Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 pm
    ----
- blackdog

Note: The vehicle in photo #5 and #6 are the same one. I know this for a fact.

er that isn't in dispute....

#47: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Mus Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:59 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
That one is an Airoll 1 prototype - they preceded the XM759 series and possibly was designated LVA-X1 but remeber that it may have had that painted on it after it became a museum exhibit. You know what museum staff are like for painting things on vehicles that aren't quite correct

Good point. I truly loathe the "oh, but no one will ever know" mentality that some organizations have, especially when they have the resources and ability to do better than that. I personally try only to present information that I know as fact, and when getting information from others I always take it with a grain of salt and rarely convey it to others before checking the facts. I absolutely hate spreading false information. That's one of the reasons why the Mechanized Museum - after 10 years - still has no signage for any vehicles - because we do not want to be "that museum" that puts a bunch of uninformed crap on their displays that is not true. That, and we have no time or money. Rolling Eyes

I took the pictures of it going on the trailer, but the only picture I have of it in the Mechanized Museum is from the back:

www.themech.org/brochure/pano.jpg

(yes, it is dusty)

#48: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:53 am
    ----
I've just updated the XM765 & Airoll pages on the web site if anyone interested.. JED app version is added as well.

I'm off to bed as its 2am...

#49: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: supertsar PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 pm
    ----
Supertsar - is there any chance I could add your photo's? It would be great to show the vehicles in earlier times.

Absolutely - love your web site.

#50: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:34 pm
    ----
Thanks for your kind words - I'll get on to it. Do you know the date the pictures were taken (or a best estimate)?

#51: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: supertsar PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm
    ----
Thanks for your kind words - I'll get on to it. Do you know the date the pictures were taken (or a best estimate)?

Well judging by my Aunt Stella's hair-do in one of the shots - I'm going to say 1979 or so...

#52: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 am
    ----
Ok, thanks.

#53: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 am
    ----
Now updated with supertsar's photo's:

preservedtanks.com/Loc...0&Select=4

as well as the obvious new SU-76, T-34 and Ho-Ro entries, there are extra photos if you follow the M3A1 Stuart, Ha-Go and location photo links.

Thanks again supertsar (let me know if you have a website you want me to add as a link on the photo pages).

#54: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 am
    ----
Of course its almost all "Storage" now....

Neil

#55: Re: Help/Pics Needed - Former Quantico Marine-Air Ground Museum Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:49 pm
    ----
Very true, unfortunately.

-> AFV News Discussion Board