Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S.
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:38 pm
    ----
I'm interested in doing a photo CD on the British 25-pdr and was wondering if there were any on display in the U.S.

Thanks!

#2: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 pm
    ----
I have some shots from 25 pdr in Italy, and could be able to take more later this year. Contact me directly if you think it may help

Massimo

#3: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:39 pm
    ----
There are several survivors in the Netherlands also

If you want I could sent you some

Also I will visit the Overloon meseum (again Mr. Green ) this year and they have 2 guns

So I can get some more picture's if you want

Michel

#4: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:35 pm
    ----
Correction, Fort Sill has one, you need a pic??

#5: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 am
    ----
The National Museum of the Pacific War
340 East Main Street
Fredericksburg, TX 78624

has a 25-pdr.

Photo from 6/08

#6: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:57 am
    ----
Is this a 25-pdr?

Its located at:

Military Aviation Museum

1341 Princess Anne Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23457

#7: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:26 pm
    ----
this is getting complicated

Vagabond, the first picture you posted is an 25 pdr
However it is missing the muzzle brake and the turntable below the gun carriage seems to be missing also

The second one is also an 25 pdr, however this gun also has some strange points
First of all the muzzle brake, that is the wrong type
Second the gun shield is also of the wrong type
The turn table below the gun carrige is correct

The Limber against the wall, behind the gun, is also correct

The WW2 British 25 pdr should look like the picture below (firing position)

Michel

#8: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:08 pm
    ----
Michael - are you sure the second picture is a 25 pdr? Looking at the bands around the barrel and the gunshield I don't think it is. I can't put my finger on what it is but I don't think it is a 25 pdr.

#9: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:56 am
    ----
Here are two shots from a different angle.

Also one of the limber.

#10: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:48 am
    ----
- bsmart
Michel - are you sure the second picture is a 25 pdr? Looking at the bands around the barrel and the gunshield I don't think it is. I can't put my finger on what it is but I don't think it is a 25 pdr

I'm also not sure anymore that it is an 25pdr
The turntable and the carriage is still correct, however that is about the only thing

Did some digging and there is also an other option, however I can hardly find any info about is
This option is "18 pdr on a Mk I 25 pdr carraige"

The 18pdr gun has it's origins before WW1, so that could explain the WW1 style guns shield
Point is, I can not find any picture's of it fitted with an muzzlebrake
Also most picture's that can be found are from the WW1, so is was not fitted with the new 25pdr carriage

Michel

#11: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 pm
    ----
Vagabond, that's not a 25pdr, it's an italian 105mm mod 1961. See the last post on this thread:
www.com-central.net/in...ic&t=11453

Massimo

#12: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm
    ----
I have a 25 Pounder in Arnhem for you
It's located under the Rhine Bridge.

#13: Re: Are there any British 25-pdr field guns in the U.S. Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:36 am
    ----
That 25pdr looks well maintained enough to still be useable Walter.

Wheels

-> Artillery Forum