Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:10 pm
    ----
I'm realy not into petitions and stuff like that, but today some disturbing news did catch my attention.
www.wereldinoorlog.be/...amp;t=2521
It reads,
The Belgian Minister of Defense , Pieter De Crem , decided to close down 32 military camps by 2011. One of the camps is the 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne , home of the 1st Field Artillery Regiment , deployed in Afghanistan .
It was in these barracks where Brig Gen Anthony McAuliffe has set up his HQ for the 101st Airborne Division during the Battle for Bastogne . Here is where McAuliffe wrote his world famous reply 'NUTS' to the German demand to surrender on 22 december 1944. This place , the NUTS-Cellar is a historical marker maintained by good people from the Belgium army , like Eric Lemoine and Michel Marecaux , who spent a countless amount of free hours to preserve this place . The Heintz Barracks has been visited by many WWII veterans over the past years ... Medals from city council were presented here and still many heroes come back to visit the barracks on their pilgrimage ...
The minister thinks of taking the place down and build a State Prison there .
I hope we can start to fight back to preserve this historical marker. I do believe we owe it to the brave men of the greatest generation to preserve their legacy and do whatever we can to "SAVE " the "NUTS "- cellar ....

I need all the help I can get to fight back

A petition has been started here

Michel

Last edited by Tichenor on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:17 am
    ----
A prison ??????????
THAT is kick in the groin! Mad

#3: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 am
    ----
Unconcionable, and I know enough Dutch members who are likely to resent this as well. Holland benefitted from the liberation as much or more than any other western European nation and has historically been much more inclined to publically acknowledge and celebrate it. Maybe this is a sign of things to come as history is forgotten.*

*Which is not to ignore the many sacrifices and risks taken by the Dutch people in facilitating their own liberation by resistance and cooperation, which was sometimes considerable.

Seems an insensitive disregard for the contributions of at least four countries to boot the occupiers out in favor of who-knows-what....and to what purpose.

#4: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:49 am
    ----
Just signed the petition,

I cannot believe they would do this. Hopefully enough noise will be made to make them re think closing this particular Barracks. Maybe a news organization can report on this and get more involved.

#5: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: zundappukLocation: Behind the Westwall, really! PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 pm
    ----
JG300-Ascout,

Err, isn't it in Belgium? I know the Dutch think they own the place, but......

David

#6: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:52 pm
    ----
I know the Dutch think they own the place

No thanks, we do not need it
We have some places of our own that are known in history Cool

Besides my French is very bad Mr. Green

Michel

#7: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:16 pm
    ----
- zundappuk
JG300-Ascout,

David

well, Michel Krauss is right, that's in the francophone zone... so we French people may think that we own the place, not Dutch people..

P-O

#8: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 pm
    ----
- zundappuk
JG300-Ascout,

David

What a coincidence, in the near future we deploy some Leopard 2A6s towards the French speaking part for some training. Mr. Green

Regards,
Lesley

#9: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:15 am
    ----
I thought with the Common Market and the Euro borders didn't matter in Europe anymore Wink

#10: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:22 am
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
I know the Dutch think they own the place

No thanks, we do not need it
We have some places of our own that are known in history Cool

Besides my French is very bad Mr. Green

Michel

You are so right, let's just call it a brain fart or Wild Turkey moment and let it go at that.

You'd think a 101st veteran would know better.

#11: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:50 am
    ----
I thought with the Common Market and the Euro borders didn't matter in Europe anymore

You may be listening to much to "political correct" fairy tails Wink

#12: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:34 pm
    ----
Anyway, our tankunit has a very good relationship with the Belgian 1/4th Lancers in Leopoldsburg. Both in the field and in the pub Smile . Personally I know more tankcollegues from the 1/4th Lancers than from the other NLD tkbat in the northern part of the Netherlands.

#13: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:01 pm
    ----
Lesley

Sorry to correct you, but its 2/4 lancers. Sadly the unit is one of the casualties of the reform next year (as is 1/3 lancers). There won't be a heavy armour unit left after the reform.

Michel

#14: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 pm
    ----
I see it, visited yesterday the 1/3th Lancers in Marche en Famenne and made up a complete new unit in my mind Confused

#15: Re: Of the record; 'Heinz Barracks ' in Bastogne Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:16 am
    ----
Juat curious from my limited knowledge of NL Tank Battalions,....

Is 1/41 Tank Battalion (NL) still active?

In CAT 89 those guys 'rocked our socks off' and shot High Platoon in the Competition. A VERY impressive performance.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board