Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:39 am
    ----
Supposedly the Wilson Gate Sheridan is a different one, a former Armor Basic Course OPFOR veteran...

Neil

#17: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:54 am
    ----
Hmmm,...well its gone 'bye-bye' then. I know of no other Sheridans on Ft Knox, beside our operational one & the XM551.

Don

#18: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: recceboyLocation: Edmonton,Alberta PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:34 am
    ----
The German Half track looks to have OT-810 tracks on it, could this be a good looking restoration to make it look the part, anymore info on this beast.

Cheers

Anthony

#19: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:04 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- Hanno_Spoelstra

I see the commander's hatch is open - what is the interior condition?
Gary B

Can someone find out it’s serial number? Or see if the serial number is duplicated on the glacis (typical French feature)?
Hanno

I noticed the open hatch and though about climbing up there. But then I remembered how hard it was to climb up and down into the M114. Sorry, maybe next time.

The last time I was at the museum taking more photos, I met a Tanker with the 1st BCT 1st AD. He had seen the 1st AD collection in Germany and he didn't remember this one. The one he does remember had been clearned up and had a nice paint job on it.

?"Typical French feature?" How about the number 928 near the bottom edge of the glacis and centered on the hull.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#20: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:49 pm
    ----
Joe DeMarco says the M4A1(76) is not one of the 2 that the 1AD Museum had at Baumholder, but that it could have come from elsewhere in Germany.

He also offers that the 10th Armored Division marking could be a clue, but I'm not sure of what exactly since that was basically a WWII-only formation, with the brief exception as a reserve formation until 1957... Probably just some museum thought it would be neat to have a Sherman marked up in 10th AD markings...

But DeMarco did say to check if its an ex-French MDAP Sherman (like the one that showed up at APG a few years ago), so it may have the SN "stamped inside a box on the glacis" (exterior I presume?). If that paint job is faded you also might be able to make out the old French tank name somewhere on the hull...

Neil

#21: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:55 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

?"Typical French feature?" How about the number 928 near the bottom edge of the glacis and centered on the hull.

Roy, was that stamped on some sort of box?

P-O might be able to provide a pic of a similar French glacis SN for comparison?

Neil

#22: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:01 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Folks!

Neil

I don't remember a box around that number. Will take a second look the next time I am in there. The rear towing lugs are covered with thick layers of paint. I was unable to see anything on them.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#23: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:45 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

P-O might be able to provide a pic of a similar French glacis SN for comparison?

Neil

Stopped by the museum Sunday AM on the way to the model club display at a local shopping center. NO SQUARE around those numbers.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#24: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 pm
    ----
Roy,
I'm curious about the remaining "leftovers" from the ADA Museum - the M16 GMC, M19 GMC, M42 Duster, M163A1s, M730 Chaparral Carriers, XM247 Sergeant York, and the Autocannone da 90/53. Are they actually going to stay at Bliss? Or are they headed to Sill as well eventually?

Neil

#25: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:53 am
    ----
For the M4A1(76), if you can't find the S/N inside look for a stamping on the hull side (either) just below the lift lug. This will equate to an approximate S/N.

KL

#26: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:01 am
    ----
Roy,
Echoing what Kurt said. Joe Demarco also inquired if you were in good enough with the museum folks that they might let you look inside the M4A1(76) - if you're up for it Wink

Thanks again!

Neil

#27: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 am
    ----
Again, barring access to the dataplate inside, Joe DeMarco provided the following guide for finding the build number (APG's M4A1(76) as an example), which can be a clue to the SN range:

Neil

#28: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:39 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner
Roy,
Echoing what Kurt said. Joe Demarco also inquired if you were in good enough with the museum folks that they might let you look inside the M4A1(76) - if you're up for it Wink
Thanks again!
Neil

I will have to check that location closely the next time I can get in there.

As for getting into the vehicles. I will have to ask. At one time, I had an offer to climb into the Sgt, York. I turned the staff member down at that time because I didn't have good climbing shoes on that would not mark up the paint.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts

#29: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:23 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner
Roy,
I'm curious about the remaining "leftovers" from the ADA Museum - the M16 GMC, M19 GMC, M42 Duster, M163A1s, M730 Chaparral Carriers, XM247 Sergeant York, and the Autocannone da 90/53. Are they actually going to stay at Bliss? Or are they headed to Sill as well eventually?
Neil

The current plan (as of last Thursday) is for the M42 Duster and the M163A1 outside in the parking lot to stay. The Air Defense Branch would like to take all the AAA items inside the museum to Ft Sill. They have been VERY slow about getting things moved. The SAMs out in the parking lot was the first shipment of items to Ft. Still.

They would like to take the M2 90 mm gun in the parking lot and the Autocannone da 90/53. Both are going to need a torch and a lot of cutting to make them transportable. Those two just might turn out to be to much trouble to move.

As for the M730A1 Chaparral that was inside the building, I found it outside on Monday.
SN on the carrier is C226, RN is 120016569 date of last overhaul at RRAD, 7-80 per a data plate inside the right cab door.. Serial number on the turret is 003108 with date of last overhaul at RRAD 7-89 per a data plate on the front of the turret.
[img][/img]
Spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#30: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 1, M4A1 76 VVSS Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:53 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

Took a good slow close look at this Sherman on Monday. No sign of any stamped numbers other that the ones on the front upper slope. The M730 is now gone. I checked the inside of the museum. So far it looks like the M730 and a Hummer with a rack for Stinger cases have been removed.

Follow up spot report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board