Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:33 pm
    ----
Apart from the wreck that was seen in Kabul a few years ago, this s the only survivor. The tyres says it was used after the thirties.

Most likely in anti-partisan warfare after 1943, by either the germans or RSI (but this is just speculation).

Massimo

#2: Re: Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:53 pm
    ----
It probably was a Lancia 1ZM originally but they were all modernised and renamed Lancia 1ZM Modello 1930 (yeah nit-picking I know) with new wheels, tyres and MG in 1930. The actual armoured bodies were first used on the Ansaldo AB M1915 armoured cars.

Interestingly enough these were all supposed to have been lost in Italian East Africa or Libya in WW2.. Maybe it was originally at some training unit in Italy?

#3: Re: Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:58 am
    ----
Interestingly enough these were all supposed to have been lost in Italian East Africa or Libya in WW2

Quite a few were used for anti-partisan warfare after 1943, both by german and RSI units. Pictures and documents prove this. More info available inside some italian books:
www.zimmerit.com/zimme...rafia.html

Unfortunately I was so far unable to associated this vehicle with its former unit. For the two L 3s stored in the same Museum instead, there is some evidence they served in the "Gruppo Squadroni Corazzati San Giusto" before being acquired by Diego de Henriquez.

Massimo

#4: Re: Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:14 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Interestingly enough these were all supposed to have been lost in Italian East Africa or Libya in WW2

Quite a few were used for anti-partisan warfare after 1943, both by german and RSI units. Pictures and documents prove this. More info available inside some italian books:

Massimo

My italian is non-existant... any idea how many were used?

#5: Re: Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:23 am
    ----
My italian is non-existant... any idea how many were used?

Recent italian books may give us a pretty clear estimation of the AFVs used by RSI units. I am thinking about "REPARTI CORAZZATI DELLA REPUBBLICA SOCIALE ITALIANA 1943/1945" by Paolo Crippa, "COME IL DIAMANTE - I carristi italiani 1943-1945" by Sergio Corbatti and Marco Nava and "FORZE ARMATE DELLA RSI 1943-1945 'Forze di terra" by Carlo Cucut.

As far as I know things are less clear as far as the ones used by the germans.

Massimo

#6: Re: Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:06 pm
    ----
I was looking for pictures in Wikipedia and fund this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...hwagen.jpg

Massimo

#7: Re: Trieste, Museo Diego de Henriquez: Lancia 1Z Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:50 am
    ----
A newspaper published an article on the collection, with some short extracts from Diego de Henriquez's diaries (he left dozen of diaries, covering a very long period). From the diaries we learn that this armoured car was recovered in october 1945 by de Henriquez, autorized by the local administration. After the WW II, two such cars were fund inside Caserma Ettore Muti (caserma is italian for barracks), then moved to viale Miramare (Miramare boulevard). From there de Henriquez pick the one in better conditions.

This is interesting both because we learn about the recovery date, and because it tells at least another vehicle survived WW II in the same area. Still we don't know if this armoured car was used by italian or german forces after 1943.

-> AFV News Discussion Board