Alaskan AFV's info
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Alaskan AFV's info Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:00 am
    ----
Just got back from spending 3 1/2 wks at the Army's Cold Regions Test Center at Fort Greely near Delta Junction.
There are two M60A3's? sitting at the main gate entrance on Hwy AK-4. The reason I'm not sure of the model is they were covered with snow and hard to identify. I did get the SN/RN info off of them:
M60#1: SN 7046 RN JJ00JM
M60#2: SN 1766 RN 9B7980-was hard to read.

Eielson AFB has a M110A2 sitting on the corner of Flightline Ave & Boardway St next to one of the Alaska Red-Flag Bldgs. I didn't take any pictures as it was close to the flightline and I wasn't to sure of the USAF picture policy on base. No SN/RN info. They do have a nice Heritage Park with memorials and planes (F-4C, A-10A, F-16A, T-33, O-2),worth stopping for.

I also went over to Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks. I couldn't find a M48 sitting out anywhere, there was no AFV's of any kind out on post or at the gates.

Hope this helps with the AFV's roster.

BB-61

Last edited by BB-61 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:06 am
    ----
BB-61,

Those are new to me, but I always believed there were some M60's in Alaska (These are the first I heard of).

M60 #1 could be either an M60A1 or A3. 7046 is an A1 SN and the RN matches, but near the end of Annistons A1 to A3 conversion they retained the original SN's and RN's instead of assigning new numbers. By then Mainz and Detroit ceased production.

M60 #2 is a little confusing. SN 1766 could be either an M60 or a new production M60A3 made in Detroit. The RN is from an M60A1. Could the SN possibly have an "A" on the end? That would make sense and make her an Anniston A3.

You wouldn't happen to have some pictures of them to share?

#3: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:21 am
    ----
Joe D,

M60 #2's SN didn't have an "A" after it.

Here are some pictures, not the best. The weather was mostly cloudy and with the sun not very high in the sky at this time of year the pics were a little light. M60 #2 also was always in the shade so it still had more snow then the other tank.

BB-61

#4: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:29 am
    ----
Since you can only post 3 pictures per post I will post pictures of M60 #2 here.

BB-61

#5: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:29 am
    ----
BB-61,

Nice pictures, too bad SN 1766 has so much snow on her. Both of these old girls are M60A3's. The thermal shrouds on the gun tubes are one indicator, and the wind sensor mast on 7046 is another. Both have the later shroud that was used on the M1.

This is whats puzzling with SN 1766. The hull is an early Generation 2 version with the lighter vertical lifting eyes along the side. This corresponds with the RN. These were made between 63 and 69, the small escape hatch versions being the earlier models. Essentially makes it impossible for her to be a new production Detroit M60A3, making her a rebuild from an A1. Mainz didn't start converting A1's until the serial numbers were in the high 3000's, and they would end with an "M". She's gotta be from Anniston. Just curious why there wasn't an "A" behind the number. Did you get the SN from the tow lug or the back deck/rear hull ? Might explain the missing "A", since sometimes the lug numbers get damaged over time, rubbing some of it off. Also, early Anniston lug numbers were stamped like the image below up to SN 2000, then switched to the later style, running the same way as the Detroit SN's

Detroit SN

You can also see how the "A" could be wore off over time if it was stamped real close to the edge.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, That's two M60's I most likely will not see for some time in person, if ever. Way too far away for me to go see by car and can't see flying there any time soon.

#6: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:42 pm
    ----
Joe D,

I got the SN's off the tow lugs on both tanks. It was about
-20 below that day and there was about a foot and half of snow around them so I didn't check the rear for the SN's.
If we go up there to test again I told them I would go back, next time I will look closer.

BB-61

#7: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:22 pm
    ----
It was about
-20 below that day and there was about a foot and half of snow around them

And I've been complaining about the weather here Rolling Eyes That's a drastic change from AZ.

Thanks

#8: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39 pm
    ----
Hi,

AZ?? Joe, where in AZ are you? I'm hanging my hat in Tucson until my rich Uncle decides otherwise.

Chuck

#9: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:53 pm
    ----
Chuck,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm in Arkansas. I was commenting on BB-61's Avatar location of Yuma AZ.

#10: Re: Alaskan AFV's info Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:44 pm
    ----
I have info on two 1766s. M60 SN 1766 should be 9B5096. M60A3 SN 1766A should be JJ03Y7. RN 9B7890 is in the range of RNs given to some Anniston M60A3s in the 3675A - 4180A range.

KL

-> AFV News Discussion Board