Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:32 pm
    ----
Yes it was (Garry said something about that on page 2).

#47: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 pm
    ----
Oh yeah, you could say that.

As a matter of fact, I took these on Wednesday.

Regards
Don

#48: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: panamadan PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:47 am
    ----
Don,
Are you 100% sure it went to the long barreled version? Not another PZ III? At the end of the war, did they bring back vehicles that weren't in good shape? This is where it would be great to see a old photo of the long barreled III.
Dan

#49: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:57 am
    ----
- panamadan
At the end of the war, did they bring back vehicles that weren't in good shape?

Dan,

at the end of the war, the Germans used almost that they could get there hands and that could shoot

Do yo know the Panzerwrecks series of books?
There is an lot of interresting stuff to be found in there, most picture are from 1944-45

Except the AFV wreckage it also show's other curious find's of the allied army's

For example picture"s of an:
- Pz IV chassis with an 88mm FlaK 37 mounted on top
- Pz III command vehicle with the pre-war/early war road wheel assembly (8 small wheels instead of the known 6)
- Pz IV Asuf D from 1940, with the short barreled 75mm that came from an training facility

So anything is possible Mr. Green

Michel

#50: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:28 pm
    ----
Supposedely, a lot of the stuff shipped back after the war was stuff from collection depots, i.e., stuff pulled off the battlefields, roads, towns etc. and put into one spot. The older Pz III F that Don posted photos of was at one time complete. The upgraded Pz III F didn't have tracks and may have been missing some road wheels. A long time ago, they refurbished the upgraded Pz III F by cannibalizing the other one. Over the years, some of the remaining road wheels "disappeared" to vandals I presume.

I was always curious why they sent back vehicles that were in bad shape or oddities. As Michel said, they were using everything toward the end. It's too bad that some more knowledgeable 3rd Army officers charged with collecting the vehicles didn't select better or more mainstream examples such as Pz IV, Tiger II, JagdPanther, etc. for the collection. Perhaps it is better they didn't or we wouldn't have had the 223, 234/4 or 251/9.

#51: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: panamadan PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:09 pm
    ----
Garry,
I wonder if they went after this PZ III due to it having been upgraded-it does look much different due to the turret schutzen and long 50mm. In the Panzer Tracts book on the III E-H it has a chapter about the upgrading/uparming and this tank meets it to a T.
I see that the mantlet has what looks to be a small penatration thru it-is the turret front also penatrated?
Dan

#52: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:53 pm
    ----
- panamadan
Garry,
I wonder if they went after this PZ III due to it having been upgraded-it does look much different due to the turret schutzen and long 50mm. In the Panzer Tracts book on the III E-H it has a chapter about the upgrading/uparming and this tank meets it to a T.
I see that the mantlet has what looks to be a small penatration thru it-is the turret front also penatrated?
Dan

Possibly, but I'm not sure anyone at that time was that keen to notice the difference and pick it out because it was unique.

The turret was not penetrated.

#53: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: panamadan PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:48 pm
    ----
Another odd item about this tank: notice that the extra armor should have bolt heads, but they have been ground off? One can see what looks to be weld beads where the bolt heads should be.
entertainment.webshots...4314LxpIrm

Dan

#54: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:56 am
    ----
A review of the Dragon kit of the F: modelarmour.com/index....&Itemid=60

#55: Re: Looking for older photos of Knox's PZ III F Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:49 pm
    ----
- Dontos
I took these on Wednesday.

Added, thanks Don (another pending job):

UID105: FK PzIII

-> AFV News Discussion Board