Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:43 pm
    ----
This was my first tank-hunting trip of the year. Unfortunately I faced some problems:

- I had literally 10 minutes to cover 4 tanks

- Due to security restrictions it was forbidden to shot from certain angles (it's an active army base)

- There was snow around, not that much but still annoying

Anyway, back to the interesting things. There was a Sherman, S/N: 21596. Looks like it has attachments for the dozer blade. I rely on the in-house Sherman experts to learn more about it. I can provide additional pictures at the moment, but I may be able to visit the place again in the future:

There are at least other two Sherman dozers in Italy:
digilander.libero.it/p...er_cec.htm
digilander.libero.it/p...kdozer.htm

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:19 pm
    ----
Hello Massimo,
What was the name of the barracks and what were the other tanks?
Regards,
Lesley

#3: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm
    ----
Caserma "Mara", there is also an L 6/40 (see dedicated topic), an L 3/38 and an M47.

I already posted on the L 6, I've got only 2 shots of the M47 and something about the L 3/38 but due to its position it's not that great. Anyway, I can post them if you want. Trevor has something on his website too, but it lists an M55 instead of the M47, based on a wrong list on Ferrea Mole website.

Please feel free to ask for more, or contact me directly as you see fit.

Massimo

#4: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:34 pm
    ----
yeah, it seems to be an ex-Dozer.
For sure it is an M4A4(75).

Thanks for the SN !!

P-O

#5: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 pm
    ----
Well done, Massimo!

Here's the original link:

Solbiate Olona

Of course it needs updating now!

#6: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:56 pm
    ----
I know for sure the italian army tried, as much as possible, to get rid of the multi-bank engines in M4A4s and replace them with radial ones. Is there a way I could figure out which engine is inside this tank without opening hatches left and right?

Massimo

#7: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:28 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I know for sure the italian army tried, as much as possible, to get rid of the multi-bank engines in M4A4s and replace them with radial ones. Is there a way I could figure out which engine is inside this tank without opening hatches left and right?

Massimo

the engine hatches/plates were replaced, because the air cooling system needed openings that were not at the same place on these plates, given the engine type.
That's why M4A4Ts don't have M4A4 engine plates, but M4A1s instead (IIRC). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

P-O

#8: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:24 am
    ----
the engine hatches/plates were replaced, because the air cooling system needed openings that were not at the same place on these plates, given the engine type.
That's why M4A4Ts don't have M4A4 engine plates, but M4A1s instead (IIRC). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not a Sherman expert. Does it means we can identify the engine used by the tank from the pictures above? If not, where I should look next time?

Massimo

#9: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:11 am
    ----
Shermans aren't my expertise either, but that central bulge on the engine deck with bolts around it is typical for an M4A4.

#10: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:31 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

I am not a Sherman expert. Does it means we can identify the engine used by the tank from the pictures above? If not, where I should look next time?

Massimo

That's the original engine deck for an M4A4 with the original Chrysler Multibank engine :

and that's the engine deck for a French M4A4T with the Continental R-975 C4 radial engine :

#11: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:15 pm
    ----
Thanks. Looks like it missed the engine upgrade.
One of these days I will manage to get additional pictures and maybe collect additional info

Massimo

#12: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: giacomo415Location: Sardinia - Italy PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:14 am
    ----
Hi everyone,
I think that also this M4A4 have received the radial engine because the pics showns that on the rear plate there is the small hole for the hand crank, a typical feature of the radial engined Shermans that lacks on the others.

I think the hole was drilled when the radial engine replaced the multibank one.

Giacomo

#13: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:30 am
    ----
Next time I will be there I will try to open the engine's rear doors and look inside Wink
In the meantime thnaks all for the help

Massimo

#14: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:56 am
    ----
Looks like next month I should be able to visit the place again, and have plenty of time for a full walkaround, but I don't think I will be able to climb the tank.
Any suggestion for areas or details I should cover? One main goal here is to try and figure out if it still has the original multi-bank engine or the radial one.

I will try to open the engine's rear doors and look inside, but I am not sure if it will be doable.

Tips and suggestions from our Sherman experts are welcome. Wink

Massimo

#15: Re: Solbiate Olona. Sherman dozer Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:59 pm
    ----
there is a very easy way to see if the Continental engine was installed on this M4A4 :

this is a normal M4A4 back engine doors area :

this is a modified M4A4 back engine doors area, you can see that the rectangular filters and a grille were added :

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board