M26 Pershing or M46 Patton?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 pm
    ----
Forgive me, I'm not sure which one it is...

Neil

#2: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:43 pm
    ----
My opinion M46, a M26 has its crownwheel lower. See localhost/AfvRegister/...AfvID=5495
Michel

#3: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:45 pm
    ----
Sorry wrong link should be:
http:www.AfvRegister.org/Details.aspx?AfvID=5495

Michel

#4: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:04 pm
    ----
M46

#5: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm
    ----
Agreed,

The much rarer M46

#6: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:12 pm
    ----
Hello,

should we consider the M46 as an upgraded WW2 vehicle or as a post-war tank ??

P-O

#7: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 am
    ----
I would concur, it looks like an M46 Patton and it has had it's muffler removed. Has the muffler been removed?? Do you have more pics Neil?

The M46 is the first of the Pattons... they had the mufflers and engine layout of the M47. If/when visible, I always look at that first

SR

#8: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:16 am
    ----
Shadock,
you ask a loaded question. How do you really differentiate where the M26 stopped and where the Pattons became truly the next generation/post war generation?

The question that has recently been ratttling around in my head recently is what did the U.S. really take from the war and apply to the next generation of tanks??? I am thinking of the incident when Patton reviewed a Russian victory parade after the war and commented to the effect, "Hey, remember we are still on the same side...".

I have been recenly reading more on the Ordnance dept., the AGF, Generals McNair and Campbell, the TD programs, etc. Americans had info and reports coming from the British, Russians and minor battlefield experience and came up with different "solutions" to the German armor threat, then our Allied counterparts. I want to better understand why.
So, in looking at the "Russian threat" right after the war, I wonder if the Americans had really "learned" from the last war...
Beat me up for it, but until you get to the M60, you havent come up with the next generation. I hope I really havent put my foot in my mouth on this one...
SR

#9: Re: M26 Pershing or M46 Patton? Author: Chris_CLocation: WV, USA PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:56 pm
    ----
Definitely an M46 that has had its muffler removed, as others have noted. Other clues are the location of the drive sprocket (as mentioned), the small track tension idler below the drive sprocket and the single-baffle muzzle brake (although this was also found on M26A1). Is this tank at Ft. Dix?

-> AFV News Discussion Board