Preserved Tanks in Italy
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:08 pm
    ----
You are most welcome, Trevor.
To answer your question, you can call it Semovente Sexton da 105/22. They certainly use this kind of designation here: www.ferreamole.it/cont...nto_02.htm

#17: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 pm
    ----
Costas_TT - thanks for that information, I'll make a note to update my site when I return to working on tanks in Italy. Would the Sexton have a new designation once upgraded (something like the Semovente da 105/34 you mention)?

#18: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:13 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

Thanks a lot Hanno! I almost had no more hope to solve this one

Massimo

that's always a matter of time..

P-O

#19: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:53 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra

I think you will find this is one of the "Europa Jeep" prototypes.

Thanks a lot Hanno! I almost had no more hope to solve this one

Massimo

#20: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Costas_TT PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:31 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

Trevor, from what I can see in your site, about all Italian Sextons have been rearmed with the 105mm Obice da 105/22 while retaining the 25-pdr recoil system - note the muzzle brake. The M2HB mount on the right front superstructure, plus another fitted to the rear of the fighting compartment are postwar additions.

Some links showing the howitzer on the original 25-pdr towed carriage:
peppetringali.myblog.i...di-ci.html

www.modellismopiu.it/m..._id=109458

www.flickr.com/photos/...902305537/

www.flickr.com/photos/.../446339332

www.comune.tronzanover...DNews=7386

2.bp.blogspot.com/-izM...nicolo.jpg

And some interior pics of the vehicle can be found here: www.flickr.com/photos/...698674615/

As a sidenote, the Italians also modified some M7B1 HMCs with longer ordnance, designating them Semovente da 105/34.

#21: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:51 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Since we are talking about Cecchignola, there are two vehicles I was unable to identify, they sit in an area together with a few prototypes covered by a few years of dust.

I can post a few extra shots if the need arise.
Just a few meters away there is a FIAT - MAN - Saviem, plus some old italian armoured cars prototypes: AVH, AVM and AVL.

I think you will find this is one of the "Europa Jeep" prototypes.

From my defunct website copied to www.reocities.com/spoe...r-jeep.htm :

"In the 1960s France, West Germany and Italy started a joint project for a new 500 kg 4x4 amphibious vehicle which became known as the 'Europa-Jeep'. Prototypes were built by two consortia, Fiat/MAN/Saviem and Büssing/Hotchkiss/Lancia. Two German companies, MBB and Glas/BMW, also built lightweight 4x4 amphibious vehicles but none entered production. The project progressed very slowly, and when France subsequently withdrew the project was cancelled in 1976.

Only the Italian Army eventually took a number of the amphibious Fiat/MAN/Saviem field cars in service."

#22: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:28 pm
    ----
www.ww2museums.com/art...-Lungo.htm

www.panoramio.com/photo/49618411

www.euro-t-guide.com/S...ry_4-1.htm

#23: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:38 pm
    ----
some updates for preserved tanks in Italy. Trevor, the maps with the location of the tanks that could be found on your website were helpful during my trip and nearly all of the locations are exact.

However, the M4(75) "Cookie" at Ortona is located in another place yet. The GPS coordinates on Google maps are 42.330992,14.391875
Yet the satellite view and street view show nothing, the images are too old, but I'm 100% sure of the location. The roundabout / traffic circle has been built recently.

Some places are missing in the "Italy" section of Preservedtanks :
-Chieti, M4A2(75) : 42.360494,14.194781
-Monte Lungo memorial, M4(75), M10 Tank Destroyer, M4 Firefly turret :
-Gambatesa, M36 Jackson : 41.509513,14.913661

P-O

#24: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:38 pm
    ----
New entries:

Forte Bramafam, Bardonecchia

[img]http://preservedtanks.com/Albums/Italian/5300-Carro%20Armato%20M13%2340/IMG-0398_M13_Bramafan_MFoti_c.jpg[/img]

Emplaced M15/42

Polveriera, Alice Castello

Emplaced M15/42 (no pictures)

As usual click through to each tank's profile page to see links to pictures and videos of them on the Internet.

#25: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:09 pm
    ----
New entry:

Tempio della Fraternità, Cella, Varzi Pavia

Sexton

#26: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:03 am
    ----
New entry:

Museo Gottard Park, Castelletto Sopra Ticino

AMX-13

#27: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 pm
    ----
The M15/42 at Palmanova, like many around Italy, was recovered from a static emplacement. Many tanks after the war - primarily M26, M4 and M15/42 - were buried in concrete and turned into fixed bunkers with the aim of delaying an invasion of Italy from the east. The primary defensive line was along the Tagliamento River. Since many tanks also remain in situ, I have researched and written this up as a 'location'. The amazing thing is that these sites are alongside many major roads and bridges in this region, but most people driving past won't have a clue what they are. For the full details click through to each tank's profile page where you can see links to Italian forums and other websites which have better photographic coverage of the tanks inside these empacements.

Tagliamento Line

M26 Pershing, M15/42, 9 x Sherman

I 'drove' around this area in Google Street View and found many such emplacements (usually disguised as some form shed or small building). They are definitely emplacements as they are regularly spaced and most match locations photographed by Italian enthusiasts. Here are a few I found, but haven't put on PTC since I can't be certain these particular ones still contain tanks - they are along the road to Rome just west of the San Michele bridge:

maps.google.com/maps?q...29,,0,2.33

maps.google.com/maps?q....07,,0,1.4

maps.google.com/maps?q...2,,0,-4.51

#28: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:46 pm
    ----
New entry, Palmanova:

Caserma G. Durli, Palmanova, Udine

[img]http://preservedtanks.com/Albums/Italian/5350-Carro%20Centro%20Radio%20M15%2342/CIMG0250_M15_Palmanova_L_NCampolongo_c.jpg[/img]

L3/35, M15/42 radio (shown)

#29: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:01 pm
    ----
I don't know if you guys have seen the first comment here:

preservedtanks.com/Com...entryid=29

I have had no further response, so I don't know how to proceed further. I looked for contact details online but the name is not unique (and I think there is another better-known Robert Surette who is also a sculptor, just to confuse things). Let me know if you have any suggestions, otherwise I just have to wait for him to return to that page at some point and respond.

#30: Re: Preserved Tanks in Italy Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I was prompted to by your comments, it is a sad case.

For what's worth, all the italian enthusiasts I've talked with, fully agree with you.

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board