Hmm ...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Hmm ... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm
    ----

#2: Re: Hmm ... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 am
    ----
I know the British converted some Grants into command tanks but this pic just doesn't look right to me.

#3: Re: Hmm ... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 am
    ----
I think the hull looks like an early M7 Priest. The Right side doesn't have the setback gunmount that the Grant would have.

Possibly s 'defrocked priest' disguised with a fake turret?

#4: Re: Hmm ... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:40 am
    ----
- bsmart
I think the hull looks like an early M7 Priest. The Right side doesn't have the setback gunmount that the Grant would have.

Possibly s 'defrocked priest' disguised with a fake turret?

Or, it's a false front superstructure to make it look more like a Sherman since the Grants had been replaced by them by the time some of the command vehicles were made. Note the round protrusion on the right side of the false glacis. It's probably supposed to represent a Sherman type antenna pot.

#5: Re: Hmm ... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:47 am
    ----
Yea, I also just noticed the side door Rolling Eyes

The funny thing I seem to remember seeing a similar picture with a large fake turret on a Grant or Priest Hull. I can't remember where but the large flat turret looks familiar

#6: Re: Hmm ... Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:08 am
    ----
I thought it looked like a Priest too. At first glance the turret made me think of the M6 Heavy Tank.

#7: Re: Hmm ... Author: Buq-Buq PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:57 am
    ----
It is definitely a Grant command tank, vis-modded to look like a Sherman. As posted above, the clues are the side door, the hand-full of rivets just above and to the right of the door, and the gunner's sight, just above the 'radio pot' bulge on the front plate. By the way, this Grant is an M3A3-version: note the welded hull (possibly an M3A2, but as there were only 12 of those built, I think I'm safe going with an M3A3).

I'm pretty sure that this picture is in Hunnicutt.

Mark

edited to add "command tank" 30 Dec 2009

-> AFV News Discussion Board