Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:54 am
    ----
This weekend the Museum had a special event for the season opening. In the past they used to do something similar in July, this time around it was on the very first weekend the Museum opened in 2010.

I was there on Saturday and the weather was pretty good. There were live demos of two Pz 68s and two M-113s, with quite a few reenactors and vehicles from private collectors. I took some shots, but there were too many people walking around, so I will visit it back later this year, and take many more shots.

For me the most important thing was to check the new hangar and revised display. I was very impressed by both, the amount of visible AFVs is more than twice! The complete Mowag collection now occupies all the old hangar's ground floor. Most of them are unique pieces and prototypes, they are now much better visible and part of a consistent display:

The new hangar is on a single floor, pretty big. It hosts vehicles that weren't visible before (AMX-30, EBR, much soviet stuff, heavy swiss artillery with tractors etc) and all the duplicated AFVs (swiss Centurions, Pz 61s, Pz 68s, two T-34s etc):

All in all I think it's a huge step ahead for the Museum, that can now compete with most collections in Europe. The new hangar, while pretty big, is already almost full!

Finally I can confirm they are restoring an M44, but I am unable to show pictures of it

Massimo

#2: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:47 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
The new hangar is on a single floor, pretty big. It hosts vehicles that weren't visible before (AMX-30, EBR, much soviet stuff, heavy swiss artillery with tractors etc) and all the duplicated AFVs (swiss Centurions, Pz 61s, Pz 68s, two T-34s etc):

I didn't know that they had 2 T-34/85s.

- Massimo_Foti
Finally I can confirm they are restoring an M44, but I am unable to show pictures of it

Here are some shots of this one, taken in 2007 :

P-O

#3: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:58 pm
    ----
Happy second anniversary to the forum, Massimo. It took you a lot less than your two years here to establish yourself as one of the most prolific and generous members with your many excellent photographs.

Just sayin'....

#4: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:00 am
    ----
I didn't know that they had 2 T-34/85s

I took some shots, even if there were many people around. Should I post something? Are you still trying to assemble a register?
I will go back within a month or two

Here are some shots of this one, taken in 2007

You should pass them to Rafal, this one is missing from the register.
I asked around and seems it's either ex-german or ex-dutch

Massimo

#5: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:02 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Happy second anniversary to the forum, Massimo. It

Thanks!

Massimo

#6: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:01 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
You should pass them to Rafal, this one is missing from the register.
I asked around and seems it's either ex-german or ex-dutch

Massimo

I sent him these 2 pictures, so that he can do the update.

P-O

#7: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:34 am
    ----
More pictures from the same event (click on the smal image):
www.zimmerliweb.ch/eve...2/lang,en/

Massimo

#8: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 am
    ----
No access to the King Tiger restoration?

#9: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:00 am
    ----
The King Tiger restoration is slowly going on. They told me they have additional peces ready since last year.

This time around space was used to arrange the special event. I should have better access to it on my next visit and will take additional shots. But I can tell already very little changed externally since last year.

Massimo

#10: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:50 am
    ----
I do hope they will replace the wrecked barrel on the King Tiger with the spare they have, even if it is from a Jagdpanther.

#11: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 am
    ----
From what I've heard last year the plan is to cut the end section of the wrecked barrel and add a newly fabricated part instead.

The Jagdpanther's barrel should be left untouched.

Massimo

#12: Re: Full Militärmuseum. 2010 season opening Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
From what I've heard last year the plan is to cut the end section of the wrecked barrel and add a newly fabricated part instead.

The Jagdpanther's barrel should be left untouched.

Massimo

Even better Smile As long as it comes out in full glory I have no trouble with replacement parts.

-> AFV News Discussion Board