News from Ft Knox
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#241: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 am
    ----
Armor for the Ages has been updated with more pages and photos of the Patton command van restoration. Also, news on the Patton Sedan at the Chicago Auto Show and photos of the new place for the museum volunteers to work. The National Armor and Cavalry now have their own motor pool. Photos of their new place is on the NACM section under NACM News.

armorfortheages.com/

Garry

#242: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:12 pm
    ----
Armor for the Ages has been updated. The Patton Museum section has been updated with a review of the Life of the Soldier event and updates on the Patton Van restoration and other news. The National Armor Collection's NACM News section has been updated with photos of vehicles that have been relocated to the motor pool and the arrival of a Panzer II and Marder II.

armorfortheages.com/

Garry

#243: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 pm
    ----
Very nice.

#244: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:42 pm
    ----
The Patton Museum volunteers section of Armor for the Ages has been updated with new items. A recent search of areas at Fort Knox has revealed some interesting finds, a link to an online article about volunteer Kevin Combs II and a link to the first installment of a five-part video presentation of changes at the Patton Museum by director Chris Kolakowski are presented in this update.

armorfortheages.com/GG...PMmain.htm

Garry

#245: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:49 pm
    ----
- Garry_Redmon
The Patton Museum volunteers section of Armor for the Ages has been updated with new items. A recent search of areas at Fort Knox has revealed some interesting finds, a link to an online article about volunteer Kevin Combs II and a link to the first installment of a five-part video presentation of changes at the Patton Museum by director Chris Kolakowski are presented in this update.

Garry

here :
http://armorfortheages.com/GGPM/Volunteers/News/VolunteerNewsPage2013.htm

the link to "GHOSTS OF FORT KNOX" is a dead link.

P-O

#246: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 pm
    ----
there is an M26 Pershing turret lying on the fire range, and I know a Pershing hull in the USA that needs a turret Neutral

P-O

#247: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:22 pm
    ----
PO

That turret is pretty much 'used up'. Its been subject to so many hits on one side, it looks like someone sprayed acid all over it a it is dissolved away... The sad reality of range target 'duty'.

Hope to find other stuff in better condition though....I got a feeling 'it's' out there, we just gotta find it.

The search continues...
Regards
Don

#248: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:31 am
    ----
Original idea guys! What type of range are these old hulks on?
Dan

#249: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 am
    ----
- the_shadock
- Garry_Redmon

Garry

here :
http://armorfortheages.com/GGPM/Volunteers/News/VolunteerNewsPage2013.htm

the link to "GHOSTS OF FORT KNOX" is a dead link.

P-O

Both links on the Patton Museum volunteers page work for me. Here is the direct link to Ghosts of Fort Knox page.
armorfortheages.com/GG...ctPage.htm

Garry

#250: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 am
    ----
The ranges we have checked out were some Tank main gun ranges but also some multi purpose Machine Gun ranges as well as some old bazooka and heavy Machine Gun ranges.

Hope to check out some old WWII era ranges next time..

Regards
Don

#251: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 am
    ----
As I have written before....I live on the wrong side of the continent. Sad

#252: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: PatrikLocation: Czech republic PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:02 am
    ----
Hello.
You will wreck the M3 Lee tank renovate?
Patrik

#253: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:28 am
    ----
I assume Patrik means you'll renovate the Lee wreck!
Unless he knows something about your engineering that I don't!

#254: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:49 pm
    ----
Don, do you have a history of the ranges? It looked like there were many trees in the photos and I'm assuming that they are quite old.
Dan

#255: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:37 pm
    ----
Discovering the M3 was an astonishing set of circumstances. It seems that particular area was heavily over grown but a range fire burned back the brush last year and the tank was discovered by the range crew who was fighting the fire.

That range has been in semi-constant use since WWII, but has undergone name changes, over the years.

The M3 is actually fairly safe as it is out of the current line of fire and it is around the 3000m mark from the base line.

Personally I like it to remain 'original condition' but preserved and maybe displayed as an example of training conducted at Ft Knox. Not merely as a range target but the full cycle of being a training vehicle for personnel preparing for WWII.

Will it ever be restored? I seriously doubt it, but I'd like to rescue it as the rarity that it is, everything after that is a bonus...

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board