i7 going online
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Hardware

#16: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:56 pm
    ----
Grrrr!
Blew up my 600w PSU on a 'puter that probably only uses 5.
Been offline for two weeks until I could get the old one RMA'd.
I hadda give in and buy a new one yesterday!

#17: Re: i7 going online Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 pm
    ----
I try and keep a older (usually unerpowered) machine around just as a 'in case the main one dies' machine. Right now it is actually an ASUS netbook. the screen is small but I could get my fix if I needed too.
Even a tree rat has my sympathy when he can't get his internet fix

#18: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:38 pm
    ----
- bsmart
a tree rat

*Emperor Skwirrell*

#19: Re: i7 going online Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:54 am
    ----
- Shades
Blew up my 600w PSU on a 'puter that probably only uses 5.

Overheated due to fur balls?

#20: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:53 am
    ----
lol - that's cats!

I was putting my old hard drives into my new box.
Went to power back up and nothing.
Dead as the proverbial Madagascan mascot.
Went back under warranty two weeks ago.
Bought this new 700w version of the same PSU in the meantime.

#21: Re: i7 going online Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:50 pm
    ----
erm .........

why didn't you buy a 1.5 kW one ?

they tend to blow up with a bigger bang than the smaller ones Twisted Evil

#22: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:51 pm
    ----
Still have the old one to come back... mebbe I could wire 'em both together for ya.

Matter of interest, in the few seconds it took me to set Norton up to cover the old drives (two partitions on each drive) properly, one of the partitions got hit with a cheeky little trojan (Heuristic.ADH) that took me another six hours to eliminate.
And then I was only to do it with a system restore and then disconnecting the drive before re-booting.
I got all the old files I needed from it so I can format it anyway now.

#23: Re: i7 going online Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 am
    ----
I really don't know why you bother around with Norton, save yourself headaicks, system resources, a lot of money and get NOD32 Wink

#24: Re: i7 going online Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:26 pm
    ----
- Uhu_Fledermaus
I really don't know why you bother around with Norton, save yourself headaches, system resources, a lot of money and get NOD32 Wink

Fled...shhhhhhh! I fix a lot of computers with "norton" issues. Smile By all means everyone, keep runnin' it...

#25: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:53 pm
    ----
You will be aware of how much trepidation I hadda get through before posting that.....!

#26: Re: i7 going online Author: BigDBlueLocation: Plano, Texas, USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:59 pm
    ----
I'm running the i-7 930 also and want to overclock. What voltages are you guys setting for 3.8, 4.0 and 4.2? I'm running Windows7 64Bit.

#27: Re: i7 going online Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:09 pm
    ----
Great timing! I am looking at the I7 875K (or I7 950 that just went sub - $300 I7 950)... still sniffing about at MOBOs etc... seems that the CPU is FSXs' biggest bottleneck? (read somewhere that it was meant to be used at 6.0g - unachievable and typical M$)....

#28: Re: i7 going online Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:27 pm
    ----
Far as I know (and I haven't looked since I built this thing), the max stable clock is still 4.0GHz.
There are different types of i7 and you need to make sure you get the right one if you're overclocking.
But don't make the mistake of buying a 3.0 GHz one and thinking it will clock higher.
Mine's rated for 2.6 GHz.
I've got it to 3.8 GHz and it would go to 4.0 if I were braver and needed it to.

The CPU is only a bottleneck for the boards which are being made to cope with the overclocks it can achieve.
After that RAM than GPU will slow you down.
No point in having a soopa-doopa CPU if you aren't getting soppa-doopa everything else, specially in a gaming rig.
Mine's only audio so I was able to save on the GPU, but my RAM's good as well.

Sadly, someone else's settings will be irellevant to your system as the timings / voltages /tolerances will be different.
You should also test, test, test, all the way through the procedure or you will not achieve a stable clock.

Having never clocked anything before, I read up when I did mine.
The following links will help you, for various i7's:-

www.clunk.org.uk/forum...nners.html

www.bit-tech.net/hardw...e-i7-920/1

www.overclock.net/inte...930-a.html

www.overclock.net/inte...guide.html

www.tomshardware.com/r...,2590.html

If all else fails....:-
www.google.co.uk/#hl=e...7fe15faecf

Hope this helps.

Don't forget to leave those acorns on the bird table for your friendly neighbourhood skwirrells with winter on the way.

#29: Re: i7 going online Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:38 am
    ----
Rog-O, the I5 and I7 "K" series are unlocked... PC Aviator was able to get 3.6g out of the I7-875K and the I5-655K was very stable 3.46, but they have 2-channel memory where your 920 (and the 950) have 3 channels.. how much difference it makes I would like to know... Its getting so hard for an old timer to stay up on this - I am thankful for toms hardware etc (and my ComC M8's too of course)...

slow

Gaming CPU Hierarchy Chart (Toms Hardware)

-> Hardware