M48A3 Question
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:54 am
    ----
- Joe_D

Yes she is parked at Patton Range as a static display. I hope to document her next time I'm down there (near future).

Joe could you take some really detailed images for me? Particularly of the suspension?

#17: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:01 am
    ----
No problem,

I already planned to anyways.

#18: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:52 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Friedberg, Germany

Any other information on it Mark?

#19: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:53 am
    ----
- Joe_D
No problem,

I already planned to anyways.

Remind me sometime to send you some photographic scales so that measurements can be accurately estimated by placing them in the image somewhere?

#20: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:13 am
    ----
- Dennis_Smith
Joe, that looks like the one at Patton Range,
32.358375 -84.900614

Looks like bunches more of them "down range".

Enquiring minds need to know how far from a public road the range is?

#21: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:57 am
    ----
I'm beginning to think Fort Benning could be accurately labelled 'Graveyard of the M48'

Anyway--- How many monument vehicles are there at Benning? I have

M48 non-ballistic somewhere near an assault course.
M48 target tank Patton Range

#22: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:00 am
    ----
- Joe_D

Fort Knox (Eventually Fort Benning)

The one at Fort Knox isn't an A3 though is it?

Looks more like an A2

#23: Re: M48A3 Question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:13 am
    ----
Jim

There are two M48A2C's facing each other at the former Chaffee Raod Gate. The above tank is one of those two.

The other 'possible' M48A3 (besides the displayed M48A3 in the Museum) is the one in Stithton Traffic Circle....

Regards
Don

#24: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 am
    ----
So which one is this at Knox?

Its listed as an A2C.... The tank not the blonde... I dunno some peoples minds Wink

#25: Re: M48A3 Question Author: binder001 PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:07 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
So which one is this at Knox?

That is correctly labelled M48A2C, just outside the museum.

#26: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 pm
    ----
Maybe I need a pretty model to pose with my Tank pictures Wink

Don,

The tank at Stithton traffic circle is an M48A2C, When I was stationed there it would drive me nuts that it was labeled as an A3 on the fenders.

Neil,

Both the M48's at Augusta Maine and Manistee Michigan are A1's. The one you have listed in Consensus NY should be an A5 with the low profile cupola based on the SN A1573. (A1001-A1999 and A3375-3999)

Jim,

The picture you posted of the M48A1 with square front fenders looks very much like the one located at Fort Snelling Minnesota. Theirs also has modified front fenders.

Dennis,

Looking at your grid, it seems there might be a chance there may be a few more A3's out there on the range, but they could very easily be just M48/M48A1's. The two in front of the moving target track seem most promising. We'll just have to wait and see.

#27: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:56 pm
    ----
- Joe_D

Well I'm sure Don would look great in a mankini its just a matter of offering him a big enough bribe Wink

- Joe_D

The tank at Stithton traffic circle is an M48A2C, When I was stationed there it would drive me nuts that it was labeled as an A3 on the fenders.

Anyone got a clear unadulterated image of this vehicle?

#28: Re: M48A3 Question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
- Joe_D

Well I'm sure Don would look great in a mankini its just a matter of offering him a big enough bribe Wink

- Joe_D

Anyone got a clear unadulterated image of this vehicle?

HUH?? Shocked A "Mankini",......I seriously don't think you have that much cash. Cool

As for the Stithton M48, I have it shot in detail, but can't seem to locate the data files. (I'm not really sure if they would be counted as Adulterated or Unadulterated, guess thats up to the observer....)

I'll swing by there in the morning and get acouple of new shots for you.

Regards
Don

#29: Re: M48A3 Question Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:18 pm
    ----
We have an M48 at the Mechanized Museum, it was saved from going to a range on 29 Palms. Don't know what the exact model is, though.

www.themech.org/img/ro.../v_m48.png

#30: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:10 pm
    ----
- blackdog
We have an M48 at the Mechanized Museum, it was saved from going to a range on 29 Palms. Don't know what the exact model is, though.

www.themech.org/img/ro.../v_m48.png

M48A1

Nicely designed web site BTW.

-> AFV News Discussion Board