What model of Sherman is this one?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:10 pm
    ----
http://relics.warbirds.in/main.php?g2_itemId=281

[img]http://relics.warbirds.in/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=281&g2_serialNumber=5[/img]

http://relics.warbirds.in/main.php?g2_itemId=448

[img]http://relics.warbirds.in/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=448&g2_serialNumber=3[/img]

This is a war monument displayed somewhere in India.

Is it a British WW2 "funnie"?

Or more likely a post-war Indian or Pakistani conversion?
The Sherman fought on both sides of the Second Kashmir War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.

P-O

#2: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 pm
    ----
well, that's indeed a Sherman M4A4 Crab on which the half of the flails system is missing...

P-O

#3: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 pm
    ----
Ah, now I see

The crossmember between the 2 arms is not an original part of the construction
It is just there to connect the 2 arms

Was allready wondering, if it would be an Sherman Crab, how this with intervene with the chains of the drum

Michel

#4: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:15 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
Ah, now I see

The crossmember between the 2 arms is not an original part of the construction
It is just there to connect the 2 arms

Was allready wondering, if it would be an Sherman Crab, how this with intervene with the chains of the drum

Michel

Actually the construction you see is what supported the flail device or rather supported the plates that carried the flail device. The image following is of the production prototype which I suspect that vehicle may possibly be.

#5: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:41 am
    ----
http://relics.warbirds.in/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=595&g2_serialNumber=1

[img]http://relics.warbirds.in/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=595&g2_serialNumber=1[/img]

and for this Sherman?? The gun is very unusual and doesn't fit with the ones I know, even for other AFVs..

The camouflage is also very unusual !!!

P-O

#6: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:46 am
    ----
Its a captured Pakistani vehicle. The gun (from a PT-76) is in the recoil position so it looks a bit strange. AFIK there were very few of them and they were used to beef up reconnaissance units based in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh).

#7: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:38 pm
    ----
I have seen this green camouflaged Sherman before, only the picture quality then was not so good

Cann't remimber where precise..... Confused

Michel

#8: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 am
    ----
and for this Sherman?? The gun is very unusual and doesn't fit with the ones I know, even for other AFVs..

I'd say it's a museum hack. It's a M4A4 that's had a PT76 gun barrel welded in. Pakistan didn't have M4A4s, they had M4A1E4s (regunned with the 76MM) most with the E9 suspenssion. India did have M4A4s that were left behind from the British. Most the mods are of British origin used in the CBI. It's just something thrown together.

#9: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:11 am
    ----
- tanker2010

I'd say it's a museum hack. It's a M4A4 that's had a PT76 gun barrel welded in. Pakistan didn't have M4A4s, they had M4A1E4s (regunned with the 76MM) most with the E9 suspenssion. India did have M4A4s that were left behind from the British. Most the mods are of British origin used in the CBI. It's just something thrown together.

relics.warbirds.in/mai...itemId=581

relics.warbirds.in/mai...rd=Sherman

and I could quote a long stream of articles, books etc...

#10: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 am
    ----
and I could quote a long stream of articles, books etc...

Then get busy. Let's look at facts. Besides Pakistan not using M4A4s, never let the facts get in the way of a good story, it's a museum piece in an Indian museum. Museums are notorious for either getting it wrong or just plain playing with the facts. As to Pakistan supposedly using it, why would they re-gun a tank with an inferior gun than the one it had? Plus the fact that Pakistan didn't even have PT76s, that was a vehicle used by the Indians. If you have in service pics of Pakistani M4A4s with the gun out of a PT76, post away, other than that, sorry got to call BS on you. Showing pics of tanks in a museum proves nothing.

relics.warbirds.in/mai...itemId=765

This could be a captured Pakistani Sherman, or not, both sides used M4A1s.

While the Indians used M4A1s, M4A3s, and M4A4s, the Pakistanis used only M4A1s. Beside all that, if you want to believe the plaque by the tank, it says it was captured in the Sialkot sector of Pakistan. That is in Pakistan proper, not in what is known now as Bangledesh.
So start listing your books....

#11: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:53 pm
    ----
Okay I had a real long rebuttal written here then I thought why the hell should I do your research as you obviously too damn lazy to do it yourself...

#12: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:46 pm
    ----
Thanks for the offer Jim, but having seen your site, I'll do my own. It's ok to be wrong, no one is going to think the less of you. You see, if you can show me where I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but a bunch of attitude doesn't prove anything.

#13: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 pm
    ----
This thread is locked pending discussion and course of action in the Moderator's Forum.

It is very disappointing when informed members cannot disagree in a cordial and polite manner.

#14: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm
    ----
This thread is re-opened after a cooling off period.

Admins have decided that we prefer not to set a precedent for suspension (which has never happened, apart from spammers), but do want to post a warning:

Profanity directed against another member or dismissing their claims without reference is not acceptable. Neither is ignoring requests from any of the moderator staff to re-evalute one's posting style. It's fine to disagree (even encouraged), but if you're going to disagree, do it with tact and facts, not snide remarks and thinly (or non) veiled hostility. In CC forums, we call that 'flaming' and it's not allowed or tolerated here. Standards of behavior vary with different forums, but that is irrelevant. The membership has established by history and example what the acceptable tone for discourse here is, and the moderators are charged with enforcing it. We are also invited guests at C-C, and will act accordingly. The door in is always open, as is the door out.

Please carry on.

#15: Re: What model of Sherman is this one? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:32 pm
    ----
Thanks Doug.

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board