UK AFV Register
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: UK AFV Register Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:50 pm
    ----
Trevor,
Not really - but have been able to find the following:

www.content-delivery.c...meals.html

www.qinetiq.com/global...arNum=2427

Neil

#17: Re: UK AFV Register Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:09 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
In fact, you seem to have a pretty good knack at this P-O. Can you help with the following? :)

MILLOM
QinetiQ (former DERA facility), Eskmeals
Chieftain Mk 2 GBR out? VRN 06FA49
Chieftain Mk 3 GBR out? VRN 00FC51

Neil, I'm on holiday in the Lake District next week and I'll try to track this down. Have you any more information?

- Neil_Baumgardner

SWYNNERTON
Swynnerton Training Area, off the M6 motorway
Chieftain Mk 2 GBR out? VRN 04EB22; Prototype?

Also this one, as I'll be driving past Swynnerton.

#18: Re: UK AFV Register Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:54 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Now, on the other matter, has anybody else heard anything about French Panther's in Vietnam? Mr. Green

Doug, I believe it was still called Indochina when France did use these tanks.
The Panther tank was put out of service in 1952 in the French 503rd Tank Battalion and French 6ème Régiment de Cuirassiers, due to the lack of spare parts (as usual in the French Army, indeed).

Neil,

what do you have for the Wheatcroft Collection?

thanks

P-O

#19: Re: UK AFV Register Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:30 pm
    ----
Thought those Panthers in VN were pink, but not sure of the shade of pink. Mr. Green Mr. Green

#20: Re: UK AFV Register Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:21 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- ossie
Centurion avre mk12 is a AVRE NOT A GUN TANK
ITS A CENTURION MK 12H AVRE 105 MM . ALTHOUGH TEH DOZER BLADE IS NOT FITTED THE MINE PLOUGH ATTACHMENT AND DOZER BLADE BOLTS BRACKETS THE TWO ROWS OF BOLTS WHERE THEY ARE BOLTED ON
SORRY MY SELF AND ONE OF THE MUSEUM STAFF CREWED THIS TANK IN GERMANY SO I KNOW IT VERY WELL .
I POSTED A MESSAGE REGARDING WHAT HAPPEND TO THE OLD AFV NEWS AND NOT ABOUT VEHICLE LOCATIONS IT WAS DELETED , SORRRY BEEN COMMING HERE 10 YRS AND IT HAS OFFENDED ME. I HAVE HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT OVER THE YEARS BUT THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW
BY THE TIME U WRITE YOUR SO CALLED AFV REGISTER OF UK THEY ALL BE CHANGED AGAIN
ITS NEVER THE SAME . THEY ARE MOVING STUFF ALL THE TIME.
OSSIE

Ossie raises a couple points here I would like to address

First about the deleted message - There was no intention to delete a posting to this forum. That isn't the way we operate. on the very few times we have deleted a message I believe the poster was informed as to why it was deleted (I remember one that we felt disclosed operational information that would be detrimental to troops in the field) The technical management of the site has been informed of the problem and I am sure they are looking into it to see if there was a technical problem

Second and what I think was the main point he was trying to raise - All the work on the registries is interesting and useful for many people but it is also transiant information since artefacts do move around. This actually could be a reason they are useful. It does give us a mark in time that a vehicle was at a given location (How many posts have come up along the lines of 'What happened to the tank that used to be at xyz?

Anyway while folks should feel free to work on and post information on various registries (and I think having threads with appropriate titles is a good way to do it) Lets don't neglect all the other areas of discussion this list has been famous for.

Where is a discussion of SHATTER GAP or Green Tigers when you need it?

Ditto to what Bob said, we just don't roll like that 'round here. Edits or deletions of posts (unless spam or otherwise clearly inappropriate) are done by request or subject to discussion in the Moderator's Forum and usually with the poster (either before or after). I can count on my fingers the number of times this has occurred here over a period of ~three years, due to the cordial nature of our members.

