WWII aircraft performance motherload...
-> Officer's Club

#1: WWII aircraft performance motherload... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:05 am
    ----
Incredible amount of material here. Navigate both the top (nationality) and bottom of the main page sections. If some of the charting data get dry, be sure not to miss the "fighter x" encounter reports of the pilots that flew them. The P-47 section is huge. There are hours and hours of reading here if the topic does it for you. Generally conducted at US or Brit facilities (Royal Aircraft Establishement, Boscombe Down). No "nationalism" appears in these reports...refreshingly honest assessments between types, even between countries. P-47, for example, faired well against Spitfire in several regimes. This is pretty much a "how the pilots reported it" documentary in controlled conditions and mock combat.

Knocks the wind out of some of those CFS whine-fests about aircraft modleling in the simulations, for sure. And not astonishingly, the pilot is what makes the difference.

For my money, put me down for a P47 or P38, even though the latter has a bigger maintainence headache before it. Seems to pay off. Bottom line, no model is perfect....

The fighter comparison chart is very interesting to read:

www.wwiiaircraftperfor...-chart.jpg

Have fun, I know I did....

www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/

#2: Re: WWII aircraft performance motherload... Author: JG300-Dan736Location: Burlinton Ont PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:49 pm
    ----
Thanks Ascout great site! I added that to my favorites so I can spend my time with it latter,looking forward to some of those comparisons

-> Officer's Club