Just back from Thun
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Just back from Thun Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:29 am
    ----
Yestarday I went in Thun to visit the Panzermuseum. I managed to take an outrageous amount of photos, I plan to postprocess and archive them within a few days. I will post something here, please feel free to ask if you are interested in a special vechicle. Hope some picture could be useful to Pierre Olivier, since some of the ones inside his PDFs are out of date or just not great quality.

FT-17 and Stug III weren't on display. Crying or Very sad
Looking at Google maps there was also another tank missing (used to be near the T-54).

One of the funny things is that the place is an Army barracks, so there was live training going on all over the place. Among other things I've spotted some Leo 2:

And CV-90:

A couple of birds keep singing all around the tanks, making the visit even more pleasant.
In italian we call them "Ballerina bianca", the scientific name is "Motacilla alba". Seems like the enjoy tanks too, especially gun tubes and radio antennas Laughing

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Wed May 20, 2009 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Just back from Thun Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:12 pm
    ----
Did they have any Kanonenjagdpanzers or Raketenjagdpanzers there?

#3: Re: Just back from Thun Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:10 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
Did they have any Kanonenjagdpanzers or Raketenjagdpanzers there?
You mean the ones used by the Bundeswehr? No, there was none. At least not among the tanks that were visible.

There was a HS 30 Spz Lang, a Schutzenpanzer SPz 11-2 then an M48A2 from Bundeswehr, still with german markings.

I don't recall seeing any in the Full Museum either.

I can post Jagdpanzer Kanone's pictures from Bruxelles Army Museum if you want.
Is there anything special you are looking for? Are you a modeller?

Massimo

#4: Re: Just back from Thun Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:34 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

A couple of birds keep singing all around the tanks, making the visit even more pleasant.
In italian we call them "Ballerina bianca", the scientific name is "Motacilla alba". Seems like the enjoy tanks too, especially gun tubes and radio antennas Laughing

Massimo

Nice pictures, Massimo, with interesting "background" info.

Y'all 'scuse my ignorance, but what is the plumbing on the left side (your right) of the gun tube in Massimo's picture with the bird? I can't see it as a gas line, so what could it be?

Thanks!

#5: Re: Just back from Thun Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:47 pm
    ----
Thanks Massimo, but please don't go to all that trouble. I just like to gather some photos detailing any other possible features/details on certain vehicles. Even though most museum pieces have had most of the hardware stripped off.

You might call what I do 'modeling' but it's more of an efatuation than anything else what I build. Rolling Eyes

#6: Re: Just back from Thun Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:48 pm
    ----
The tank is the Fliegerabwehrpanzer 68, an attempt to mount Gepard's turret on top of a Panzer 68's hull.

As far as I remember, the structure you see at the end of the gun is a sensor that measures projectile's speed. I guess the plumbing belong to it.

Massimo

#7: Re: Just back from Thun Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:08 pm
    ----
Jeff, you can grab a .zip file containing 36 pictures from Bruxells museum. Be aware it's 2,7 Mb and it's not going to stay there more than a few days:
http://www.massimocorner.com/afv/jagdpanzer_kanone.zip

Hope it will help

Massimo

#8: Re: Just back from Thun Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:43 pm
    ----
A little note about the Belgian JPK's, they look the same as the German JPK's but there are some significant diferences between them. The Belgian JPK's are based upon the Marder chassis.

Michel

-> AFV News Discussion Board