Surviving Pz 61 and Pz 68
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Surviving Pz 61 and Pz 68 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:13 pm
    ----
I've got some amazing help from a swiss enthusiast that is tracking Pz 61 and Pz 68 around the world. It came out I am still missing a huge amount of tanks from the registers. Plenty of them are in Switzerland, many in private hands, making it very difficult to track them down. But there are also other in USA and Europe and any help on them would be appreciated. I think it may help those of you that maintain country registers too:

What I have is model, R/N and location, not that much, but it's a start:

Netherlands:

Pz 68/88 M + 7808 Uithuizen

Germany:

Pz 61 M + 77605 Koblenz
Pz 68 M + 77711 Eschbach
Pz 68 M + 77717 Frankfurt
Pz 68/88 M + 78002 Hollnich
Pz 68/88 M + 78075 Eschbach
Pz 68/88 M + 78084 Bitburg

UK

Pz 68 M + 77727 Witney
Pz 68/88 M + 78029 Witney

USA:

Pz 68 M + 77807 Danbury
Pz 68 M + 77825 Littelton

Thanks in advance for any help

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:30 pm
    ----
Massimo,

concerning the following:

Netherlands:

Pz 68/88 M + 7808 Uithuizen

The Panzer 68 was at the 40-45 museum there, however the museum has been closed in october 2003

I know that most, maybe all, WW2 vehicle's went to Overloon
A large part of the remaining vehicle's ended up at Army Cars Zwijndrecht

I presumed that the Pz 68 was also moved here, because I did not have an RN from Uithuizen

However the Pz 68 at Army Cars has RN 77716

So the Pz 68 from Uithuizen is M.I.A. at the moment

Michel

#3: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:59 pm
    ----
Thanks Michel

#4: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 pm
    ----
There is a Pz-61 and a Pz-68 at the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles in Nokesville VA (I just checked my memory against Neils V3.0 Guide)

#5: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 am
    ----
I have started to organise my Muckleburgh photos, so their Pz 61 & Pz 68 should be online fairly soon.

What is at 'Witney'?

#6: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 am
    ----
There is a Pz-61 and a Pz-68 at the Virginia Museum of Military Vehicles in Nokesville VA

Yes, those are already listed in the register:

www.massimocorner.com/...8_Pz61.pdf
www.massimocorner.com/...g_Pz68.pdf

I have started to organise my Muckleburgh photos, so their Pz 61 & Pz 68 should be online fairly soon

I am already using your pictures in the DFs above. Thanks

What is at 'Witney'?

Good question... It's supposed to be a location. I don't know more than that, sorry.

Massimo

#7: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm
    ----
There's nothing at Witney AFAIK, it might be worth checking your original source if you have one as it doesn't seem to make sense.

#8: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm
    ----
There's nothing at Witney AFAIK, it might be worth checking your original source if you have one as it doesn't seem to make sense.

Could it be a private collector? Those are often hard to chase and surplus vehicles from the swiss army are pretty easy to buy.

My original source doesn't speaks english and I don't speak german... So his soon is translating among us Laughing
He is a veteran member of the armeemuseum association, he has been tracking Pz 61 and Pz 68 longer than me and his connections are better than mine.

Massimo

#9: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:15 pm
    ----
just for fun some pic's from the Pz 68 at Army Cars Zwijndrecht Mr. Green

an detailed shot of the telephone (?) box at the rear, notice the text in German/French
"auf/ouvert" means open
"zu/ferme" means close
The Italian part of Switzerland is an little neclegted

an close-up of the barrel traveling support
This one is interresting because behind it there appears to be some numbers on the rear plate of the hull
Part of the serial number Confused

Michel

#10: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

My original source doesn't speaks english and I don't speak german... So his soon is translating among us :lol:
He is a veteran member of the armeemuseum association, he has been tracking Pz 61 and Pz 68 longer than me and his connections are better than mine.

Massimo

Perhaps it will turn out to be a private collection, though I don't know of one anywhere there. My parents-in-law live near Witney, so I am there quite often if something turns up.

#11: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:05 am
    ----
I can confirm there is Pz 68 in Littleton, Colorado. It's a private cllection, RN is: M-77825

Massimo

#12: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:53 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I can confirm there is Pz 68 in Littleton, Colorado. It's a private collection, RN is: M-77825

Not exactely a private collection, see here:
www.coldwarremarketing.com/

Unfortunately the tank was damaged in transit to the USA (shipper did not open the hull floor drains and over 1.5 meters of water got into the tank during shipment…). And now they are looking for help, both in terms of skills and spares. If you think you could help you may try and contact them.

Massimo

#13: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:42 am
    ----
Massimo, I'm currently sorting my Muckleburgh photos and I spotted a number stamped into the nose of their Pz 61 - is that news to you? I'm wondering if it's worth investigating as a possible serial number or other identification.

#14: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:49 am
    ----
I am not aware of a way to read serial numbers apart from looking at the dataplate. But it's worth to write it down, just in case.

The r/n of course, is well know: M-77642

Thanks

Massimo

#15: Re: Still chasing Pz 61 and Pz 68 in USA and Europe Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:37 pm
    ----
This is a picture of the number on the nose of the Best (NLD) Pz 61. The last 3 digits are the same as the last 3 of the registration number (M-77620)

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board