far from clear what they mean, however I'm 100% sure that's not the serial number of the Priest.
As P-O says, almost al the M7B2's (the ones that where rebuild in France, and that's probably all what's now in Europe) have the serial in a square box just above the strip.

Michel

#73: Re: broken link Author: zemsiLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:47 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

Hi Massimo

your youtube-link won't work...

Greetings
Chris

#74: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 pm
    ----
You are right! It worked only because I was logged in...
Try this instead:
www.youtube.com/user/M...eos?view=0

Massimo

#75: Re: Tiger II under restoration in Full Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 am
    ----
Yesterday I had a look at the Priest's plate together with Wim, the only number we managed to find was the one I already posted.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board