More Birmingham, AL AFVs
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: More Birmingham, AL AFVs Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:49 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
- vagabond

So the Sheriff's car pulls up and inquires what the heck we are doing and we start explaining. He asks us to move along. We move along and while moving along, a truck hurtles out from the Reserve Center and starts honking at us. We pull over and start explaining again. I offer to show that we have only taken photos of the AFVs for personal use and are completely innocuous.

To our surprise, the gentleman (we assume he is post security) invites us to follow him onto the base and get closer photos. After showing our IDs we were invited to take the photos and here are some of the results.

Whoa - Glad it all worked out for you!

Agreed. Just use some common sense out there.

In general, at an armory I'll walk right up to the tank to take pictures - so that A) its clear I'm only interested in the tank; and B) anyone who wants to stop me can walk right up to me... Most of the time there's no one around, even if you knock on the door.

Reserve Centers are probably a little different, and may have personnel on hand during normal work-days.

I cant say I wouldnt take pictures from across the street, but its kinda a judgment call at the time. For example, if it looked like it was open, I might just knock on the door to check before taking pictures from a distance... I can see how taking pictures at a distance could be "misconstrued"...

In particular, look out for signs on the fence that say "No Photography" - if it says that I definitely wouldnt take pics without knocking & asking first.

Sounds like you didnt do anything wrong and got some good access - and info! - but be careful none the less! I dont want to see anyone on here handcuffed over this stuff you know!

Neil

#17: Re: More Birmingham, AL AFVs Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:32 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

It also proves that there may be more unusual Sherman tanks out there. I now count 3 M42B1E9 and the a Sherman Jumbo in the Mississippi/ Alabama area. Of these only the one at Shelby was known to us a few years ago.

My theory would be that the flamethrower Shermans were excess examples handed out to local posts, reserve centers, etc by the Chemical Corps Museum when it was at Fort McClellan, Alabama - and/or when it moved so they wouldnt have to be shipped north to Fort Leonard Wood.

Neil

#18: Re: More Birmingham, AL AFVs Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:33 pm
    ----
- JimWeb

That makes five in all I have come across - Huntsville, Anniston, Birmingham, Springville & Camp Shelby. But only one M42B1 imaged at an unknown location by Neil which reminds me to pester him till he tells me!

Umm, sorry, which pic is that?

Neil

#19: Re: More Birmingham, AL AFVs Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Sounds like you didnt do anything wrong and got some good access - and info! - but be careful none the less! I dont want to see anyone on here handcuffed over this stuff you know!

Neil

Agreed,.....but could be an award winning photograph series. AFV/CIA members arrested while photographing armored vehicle static displays. Mr. Green Rolling Eyes

No sacrifice too high for the cause...(!!??) Cool

Okay so maybe a bit too cynical Rolling Eyes

Regards
Don

#20: Re: More Birmingham, AL AFVs Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 am
    ----
Guys,

If you must know, we ARE in talks with the Hollywood folks already!

My guest host is going to be Dog the Bounty Hunter guy.

Stay tuned!

#21: Re: More Birmingham, AL AFVs Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:56 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
- JimWeb

That makes five in all I have come across - Huntsville, Anniston, Birmingham, Springville & Camp Shelby. But only one M42B1 imaged at an unknown location by Neil which reminds me to pester him till he tells me!

Umm, sorry, which pic is that?

Neil

Your psychic powers must be waning Neil - couldn't you mindread which image I was thinking about? Wink

#22: Re: More Birmingham, AL AFVs Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 pm
    ----
Ah, that one - NCO Academy at Fort Jackson, SC.

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board