Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:24 pm
    ----
Tom Dinackus brought this to my attention.

www.pngmilitarymuseum....inton.html

Beech Creek appears to be sufficiently far from Etters so as not to be a double-listing of the M46 that used to be at the latter.

That makes 8 known survivors in the US now.

Neil

#2: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 pm
    ----
Man,

I wish I could see a picture of the front. There is an unusual bracket on the gun mantle. Wondering if it's part of an old searchlight kit. Doesn't look familiar though.

Nice find.

#3: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:21 pm
    ----
- Joe_D
I wish I could see a picture of the front. There is an unusual bracket on the gun mantle. Wondering if it's part of an old searchlight kit. Doesn't look familiar though.

Pah! I wish you hadn't pointed that out - now I'm going to have to spend the next week trying to find out all about it Sad

#4: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 pm
    ----
Hmm... Now I wonder if it is the same tank...

www.pngmilitarymuseum....hase3.html

Neil

#5: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 am
    ----
Or they came from the same National Guard unit and had had the same mods applied.Since both tanks appear on the PA NG site I would think they would have removed the old entry if it had moved. Looking at the paint job if they are the same tank then the Etters picture must be several years old (It takes a long time for paint to age that much :-))

#6: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:40 am
    ----
The restored one is the Etters tank:

www.pngmilitarymuseum....hase1.html

It had ASF-C turret S/N 740 if anyone visits. Where is it?

KL

#7: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 am
    ----
As far as I can tell, its at Fort Indiantown Gap.

Neil

#8: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:52 am
    ----
Bob,

To my knowledge the National Guard/ reserve never received M46's. Most stayed in Korea and then became hard targets. There's a reason there's so few of them left in the world. The ones in America are former test subjects or maintenance/school house vehicles. Which brings me to this:

Just for you Jim,

[img]http://com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10605/untitled%7E3.jpg[/img]

Looks like this tank was used to test the "Leaflet II" IR search light system. To my knowledge, this IR system was never fielded. The 18" white light models were all that were used. Those were mounted directly above the gun on the mantle. This version blocks the gunner's telescope view but doesn't the periscope, which is where the IR sight would be mounted. Something that is fine for test operations but you would not do in the field. I'm pretty sure this tank is the same as the test vehicle, since an issued IR system didn't come about until the M60 was first fielded, and that was long after the M46 was removed from service. I'd love to know where this tank came from.

#9: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:05 am
    ----
NIce find...

You got a bigger version of that image Joe?

#10: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 am
    ----
Jim,

I wish I did, but that's the best I can do. The picture should be in the Red Davis library at the Patton museum. Maybe Dontos can find it. It is also in Honeycutts "Patton".

#11: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:52 am
    ----
Two questions:
1)Where is this M46 Patton
2)It is the M46 that was previously at Etters, PA (USA)

www.pngmilitarymuseum....hase3.html

#12: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:55 pm
    ----
- bialy-r
Two questions:
1)Where is this M46 Patton

As far as I can tell, its at Fort Indiantown Gap.

2)It is the M46 that was previously at Etters, PA (USA)

Yes

Neil

#13: Re: Found a "new" M46 Patton: Beech Creek, PA Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:32 am
    ----
The Etters/FIG M46 is different from the Beech Creek M46. Both have the bracket over the gunner's telescope. so there were at two, whatever it was.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board