Now, on the other matter, has anybody else heard anything about French Panther's in Vietnam? Mr. Green

#21: Re: UK AFV Register Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:07 pm
    ----
- ossie
Centurion avre mk12 is a AVRE NOT A GUN TANK
ITS A CENTURION MK 12H AVRE 105 MM . ALTHOUGH TEH DOZER BLADE IS NOT FITTED THE MINE PLOUGH ATTACHMENT AND DOZER BLADE BOLTS BRACKETS THE TWO ROWS OF BOLTS WHERE THEY ARE BOLTED ON
SORRY MY SELF AND ONE OF THE MUSEUM STAFF CREWED THIS TANK IN GERMANY SO I KNOW IT VERY WELL .
I POSTED A MESSAGE REGARDING WHAT HAPPEND TO THE OLD AFV NEWS AND NOT ABOUT VEHICLE LOCATIONS IT WAS DELETED , SORRRY BEEN COMMING HERE 10 YRS AND IT HAS OFFENDED ME. I HAVE HELP ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT OVER THE YEARS BUT THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW
BY THE TIME U WRITE YOUR SO CALLED AFV REGISTER OF UK THEY ALL BE CHANGED AGAIN
ITS NEVER THE SAME . THEY ARE MOVING STUFF ALL THE TIME.
OSSIE

Ossie raises a couple points here I would like to address

First about the deleted message - There was no intention to delete a posting to this forum. That isn't the way we operate. on the very few times we have deleted a message I believe the poster was informed as to why it was deleted (I remember one that we felt disclosed operational information that would be detrimental to troops in the field) The technical management of the site has been informed of the problem and I am sure they are looking into it to see if there was a technical problem

Second and what I think was the main point he was trying to raise - All the work on the registries is interesting and useful for many people but it is also transiant information since artefacts do move around. This actually could be a reason they are useful. It does give us a mark in time that a vehicle was at a given location (How many posts have come up along the lines of 'What happened to the tank that used to be at xyz?

Anyway while folks should feel free to work on and post information on various registries (and I think having threads with appropriate titles is a good way to do it) Lets don't neglect all the other areas of discussion this list has been famous for.

Where is a discussion of SHATTER GAP or Green Tigers when you need it?

#22: Re: UK AFV Register Author: ossie PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 pm
    ----
titan vrn is the new style and i will check against others but think its right one is 38 other is 36 i belive .
ossie

#23: Re: UK AFV Register Author: ossie PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:54 am
    ----
lrcs are n teh left of the main road into portsmouth but nothing else

#24: Re: UK AFV Register Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:51 am
    ----
I have some images from the 70s when it was stuffed with armour... churchills in big piles, AEC command vehicles, M10s etc...

I must stick them on my web site sometime.

#25: Re: UK AFV Register Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:19 am
    ----
Hi Neil,

just for fun I used google to search for the scrapyard and one of the first hits was the following

This set is from 2006
www.flickr.com/photos/...109536914/

The following is from 2008
www.derelictplaces.co....php?t=5126

The 2 US LARC's can still be found on google maps and some ship wrecks

Michel

#26: Re: UK AFV Register Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:26 pm
    ----
tankbarrell,
Many thanks - very impressed by your efforts!

All,
Is there anything left at the Harry Pounds Scrapyard in Portsmouth?

I have the following listed, but like Witham, I doubt anything of substance is left?

Chieftain Mk 2 GBR std? VRN 05EB41
M4A2 Sherman BARV USA/GBR std? WD No. T151011, VRN 65ZR79

Neil

#27: Re: UK AFV Register Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 pm
    ----
Neil,

this is my Cromwell, previously a Charioteer.

Cromwell IV T189557, served with 1 RTR in Normandy, will be restored back to that standard.

This is my Sherman as she is now. For a restoration report see hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/sho...estoration

#28: Re: UK AFV Register Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:04 pm
    ----
Lesley,
I have 1EB66 there, but not 1EB65. I'll have to doublecheck against Griffin's book, once I get it unpacked...

That being said, I wonder how many - if any! - Chieftains are still at Witham...

Hopefully I'll hear back from Griffin on this and others...

Neil

#29: Re: UK AFV Register Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:48 pm
    ----
ARBORFIELD
HQ Directorate Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (Army), Hazebrouck Barracks, Biggs Ln
Chieftain Mk 2 GBR out VRN 01EB65

This one I have at the following location Witham Special Vehicles at GRANTHAM COLSTERWORTH (dec97)

#30: Re: UK AFV Register Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 pm
    ----
Hi Adrian,

Yes, I'm fine and remember the trips on the ranges and I think I even found you some wheels just off the range. I've still got a few souvenirs in my garden amongst the bushes! Now in Holland and after a flirtation with a Dodge am mainly writing.

Tim,

-> AFV News Discussion Board