News from Ft Knox
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#76: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:36 pm
    ----
The discussion about the FK Pz III has prompted me to start uploading my FK photos, starting with the German vehicles, so this is good timing. The Hummel photos are here:

Fort Knox Hummel (UID189)

- Dontos
Well technically. It is one of the original Patton Collection pieces that arrived at Ft Knox in 1946. It was one of two Hummels. It seems that most of those original vehicles came to Ft Knox via APG.

That was news to me, Don, so I've added the information - I hope that's alright. Would I be pushing my luck to ask if it would be alright to add your new photos?

For those not familiar with it, this is the other Hummel originally at FK:

Munster Hummel (UID187)

#77: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:39 pm
    ----
Trevor

You are not pushing your luck at all. Feel free to use any of the photos I have posted.

Regards
Don

#78: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:38 am
    ----
I just thought i would post this for no reason
just happen to see it

#79: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:54 am
    ----
I wonder what they were thinking on their choice of color?
Dan

#80: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:37 am
    ----
- panamadan
I wonder what they were thinking on their choice of color?
Dan
Dan,

That pic looks to me like it is in the original colors. Compared to the US vehicle (half-track?) in the background, the color is significantly lighter than OD.

Over the years we have had several extensive discussions here about the unreliability of colors in older photos. Suffice it to say that you really shouldn't judge the color from that print. There are so many factors, starting with the chemistry of the film/negative itself, that affect the appearance of colors in those old B/W pictures. And don't even START the discussion of color photos... Rolling Eyes

Chuck

#81: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:59 am
    ----
It has lost its headlight and the spare tracks since the 80´s I can see.

#82: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:05 pm
    ----
What I'm talking about is the tanish color that vehicles at APG were painted many years ago-and this Hummel seems to be in the same color. I'm not debating what color is correct for OD, etc just their odd choice of color.
Dan

#83: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:50 pm
    ----
I have made a page showing the Hummels as they appeared at the old Patton Museum c. 1965 showing paint schemes along with the late model shown behind the new museum in the late 90s. The quality of the old museum photos are not great since they were taken with a Brownie box camera.

The page can be viewed at armorfortheages.com/Hummel.htm

Don may be privy to more information than I, but I wasn't aware that the Hummels came to the museum via APG. I was told that all of the vehicles from the original collection that came in 1946 were vehicles selected by 3rd Army staff during the war by order of General Patton and sent directly to Fort Knox after his death for use by the Armor School.

Garry

#84: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:58 pm
    ----
Garry,
Is there are writen or photografic records of the vehicles that were collected?

#85: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:26 pm
    ----
Nice battledamage on the Hummel with the hole in the barrel.

#86: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:59 pm
    ----
- panamadan
Garry,
Is there are writen or photografic records of the vehicles that were collected?

I'm sure there is something in the museum's records. Since Don has been doing alot of research in the library, that's probably where he found out about the APG connection.

#87: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:14 pm
    ----
Let's hope that he has some luck! It would make a quite a photo-albuim.
Dan

#88: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm
    ----
When I see those photos of the old museum and Bob's pics, I get really annoyed with myself for not having taken more pictures back in the early '70's when I had the chance. Had an Insta-matic in '71, but 35mm when I came back in '72....unfortunately, I didn't have the interest. Grrrr......

#89: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:21 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Trevor

You are not pushing your luck at all. Feel free to use any of the photos I have posted.

Regards
Don

Many thanks! I've added that photo plus your ones on PhotoBucket, so the 'time machine' view is coming along very nicely:

Fort Knox Hummel (UID189)

- Garry_Redmon
I have made a page showing the Hummels as they appeared at the old Patton Museum c. 1965 showing paint schemes along with the late model shown behind the new museum in the late 90s. The quality of the old museum photos are not great since they were taken with a Brownie box camera.

The page can be viewed at armorfortheages.com/Hummel.htm

Nice pics - I've added a link to that page on each Hummel's page (and to the Munster StuG page).

#90: Re: News from Ft Knox Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:07 pm
    ----
A year or so ago, while doing some research, I was shown one of the first deliver manifests, dated Dec 1946. The list was quite incomplete to what is known as original collection vehicles. It was a fairly short list, so the complete 'Patton Collection' of WWII vehicles did not arrive in one shipment but in several.

I do know of a couple vehicles that were photographed at APG prior to arriving here at Ft Knox. They are part of the original collection, so my assumption is that they may have been all shipped together, and it was easier to seperate them at APG. I could be wrong though.

As for a 'complete list',....I have never seen or heard of any Third Army list of vehicles, compiled prior to departure from ETO.

One of the most confusing & perhaps noteworthy items in the arriving vehicle manifest is ..... A Bergpanther! Shocked

Cool
Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board