Online books
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Online books Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:12 pm
    ----
Tons of books available online. books.google.com/ and type in title your looking for. All the Osprey books are there. Most are limited preview.

One that Doug might like if he hasn't already seen it...

Vietnam Tracks

#2: Re: Online books Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 pm
    ----
Yep, that's a good one I picked up off ebay not too long ago. It's filled with pictures!

#3: Re: Online books Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:10 am
    ----
Those "Google preview" webpages juggle the page displays around a bit, and the one I had bookmarked no longer displays what I believe was the episode described on page 131(?) regarding the report of the five 2/11th Cav Sheridans completely destroyed by fire subsequent to mine strikes and/or RPG damage in a single action in April '71. I would be very keen to learn the original source material on this event. I have asked COL. Bill Stokes (who assumed command in June '71) about this and he recalls no such report from LTC Ballantyne when the change of command took place. COL Stokes has just recently asked LTC Ballantyne about this report (after my bringing it to his attention) since he was the CO at the time and he only recorded the loss of one vehicle that month and has no recollection of the event described (the loss of five combat vehicles is not the sort of thing to escape a squadron commander's attention). This is a mystery that I would like to clarify with Mr. Dunstan regarding references. If anyone has contact with Mr. Dunstan, I'd appreciate their putting us in direct contact. I don't have a copy of the book, myself, but have seen the passage in question.

D.

#4: Re: Online books Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:49 am
    ----
I see that there are 3 books with similar titles written by Mr. Dunstan...
Vietnam Tracks, Tanks in Vietnam, and Armour of the Vietnam War. I also see he lives in London.

Anthony Williams is in London. He might could put you in touch with Mr.Dunstan.

#5: Re: Online books Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:56 am
    ----
Doug:

If you click on the second link in the original post, and scroll down to Page 130, you'll see the text that you are referring to. It is the last few sentences just before the picture of the gun truck.

Mark

#6: Re: Online books Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:06 am
    ----
Thanks, Dennis. I've sent him a PM at a site he is known to frequent.

#7: Re: Online books Author: Dennis_Smith PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am
    ----
Here's his home page

www.quarry.nildram.co.uk /

#8: Re: Online books Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:48 am
    ----
- Buq-Buq
Doug:

If you click on the second link in the original post, and scroll down to Page 130, you'll see the text that you are referring to. It is the last few sentences just before the picture of the gun truck.

Mark

Thanks, Mark, but presently, it will only let me view down to page 113 (and some sections before have pages omitted for viewing as well).

Probably, there is IP recognition software that records your visits and precludes viewing all the sections (even with repeats) so as to preclude downloading the entire work. Entirely understandable. I have seen the passage on a previous visit and had it quoted to me.

My understanding is that there are some personal acknowledgements, but no specific documentable references to the event I'd like to clarify.

Please note, I'm not prepared to say that there is an inaccuracy, but I'd like to resolve a discrepant report from reliable sources.

-> AFV News Discussion Board