News from Ft Knox
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#226: Another chalk bites the dust Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:49 pm
    ----
Seen today at the railhead at Fort Knox. (Serial numbers according to the shipping labels, I did not cross-check these.)

These tanks have white circles painted on their front slopes with a presumed destination painted in the circle, but some of them show destnations other than Fort Benning, and I thought all of these were going to Benning. In the list below, the destination in the white circle is shown.

M60A3, S/N 3854A (marked for Anniston, AL and Ft Benning)
M48A1, S/N 2538 (Benning)
MBT-70 Test Bed, S/N 6 (Benning)
M26, S/N 1761 (marked for Carlisle, PA)
XM803, S/N 40449 (marked for APG)
M26, S/N 1773 (Benning)
M47 cutaway, S/N 20 (Benning)

#227: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:28 pm
    ----
Friday 24 June

"The Last Train to Georgia"....

Regards
Don

#228: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:42 pm
    ----
I'm glad I took a bunch of pics of the T-28 in the MATES a couple weeks ago. It sat there so peaceful for so long ...

Don, do you know - did they put the pack back in the T-28 to ship it? It was on a pack stand in front of the tank while it was sitting at the MATES.

#229: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:48 pm
    ----
I'm not sure. These photos were taken by a fellow volunteer & forwarded to me.

I assume it will be shipped along with the tank if it isn't installed.

Regards
Don

#230: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:23 pm
    ----
The Cobra King section in the NACM section on Armor for the Ages has been updated with a page of new photos showing markings that have been applied, one set of track and a failed attempt to free up the right drive sprocket.

armorfortheages.com/NA...ctPage.htm

Also the NACM News section has been updated with photos of the last shipment of vehicles from Richardson motor pool to Fort Benning.

www.armorfortheages.co...wsPage.htm

Garry

#231: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm
    ----
Some tanks at the Patton Museum have been moving around. As of yesterday, the Sherman "Storm" had been moved out of Keyes Park to a pad in front of the museum (with the rest). The M60A1 and M47 that were in front of the museum, have been moved over to the bay door on the side; presumably these two are moving inside?

Another change that I noticed ... the 194th Armored Brigade insignia on the big white 194th rock in Keyes Park has been painted over. Why in the world did they do this???

#232: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm
    ----
Geoff

The two tanks moved around to the bay doors will be cleaned up, repainted, and moved inside for exhibition expansion. These are the first of many planned moves as more vehicles will be incorporated into interior exhibit 'period dioramas'.

As for 'the rock',.....I'm clueless.

Regards
Don

#233: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:51 am
    ----
Armor for the Ages has been updated in the following areas:

The Cobra King section has been updated with the last page showing her being loaded for transport to Fort Benning.
armorfortheages.com/NA...ctPage.htm
This ends a two-year project and one of the most comprehensive records of a vehicle cosmetic restoration and research of its combat history.

The RSO was also shipped. A final look can be seen at armorfortheages.com/NA...ctPage.htm

Go to the Patton Museum Volunteer News section to see the new sign and marquee now in front of the museum. armorfortheages.com/GG...wsPage.htm

Garry

#234: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:24 pm
    ----
Exciting news from the Patton Museum. The volunteers are currently involved in a new vehicle restoration project. Headed by Don Moriarty, the volunteers are in the first stages of restoring the CCKW Patton Command Van to its 1944 appearance. Go to armorfortheages.com/ to see what is happening with this historic vehicle.

Garry

#235: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:08 pm
    ----
Hello,

I'm under the impression that you guys at the Patton Museum can't stay without restoring a vehicle.. and it's a very good thing !!

P-O

#236: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:20 pm
    ----
It's what we live for. Smile

Even though all of the "good stuff" has been taken away, we have been truly fortunate to be able to work on some very historic vehicles over the years. Hopefully the Patton van will be the first of more to come.

Garry

#237: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:43 pm
    ----
Glad to hear you are going to be busy again!

What about facilities, do you still have the equipment to perform restorations over there?

Massimo

#238: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:04 pm
    ----
Unfortunately no. All of the work is being done in an empty part of the museum with no lifting capability. We only have basic tools and a portable compressor. I don't think the van will need any special tools or equipment. Paint removal will be part chemical and part elbow grease. I haven't been able to do any work on her yet. Don has been doing almost all of it by himself. Some of the volunteers have helped when able. I hope to start making regular trips to work on the van after the first of the year if Don permits it. Smile

#239: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:58 am
    ----
Gee Garry, you know I can't do it ALL by myself. I'm just getting the ball rolling......

You of all should know that I'm just too much of a 'busy-body'. I've been sitting on my hands for too long, so I figured we needed to start somewhere.

It wouldn't have been possible without the new staff of the museum agreeing to the project.

Massimo: The area that used to house the WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and cold war exhibits are large, expansive empty rooms. The van is in the area that used to be the Vietnam/cold war gallerys.

Currently we have no restoration shop or work area so we are doing all the work in the back area of the museum.

Regards
Don

#240: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 am
    ----
Armor for the Ages has been updated with five new pages on the Patton command van restoration.

Patton Museum volunteers main page:
armorfortheages.com/GG...PMmain.htm

Link to the Patton command van restoration:
armorfortheages.com/GG...ctPage.htm

Thanks,
Garry

-> AFV News Discussion Board