WWII book title - British tank commander in N. Africa
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: WWII book title - British tank commander in N. Africa Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm
    ----
I'm trying to think of the title of a book I read as a kid - by a British tank commander in N. Africa - he commanded a Stuart Honey. I had the old Ballantine War series with the fold out cover that showed his tank at the top of an escarpment with the commander looking over his shoulder at a German tank coming up behind them. As I remember, they got away by running down the escarpment.

I remember it as a classic - just can't remember the title. Anyone else read this one?

Thanks

Chris Neel

#2: Re: WWII book title - British tank commander in N. Africa Author: DanFong PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:48 pm
    ----
Brazen Chariots by Robert Crisp

#3: Re: WWII book title - British tank commander in N. Africa Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:17 pm
    ----
Anyone interested in tanks who hasn't read it should. Here is a link to a short thread we had about him recently
www.com-central.net/in...bert+crisp

#4: Re: WWII book title - British tank commander in N. Africa Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm
    ----
- DanFong
Brazen Chariots by Robert Crisp

That's it! I knew it was Robert somebody.

"The Gods were Neutral" sounds interesting too....

Thanks!

cn

#5: Re: WWII book title - British tank commander in N. Africa Author: A2_Prius PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 pm
    ----
I found Robert Crisp's BRAZEN CHARIOTS to be far more interesting than THE GODS WERE NEUTRAL. The latter is the narrative of the British retreat on the island of Crete: lots of dive-bombing Stukas, no armor battles to speak of. Another Desert War classic is Cyril Jolly's TAKE THESE MEN. Crisp and Jolly knew one another.

-> AFV News Discussion Board