Artillery in The Netherlands 47mm PAG Bohler
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Artillery in The Netherlands 47mm PAG Bohler Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:39 pm
    ----
original designation: anti-tank kanon 47mm Bohler (PAG)

anti-tank kanon = anti tank gun
PAG stands for Pantser afweer geschut = anti tank gun

country of origin: The Netherlands
picture's taken: 2009 Cavalry Museum, Amersfoort

The gun was build in Austria and was taken in to service in 1938

It is the same gun as in the post of Massimo: Swiss artillery: 4,7 cm 1935-41
In an matter of fact, this gun is even Swiss as it has been aquired from the Swiss Armee Museum

Michel

#2: Re: Artillery in The Netherlands 47mm PAG Bohler Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:01 am
    ----
Looks like it still wearing the swiss painting. The swiss guns were build by Thun arsenal under license. What about the dutch weapons, were they direct import from Austria?

Same weapon, without shield and muzzle brake was build under license in Italy and used a lot during WW II. It did fine during the early years, but soon became useless facing heavier tanks.
Here you can see one gun in Bergamo:

Massimo

#3: Re: Artillery in The Netherlands 47mm PAG Bohler Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:45 pm
    ----
What about the dutch weapons, were they direct import from Austria

I can not find any clear information about this
Apperently the Dutch army had about 386 of this type of canon at the start of the war

Some of these had the designation of Hembrug-Bohler instead of just Bohler
And these guns had an under carrige made by DAF

Hembrug was an Dutch arms manufacturer, however they also did modifications
It could have been that Hembrug build complete guns, or just modified them Confused

When I get home I will search the picture's I have of the gun in Amersfoort
On one of the picture's is the description and an short history of the gun, maybe it will be clear then

Michel

#4: Re: Artillery in The Netherlands 47mm PAG Bohler Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:51 pm
    ----
I found the picture with the description and an sort history

All the guns where manufactured in Austria and the first where delivered in 1938
The gun shields where hardly delivered and the one's delivered where hardly ever used.
The effective range of the gun was 900m, what was good for 1940 standards

The gun is displayed with the wheels taken of, because this is the most stable fring platform.
An trained crew could perform the drill in 20-30 seconds

Some additional picture's

This gun is different than the one's used in the Dutch army of 38-40
I could find some picture's of Dutch guns during the war, biggest difference are the wheels
They should like the one's that are on the picture Massimo posted
Also the muzzle brake is slighty different

Michel

#5: Re: Artillery in The Netherlands 47mm PAG Bohler Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:08 pm
    ----
Some picture's of an Dutch 47mm Bohler during the war

The site is Dutch only, but the picture's that can be found give an good impression of the war around Dordrecht (if some one needs an translation let me know Wink )

The gun was destroyed on 13 may 1940 by an German tank on Spuiplein in Dordrecht

www.grebbeberg.nl/dord...07_63.html

same gun an little later, it is not resting on the barrel any more but on the legs

www.grebbeberg.nl/dord...07_32.html

This last picture gives an good view of the muzzle brake and wheels
The shield on the gun appears to be the same as the one with the gun in Amersfoort

Michel

#6: Re: Artillery in The Netherlands 47mm PAG Bohler Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:01 pm
    ----
I know the following is not artillery, but it is armoured and has to do with the subject Wink

During my visits to various museums in The Netherlands I also visited the Engineering Museum of the Dutch army at Vught

They do not have weapons, however they have something that has to do with the 47mm Bohler AT-gun

In 1939 the Dutch goverment ordered in Belgium 160 turrets made out of manganese steel that could be fixed at fortifications
These turrets came in 2 different sizes
The bigger one was intended as turret for the 47mm AT-gun and the smaler one was for heavy machine guns

The Engineering Museum has the MG and the AT-gun turret

The wall's of this AT-gun turret are 14cm (5.5 inch), estimated heigth of the turret 2.5m (8.2 ft)

So far there are only two known that still exist

Michel

-> Artillery Forum