Cobra King (reposted updates)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#106: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:30 pm
    ----
So when are they loading & shipping the container full of the volunteers who were only there for the armour to the new location?

Wink

#107: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:03 pm
    ----
[re-post from TankNet]

Garry:

By fluke of luck I got to go to the museum (twice!) last weekend (the first time I'd been there since 1983) . . . It really is a beautiful collection of armor. I don't get out to view armor too much, and I was able to see some vehicles — close up —that I have never seen before. Sadly, I was not able to get closer than viewing through the fence at the Richardson Motor Pool vehicles (and I have to say that to have to stand outside a FENCE and look at all those incredible examples of armor history nearly brought me to tears . . . the horror . . . the HORROR!). I did get to see the T28, however, waiting in its corral down the road. It was sort of a nice book-end to the first time that I saw it, at Boatwright, in 1979, awaiting restoration.

It's true, isn't it, that all the best things in life are cyclical?

Anyway, the museum is outstanding. When it comes to armor history, I'm not much of a World War I fan, but I have to say that the Mk V* diorama was incredible. It was a fine example of capturing a moment in time, down to the split-second. Very nicely done. That diorama set the tone for the rest of the museum for me, and I was not disappointed. It will be very sad that the collection will be farther away from Minnesota than it already is now. Great work by all involved.

Mark

#108: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:52 pm
    ----
- Buq-Buq
[re-post from TankNet]

Garry:

By fluke of luck I got to go to the museum (twice!) last weekend (the first time I'd been there since 1983) . . . It really is a beautiful collection of armor. I don't get out to view armor too much, and I was able to see some vehicles — close up —that I have never seen before. Sadly, I was not able to get closer than viewing through the fence at the Richardson Motor Pool vehicles (and I have to say that to have to stand outside a FENCE and look at all those incredible examples of armor history nearly brought me to tears . . . the horror . . . the HORROR!). I did get to see the T28, however, waiting in its corral down the road. It was sort of a nice book-end to the first time that I saw it, at Boatwright, in 1979, awaiting restoration.

It's true, isn't it, that all the best things in life are cyclical?

Anyway, the museum is outstanding. When it comes to armor history, I'm not much of a World War I fan, but I have to say that the Mk V* diorama was incredible. It was a fine example of capturing a moment in time, down to the split-second. Very nicely done. That diorama set the tone for the rest of the museum for me, and I was not disappointed. It will be very sad that the collection will be farther away from Minnesota than it already is now. Great work by all involved.

Mark

Well said, Mark.

#109: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 am
    ----
So, if one were to get to Ft Knox before the museum closure, are there any recommendations on where to stay?

#110: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:56 am
    ----
Buq-Buq,
I'm glad you were able to see the museum and what you could see from the fence at the motor pool. On behalf of the museum staff and volunteers, thanks for your kind comments. I think we are all proud of the museum and what we have accomplished over the years and I hope, over time, we can create another first class museum, although with a different focus.

Garry

#111: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
So, if one were to get to Ft Knox before the museum closure, are there any recommendations on where to stay?

Unless something new went up in the last coupla' years, I'd suggest the closest decent accommodations are in Elizabethtown (as opposed to Radcliff itself). it's maybe ten more minutes away but much better selection. Just "Google" or ask Garry and Don, since I don't recall exactly where I stayed.

Also, be advised the local liquor laws are wonky, if you care. If not by the drink, gotta' go to the next county even to buy beer. Rolling Eyes

#112: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:01 am
    ----
- JimWeb
So when are they loading & shipping the container full of the volunteers who were only there for the armour to the new location?

Wink

They will be put in a state of suspended animation, shipped to Benning in the last load and put into storage until the new museum is built. It may be five or more years from now, but they won't have aged a bit and will be ready to get to work. Smile

#113: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:03 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures

The best place that is close is the Gold Vault Inn in Radcliff. www.goldvaultinn.net/

It's not a five star, but it is decent.

#114: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:26 am
    ----
There is a Holiday Inn Express Between Radcliff & E-town that is fairly new.

Its located on 31W (Dixie Hwy) & Hwy 313 (Joe Prather Hwy) and only 5-10 minutes from the Museum.

My family prefers it to the Gold Vault Inn and they have stayed in both. Gold Vault Inn is actually closer to post but tends to get full with military families and TDY personnel.

If you plan to visit soon, give me a shout and hopefully we can get you 'behind the fence'.

Regards
Don

#115: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:00 am
    ----
Thanks guys! I'm just trying to come up with the $$ needed to get out there in August. Lots of other things taking my money right now but this is important. Even the wife is encouraging me to get to Knox Shocked Shocked It probably won't work out, but I'll give it a shot.

#116: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 am
    ----
Chris,

You owe it to yourself to go, since the window of opportunity is quickly closing. I hope to get there soon too, but it's only a 6 hour drive for me, just other stuff is keeping me side tracked lately.

#117: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:09 am
    ----
- Joe_D
Chris,

You owe it to yourself to go, since the window of opportunity is quickly closing. I hope to get there soon too, but it's only a 6 hour drive for me, just other stuff is keeping me side tracked lately.

I know but I also "owe" a lot of others!! Laughing Laughing Like I said, my wife is all for it but I have to make the funds appear. Mad Mad

#118: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: ShermanWasRightLocation: Central Ohio/Northern Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:50 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- toadmanstankpictures

Unless something new went up in the last coupla' years, I'd suggest the closest decent accommodations are in Elizabethtown (as opposed to Radcliff itself). it's maybe ten more minutes away but much better selection. Just "Google" or ask Garry and Don, since I don't recall exactly where I stayed.

Also, be advised the local liquor laws are wonky, if you care. If not by the drink, gotta' go to the next county even to buy beer. Rolling Eyes

I was trying to find some vodka in Northern KY once, and the liquor stores all closed at 8-9pm. And this in a state with a Bourbon County!

#119: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: binder001 PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:18 pm
    ----
I agree with the others, you need to go to the Patton Museum before all the good stuff is long gone. I was fortunate enough to get there for the 60th Anniversary celebration last year and looking at the exhibit items that have moved since, I am certainly glad I did. One of the finest museums around and a friendly staff who know how to deal with "tank nuts".

I agree that Elizabethtown is a bit more "user friendly" that Radcliff. They also have more food choices. If your family might travel with you, E-town might be the better choice of basing.

Gary B.

#120: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:16 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
- JimWeb

Wink

They will be put in a state of suspended animation, shipped to Benning in the last load and put into storage until the new museum is built. It may be five or more years from now, but they won't have aged a bit and will be ready to get to work. Smile

I hope they remember to put air holes in the crate. Don't want what happened to those other guys to happen to you.

-> AFV News Discussion Board