Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:42 pm
    ----
On the Armor Museum Axvall, Sweden homepage it says that the Tiger II gearbox and engine usually on display are "away on loan for studies and measurement and will not be displayed again until relocation to the new museum in Strängnäs" ... hmm. As the subject suggests I have my suspicions as to Who it is on loan. Smile

Go Team Wheatcroft!!!

That rebuild is going to be very interesting to follow, in few years we might have three Tiger II's in running condition.

#2: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:11 pm
    ----
Is it possible it's gone to Full to help with the Thun Tiger II restoration?

#3: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:18 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Is it possible it's gone to Full to help with the Thun Tiger II restoration?

No, or ... well, possibly but from what I've heard the Thun/Full Tiger II automotive components (engine included) are in fairly good shape and more or less complete so a loan from Sweden seems redundant.

#4: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: gregv PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 pm
    ----
How much of a Tiger II does Mr. Wheatcroft have? I think his website states about 80%, and I've seen pictures of a rear hull section, as well as many smaller components including a cannon, but does that mean scratchbuilding the majority of the rest of the hull? And turret?

Whatever they get up to, I just hope they post lots of pictures! Very interesting project, to say the least. And if they are restoring the Aberdeen Tiger I, do you think they are taking very careful measurements in order to do the same thing? Wouldn't surprise me.....

greg v.

#5: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:53 am
    ----
- gregv
How much of a Tiger II does Mr. Wheatcroft have? I think his website states about 80%, and I've seen pictures of a rear hull section, as well as many smaller components including a cannon, but does that mean scratchbuilding the majority of the rest of the hull? And turret?

Whatever they get up to, I just hope they post lots of pictures! Very interesting project, to say the least. And if they are restoring the Aberdeen Tiger I, do you think they are taking very careful measurements in order to do the same thing? Wouldn't surprise me.....

greg v.

From what I've heard he has most (if not all by now) of the armor plating for hull and turret, so very little will need to be reproduced. I'm only speculating but my guess is what is still missing is a good deal of the internal euquipment and automotive components.

And regarding the Aberdeen Tiger I, you're right on the money Smile

#6: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:42 am
    ----
- gregv

greg v.

Way back when I first started volunteering at Aberdeen I was told that Wheatcrofts plan was to build a 1 to 1 replica of the Tiger 1 while restoring the Aberdeen vehicle. I nevere heard much on the progress of that portion of the project though

#7: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: gregv PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:13 am
    ----
I hope that more information and images of these two projects gets out, I'd love to see progress of any sort!

I recall seeing a Tiger I front plate complete with ball mount for the machine gun and the driver's vision port somewhere online in the last year or so; pretty positive it was in the former Eastern block somewhere. I wonder what became of it? Someone had recovered it from a field, I assumed from a long-ago scrapped Tiger.

greg v.

#8: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: gregv PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:32 pm
    ----
found it!

www.lerenfort.fsnet.co...age67.html

from this site:

www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/

lots of interesting reading, including a King Tiger rear turret plate:

www.lerenfort.fsnet.co...age28.html

a German halftrack dredged from a river:

www.lerenfort.fsnet.co...age51.html

Turkish/Bulgarian border Stug & Jagd IV:

www.lerenfort.fsnet.co...age75.html

Panzer IV main gun & mantlet:

www.lerenfort.fsnet.co...age83.html

Not sure how current this material is, but makes for excellent surfing. I wonder if Mr. Wheatcroft sourced the Tiger I front plate already, assuming it might be for sale?

cheers

greg v.

#9: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Landsverk PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:04 am
    ----
Found this information on another forum:

Update a few weeks ago.
"Last Monday the trial against the two swedes involved in the Tiger II gearbox fraud was held at the District Court in Skovde, Sweden and on Monday 21st the verdict will be notified.

The original engine that was exchanged against an empty scrap engine and the parts that were stolen from the gearbox was found by the British Police in the workshop belonging to a famous British MV Collector a year ago.
The gearbox has now been assembled and the engine and gearbox are safely back in Sweden.

As far as told the engine and gearbox will be on display at the new Swedish MV Museum, Arsenalen that will open in June 2011

www.arsenalen.se "

Update yesterday
"The Former Museum Manager who took the bribes was found guilty - Probation

The collector who borrowed the items and sold them to a British collector did admit both the theft and the bribe and was found guilty - 8 months in prison and penalty 35 000 EUR.

Found this on the Internet - the stolen gearbox that was seized has been used to make a perfect copy.

www.3dscanners.co.uk/t...ressed.pdf "

#10: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:52 am
    ----
- Landsverk
Found this on the Internet - the stolen gearbox that was seized has been used to make a perfect copy.

www.3dscanners.co.uk/t...ressed.pdf "

seems like your link doesn't work. Here is the link :
http://www.3dscanners.co.uk/tank_casestudy_compressed.pdf

#11: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:54 am
    ----
I get a bad link error message for the www.3dscanners.co.uk/t...ressed.pdf "
This is the link
www.3dscanners.co.uk/t...ressed.pdf

I called upon 3D scanners last year, when I was in a previous job.

#12:  Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm
    ----

#13: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33 am
    ----
Interesting that 3Dscanners have used my addition on Wikipedia on Tiger II survivors down to the last syllable ...

#14: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 am
    ----
Nothing like using Wiki for your "research" Rikard!

#15: Re: Kevin Wheatcroft gearing up for Tiger II rebuild? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:03 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
Nothing like using Wiki for your "research" Rikard!

Indeed Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board