Cobra King (reposted updates)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:33 pm
    ----
I have put together a new video, for those interested....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7rAeIJMiE

Guess I need to do somemore video shots during work progress.

Sorry for the crude video segment, it was an afterthought, at the time.

Enjoy
Don

#47: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:25 pm
    ----
Excellent

I wish I lived closer.

#48: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:31 am
    ----
Today being the 65th Anniversary of the break thru to Bastogne by Cobra King & the 4th Armored Division, I had a thought of trying to put together a video commemorating the events of 65 years ago.

Here is my latest video project.

Echoes Of Cobra King - Then & Now:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JfNKHdApmU

Enjoy
Don

#49: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:44 am
    ----
Watched it but stopped because the flickering captions were making me want to barf - though that could be something to do with the two bottles of wine last night...

You really need to sort out a fixed style of colour scheme/font/font size so that your videos are instantly recognisable...

#50: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:38 pm
    ----
Jim

Trying different artistic effects, but may have done too much. Thanks for the feedback. Wink

Regards
Don

#51: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:06 pm
    ----
flickering captions were making me want to barf - though that could be something to do with the two bottles of wine last night...

Although I didn't get the same reaction, Those Nickelodeon type effects makes me expect Buster Keaton or an old Max Fleischer cartoon. But the pictures and info are great.

On another note,

With all this about Cobra King being discovered, I wonder if around 2050 or later someone will try to track down whatever happened to the First Tank into Baghdad for OIF or the First into Kuwait City for Desert Storm ? I think the USMC might have the Latter somewhere. Would be nice if someone kept it straight now before too much info is lost or distorted. I keep visualizing some out of the way VFW with an M60 trying to claim it was there. Just like all those M60A3's painted up with USMC markings claiming to be Desert Storm Vets. Those kind of stories take on a life of their own after a while.

#52: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:17 pm
    ----
Joe

The USMC Det here has the M60A1 'Buster' which is an actual DS Vet. I have heard 1st hand information of its lineage / DS service, from a very reliable source.

The blazer Armor was applied in Kuwait, originally.

An interesting story, if one is up for M60 'lore' Wink

As I understad, the first tank into Bahgdad was 'Answer to This', which I've heard is being 'saved' for its role in OIF. Not sure where she is, though.

Regards
Don

#53: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:35 pm
    ----
- Dontos

As I understad, the first tank into Bahgdad was 'Answer to This', which I've heard is being 'saved' for its role in OIF. Not sure where she is, though.

Regards
Don

She is in the Patton Museum, of course. Razz Wink

#54: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:17 pm
    ----
Garry

Come on now, you know that 'our' M1 display is a fabrication to replicate 'Answer to this'.... Rolling Eyes

I believe the real 'Answer to This' is an M1A1 Heavy or Heavy Common.

What we have on display is a fabrication of an M1A1 hull, M1IP turret w/ demiled 120mm main gun. Thats how she arrived here, with the specific intent of being a display vehicle.

....and now you know THE REST of the story ! Rolling Eyes

Regards
Don

#55: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:31 pm
    ----
And that's how it starts,

In about 20 years someone will claim that she's the actual tank. Maybe Ya'll should place a sign stating that she is a representation of the actual tank.

"Answer to this" was a Pre-Po tank from Qatar IIRC. Had a lot of problems with those since they were never taken out and run. Rotary Shocks and Recoil Mech leaks. Spent a lot of time tracking those tanks prior to Kick-Off.

If she's anywhere it'd be at Anniston. All ended up being sent there for rebuild eventually. Hopefully someone recognized her importance and pulled her aside.

#56: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:35 pm
    ----
The Cobra King section on Armor for the Ages has been updated with four new pages on recent work and a surprise discovery.

armorfortheages.com/

Also, the T28 is being permanently moved from the museum grounds this Wednesday, January 13, around 0800. This will be the last chance to see her at the Patton Museum.

Thanks,
Garry

#57: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: panamadan PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:05 am
    ----
I'll be up at Ripley's Jumbo to see if it has the same item by the suspension unit.
Dan

#58: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:40 pm
    ----
Worked on the #3 Left side assembly, today. Attempted to remove and inspect the hull area behind the mismounted assembly. Was able to remove all the mounting bolts and studs, except the two from the damaged mounting bracket on the hull underside. I hope to have it dismounted on my next visit / session.

I'll post a few photos later this evening.

Regards
Don

#59: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 am
    ----
Here is a composite of photos from todays visit to CK.

Regards
Don

#60: Re: Cobra King (reposted updates) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 am
    ----
27 Jan 2010 Work Update:

For those keeping up with the 'CK Saga'

Today We were able to remove the (previously reversed mounted) left side #3 Bogie assembly from the hull. The hull wall behind the mounted assembly has revealed,......absolutely nothing ! Confused

Other than 3 (long time)fractured & missing upper mounting studs, the hull wall has no appearent damage. Images show what may be the original (faded) factory paint, but nothing else.

The assembly does have the already identified bent hull bracket, but no other signs of possible damage.

I hope to have all the other assemblies removed in the next few work sessions. Then the hull exterior will be ready to get blasted down for primer & paint as well as the seperate Bogie assemblies.

I'll post some photos a little later, just wanted to bring y'all up to date.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board