Neenah, WI - M60A3 night photos
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Neenah, WI - M60A3 night photos Author: dogtagsLocation: East Central Wisconsin PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:50 am
    ----
After Grand Chute, I went down to Town of Neenah to get a quick shot of the M60 there for Neil and the AFV Register. Here they are:

Left Front 3/4 shot
Deck & Hull SN location
Close-up of above
Front tow lug SN location

The SN on the AFV Reg. is 3388A, however I do not see it in any of these spots. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

#2: Re: Neenah, WI - M60A3 night photos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:16 am
    ----
Robert,

That tank was one of the tanks rebuilt at Mainz Army Depot to M60A3 standards in Germany, that's why the Deck SN ends with an "M". You will not find a SN on the tow lug with these tanks, since they ground off the original SN during the rebuild process. They also welded the plates on the back deck and hull with the new SN and RN like you see with this model. Sometimes the Mainz rebuilds didn't have the numbers ground off completely so you see the original M60A1 SN. M60A3 4118M in Sparta WI is that way, her A1 SN being 8305. Usually the only way to find a number like that is to scrape the paint off to the bare metal.

About the 3388A Serial Number. Most likely someone got the paperwork mixed up and that tank is somewhere else. I've seen it happen before. That's why Neil likes getting confirmations independent from the TACOM list. Our members here have corrected quite a few over the last couple of years. With the Mainz rebuilds you have to hope the deck hasn't been traded out with another in it's life, since it's the only external location for the SN.

Thanks for sharing, BTW, you are more than welcome to use my pictures of the M60's from Wisconsin in my Gallery for your site if you want.

#3: Re: Neenah, WI - M60A3 night photos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 am
    ----
Did some checking,

SN 4103M is supposed to be in Waunakee WI. Maybe 3388A is there instead Rolling Eyes

#4: Re: Neenah, WI - M60A3 night photos Author: dogtagsLocation: East Central Wisconsin PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:54 pm
    ----
Interesting indeed! I do not have any plans to head down to the Waunakee area anytime soon, but I will see if any of my correspondents might be going there.

#5: Re: Neenah, WI - M60A3 night photos Author: dogtagsLocation: East Central Wisconsin PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 am
    ----
OK, so the RN of the Neenah M60A3 is 9B7514, not 12T6366 like my list has?

#6: Re: Neenah, WI - M60A3 night photos Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 am
    ----
Robert,

12T6366 should be a Registration Number for an M114. 12T being the designator.

M60's come with different series since they span 25+ years of production using the following initial ID's.

9B, 09A, 09B, JJ, for M60/A1/A3 tanks

JK being M60A2 or AVLB's made from them,
JP being later model M728 CEV's,
WF being later model M60A1 AVLB's

-> AFV News Discussion Board