The Sherman Serial Numbers database
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:32 pm
    ----
Neil,

the UK range target M4A4s were all on Larkhill side of Salisbury Plain.

I have some additions and corrections to the list.

Corrections first!

5667 and 5657 are actually the same vehicle and it is at Nijverdaal.
18888 is now under restoration at Coleraine, NI.
19511 was target J

Additions.

5719 target S
17260 target E now running , private owner Bristol, UK
19406 now running, Kent, UK
20282 target R
21054 target AN

Many of these targets are probably scrapped, range access is now very difficult to confirm if they survive.

Adrian

#17: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:34 pm
    ----
Found a couple more!

19215 target Q
20774 target P

These are all M4A4s on Salisbury Plain

#18: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:56 pm
    ----
tankbarrell,
Do you have any SNs/T-numbers on the M4A1 Sherman DDs on Salisbury Plain?

Neil

#19: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
tankbarrell,
Do you have any SNs/T-numbers on the M4A1 Sherman DDs on Salisbury Plain?

Neil

and pictures please !! Mr. Green

P-O

#20: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:18 pm
    ----
- tankbarrell

5667 and 5657 are actually the same vehicle and it is at Nijverdaal.

Adrian

thanks for the update, but which serial is the good one?
All the SNs you gave are from M4A4s, but do you know if they are fireflies or 75mm tanks?

thanks

Pierre-Olivier

#21: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:36 pm
    ----
SN 20774 :

SN 19511

SN 21054

SN 5271, ex-fire range wreck, now 1 of only 3 M4A4s running with the Multibank engine today :

Guess who is the owner of the latter one ?? Mr. Green

Pierre-Olivier

#22: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:45 am
    ----
- Tichenor
BB-61

May I use your pictures at the Afv Register, credit to you will be added.
BTW its a M4 Composite, a rare type in th US.

Michel

Michel,

You have my permission to use my pictures for the AFV register.

Thanks,

BB-61

#23: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 am
    ----
Neil, the Sherman V DD was at Battlesbury Bowl and is long gone. I do have three bogies from it in my yard though!

P-O, all of the Sherman Vs on the Plain were 75mm, I have never seen a Firefly on a UK range.

#24: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:15 pm
    ----
tankbarrell,
What about the 3 at Bishopstrow Down?

Neil

#25: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:37 pm
    ----
Neil,

I never did see them so cannot comment but I would think it unlikely that they are still there.

Adrian

#26: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm
    ----
the document was updated, I completed the sheets with manufacturers and correct RNs.

Special thanks to Joe DeMarco and Kurt Laughlin.

P-O

#27: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:25 pm
    ----
P-O

Some additional information for the list.
I've been in contact with the owner of the M4(105) witch is in a private collection in Turnhout, Belgium. The serialnumber for this one is 57559.
He also bought the M4(105) from the ardennes 44 museum in Poteau. I'm not yet done, he also bought a Grizzly with shopnumber 9.

Further I found another M4(105) well hidden in the army barracs in Marche-en-Famenne, serialnumber 571xx (last two digits were well hidden under several layers of paint).

Pictures:
M4(105)

M4(105)

Grizzly

M4(105) Marche-en-Famenne

Tichenor

#28: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:58 pm
    ----
- Tichenor
P-O

Some additional information for the list.
I've been in contact with the owner of the M4(105) witch is in a private collection in Turnhout, Belgium. The serialnumber for this one is 57559.
He also bought the M4(105) from the ardennes 44 museum in Poteau.

Well, I was starting to believe that he collects only M4(105)s.

- Tichenor
I'm not yet done, he also bought a Grizzly with shopnumber 9.

The CT painted on the tank is wrong, it should be CT-160202.
Anyway I already have a Grizzly belonging to a private owner in Turnhout in the PDF file. Is it the same tank or another one?

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Grizzlys.pdf

P-O

#29: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:21 am
    ----
- the shadock

Anyway I already have a Grizzly belonging to a private owner in Turnhout in the PDF file. Is it the same tank or another one?

It's the same, the buy was last year around the same time he bougth the one in Poteau. He's not only buying Shermans but also Stuarts. He has three of them now all M5A1's.

So if someone wants to do a remake of The Battle of the Bulge, I know some hardware to use.

Tichenor

#30: Re: The Sherman Serial Numbers database Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:03 am
    ----
P-O

I did look at the picture in your Grizzly Pdf file and I'm thinking the picture you have for the Grizzly in Turnhout isn't correct. The picture I have is a different Grizzly and I did get it from the owner.
Going further true the file I noticed the Grizzly from Christian Dours. I believe thats the same Gizzly, it has the same registration, the same welds on the applic armour.

Tichenor

-> AFV News Discussion Board