Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:31 pm
    ----
Found this article while checking the Iranian tank destroyer link. The turret design is pretty radical for the T-34 family. The article is in Croation, but Google has no problem translating it.

Here's the link: Yugo T-34 with New Turret

#2: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:57 am
    ----
The tank in the picture above should be at Kalemegdan Military Museum, Belgrade. One of these days I should spend a week-end over there...

Massimo

#3: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 am
    ----
Massimo,

If you are in the neighborhood, there is an interesting collection stored outside at the army barracks (used to be the VRS HQ complex) in Banja Luka, BiH. I think that the complex was once the Yugoslav Army (JNA) Tank school. It displays several unusual vehicles, including a SdKfz 251 with the 75mm gun in it, and some rare Allied vehicles. I never got a chance to take photos when I was there in 2003, but maybe you can have better luck than I did.

Chuck

#4: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:24 am
    ----
Banja Luka is definitely hard to reach for me. Even to visit Belgrade I would have to take two planes, and I am lucky Milano Malpensa's airport is just an hour drive away from my home.

I am considering Bucharest these days, since EasyJet offers a low-cost, direct fly from Milano, that could be a good weekend trip.

Massimo

#5: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
Massimo,

If you are in the neighborhood, there is an interesting collection stored outside at the army barracks (used to be the VRS HQ complex) in Banja Luka, BiH. I think that the complex was once the Yugoslav Army (JNA) Tank school. It displays several unusual vehicles, including a SdKfz 251 with the 75mm gun in it, and some rare Allied vehicles. I never got a chance to take photos when I was there in 2003, but maybe you can have better luck than I did.

Chuck

Chuck,

is the museum open to the public?

P-O

#6: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:07 pm
    ----
It is (as I recall from 2004) an active JNA (or is it Federation or RS now?) military base (+44° 48' 18.70"N, +17° 12' 2.47"E). The main road north/south (E661 on Google Maps) goes past the west side of camp. It has a wall and gates, but nothing impenetrable. Speaking English might be difficult, but speaking German will help find the answers you need. Lots of people from the former Yugoslavia worked as migrants in Germany.

#7: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:45 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

I am considering Bucharest these days, since EasyJet offers a low-cost, direct fly from Milano, that could be a good weekend trip.

Massimo

Massimo,

The trip is well worth it, I've visited the military museum there four times and have scads of pictures, and still didn't get everything.

They officially charge for pictures nowadays, though the cost is not excessive. PM me if and when you get ready to go.

D.

#8: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 am
    ----
P-O,

I haven't any idea if the vehicle park is accessible. In 2004, it was the RS Army HQ compound. It was sort of a secure area when I was there, but with the budget and reorganization turmoil of the Bosnian Army(s) I can't be sure if it is accessible now. As pointed out, there are lots of folks there you might be able to talk to.

With all the upheaval and very deep money problems there, I'm somewhat concerned that some or all of the vehicles may be gone, sold for scrap. What a tragedy that would be. I think that there were people there who understood the historical significance of what they had, but corruption and greed have made these things 'disappear' before.

C

#9: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: palic PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:30 am
    ----
I am nearly sure there should be a EUFOR/Althea Liasion and Observation Team stationed in Banja with Romanian guys in the team I hope. They seem to be doing job of former CIMIC teams. There would be a Dutch commanded sector HQ too, so hopefully here should be somebody with good or possible connection to them... Why not to ask them to drive there and do a CTR of former/active VRS Base whether old vehicles are still there or not?
Unfortunately I had a last chance to go to Banja in 2001, made some pics of vehicles inside BLMF and then I had to switch fully to KFOR affairs...
I am "out", somebody should be "in"...

#10: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:48 am
    ----
They officially charge for pictures nowadays, though the cost is not excessive. PM me if and when you get ready to go.

@Doug, I was in fact inspired by your pictures. Do they charge a flat fee for the pictures? Vienna's museum does it too.

I am considering a "hit and run" trip in July. I'll definitely contact you as soon as the plan takes shape. Thanks!

Massimo

#11: Re: Project Vehicle-A (Yugoslav T-34) (Added Link) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:59 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

@Doug, I was in fact inspired by your pictures. Do they charge a flat fee for the pictures? Vienna's museum does it too.

I am considering a "hit and run" trip in July. I'll definitely contact you as soon as the plan takes shape. Thanks!

Massimo

Thanks, Massimo...

Check you PM's

D.

-> AFV News Discussion Board