Southern NM Dusters
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Southern NM Dusters Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:32 am
    ----
While visiting family this past weekend(20th-24th Nov) I had a chance on the return trip to stop a get pictures and vehicle info on the M42's that are in Las Cruces, Deming. The museum in Lordsburg was closed and their M42 was behind the locked gate so I will have to stop back there on my next trip.
Question on the M42, are there any external differences btwn the M42 & M42A1? I know the main difference was the engine change, but were there modifications that had to be made to accomadate the new engine & if so where?
Las Cruces, NM

BB-61

Last edited by BB-61 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:50 am; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:44 am
    ----
Both vehicles still had both of their spare barrels on them. Is this a common thing or are these the exceptions?

Deming, NM

#3: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:02 am
    ----
BB-61,
Is this the Las Cruces armory?

maps.google.com/maps?f...5&t=h&z=17

Neil

#4: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 am
    ----
Neil,

Yes that is the Las Cruces armory.

BB-61

#5: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:56 pm
    ----
The first registration may be pretty close (40230838 . . . other T141/M42s have been in the 4022xxxx range), the second one (8338083) is probably a part number. M42s should be 12Cxxxx or 12Dxxxx. Sometimes the alphanumeric R/N is stamped on the glacis below the headlight, other times it's only visible as a painted marking on one side.

KL

#6: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:57 pm
    ----
Kurt,

Thanks for the info. I will double check them next time I go back.

The Las Cruces M42 had the RN painted just below the right headlight but has so much paint on it that if there is a number on the hull it's painted over to where it can't be read.

The Deming one had the number stamped on it below the right headlight and I didn't see any other numbers on it.

BB-61

#7: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:41 pm
    ----
Lordsburg M42 sn 5082.

Finally hit the museum in Lordsburg when it was open. Here are a couple of pictures of their M42 on display. Its not in the best spot for photos with farm equipment in front of it.
Museum website: www.lordsburghidalgoco...umhome.htm

BB-61

Last edited by BB-61 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

#8: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:50 pm
    ----
- BB-61
Lordsburg M42 sn 5082.

Finally hit the museum in Lordsburg when it was open. Here are a couple of pictures of their M42 on display. Its not in the best spot for photos with farm equipment in front of it.

[img]http://com-central.net/index.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=165[/img]
[img]http://com-central.net/index.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=165&pos=1[/img]
[img]http://com-central.net/index.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=165&pos=2[/img]

BB-61

I'm not sure why, but your images in last post do not show for me. I editted to add the "slash" ahead of "img" at end, which was lacking, but that didn't fix it. However, if I copy/paste the URL, they show.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? Might be a glitch that needs reporting, we have modified the image posting and resizing software.

#9: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:29 pm
    ----
Visible to me Doug.

#10: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 pm
    ----
Me too, now. Maybe I needed to refresh after editing. I left the site and came back and they're there.

Thanks for the feedback.

#11: Re: Southern NM Dusters Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:36 pm
    ----
I went back in and posted them as attachments.

BB-61

-> AFV News Discussion Board