Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 2. It's a LINGLE!!!!!!!!!!!
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 2. It's a LINGLE!!!!!!!!!!! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:31 am
    ----
Hi Folks!
Sorry about that title.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
The number looks like 2363 on the left side. The number on the right side is stamped twice. The high number is 236 with a 3 stamped over the 6. Low stamping is 2363, the same as the left side. Serial Number????
[img][/img]

My first love has returned to Ft. Bliss. She not an A2, but an A0 is better that no Lingle at all.
Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 2. It's a LINGLE!!!!!!!!!!! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:37 pm
    ----
Hmmm.... Same vehicle?

www.primeportal.net/ap...ueck/m114/

The Bliss one seems to be a good bit more scratched up/paint flaked off on the front...

Unfortunately we have determined that the numbers stamped below the tow lugs are not the SNs... The "Lingle" is apparently the one (?) US vehicle that doesnt have the SN stamped on the outside somewhere...

Neil

#3: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 2. It's a LINGLE!!!!!!!!!!! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:35 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Fokls!

I think you are correct. (Update: Check out the right front headlight guard. Both vehicles have the same damage!) Looking at the headlight groups on both sides, both vehicles have the same items missing. I tried to move the surfboard base, it is rusted in place.

I remember back before I drop out off the internet for a few years we all had figured out that the M114 didn't have exterier SN numbers. I was thinking that passed reports had listed different numbers on the two sides. I was very surpised to see the same number on each side. I was just wondering if any thing had changed while I was lost.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: Something new at Ft Bliss Texas 2. It's a LINGLE!!!!!!!!!!! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:11 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Update on that M114.
The serial number is 2374 and May 1964 is stamped into data plate at the bottom right corner. The RN looks like it was 2AH88. That doesn't line up with any RN's that I can seen in any of the photos that where taken of vehicles in service. That number was painted on the side hull, then repainted over the first one, a bit higher and a little forward of the first one, before both of those layers where painted over with third layer of OD paint.

Last Sunday I was able to open the driver's hatch and climb down inside. I think I am getting a bit to old to be climbing around inside a Lingle!

This old Lingle is not what she seams to be when looking at the outside of her. The first odd thing I noticed was the storage marking on the right wall below that cannon plug. What does that say? Spare feeder? What spare feeder? The M114A0 had a flex mounted M2 HB 50 Cal MG, no need for a spare feeder. The M114A1 had a cradle mounted M2 HB TT 50 Cal MG, again no need for a spare feeder. WAIT A MINUTE! The M114A2 mounted a M139 20mm auto cannon! IT USED A FEEDER! What is going on here?
[img]

Then I started looking around the rear of the vehicle and noticed a very large item laying on the deck. What the h@%l is that? If it had been a rattlesnake, it could have bitten me before I noticed it was there. Odd item number two is a gun cradle for a M139 20mm auto cannon. What is that here?
[img][/img]

Data Plate, notice it has E1 stamped into it. At the time I was inside, I didn't see that. I only saw it once I downloaded the photo to my PC.
[img]

"E1!" This vehicle started service as a M114A0, at some point it was upgrade with a XM27 powered turret and a M139 20 mm auto cannon. Both the M114A0s and the M114A1s had "E1" stamped into their data plates when they received that major upgrade. This vehicle ended it's service as a M114A2, most likly losted it's XM27 turret to the M113 TUA or M113 FIST program. Who ever did that job, layed the gun cradle inside the hull. Somewhere, somehow, someone put a split TC hatch turret on this old girl.

Updated spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board