M48A3 Question
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:45 am
    ----
- JimWeb
- Joe_D

The tank at Stithton traffic circle is an M48A2C, When I was stationed there it would drive me nuts that it was labeled as an A3 on the fenders.

Anyone got a clear unadulterated image of this vehicle?

If that is 'Sue' then my old photo's of it are online here:

Unique ID 1218: M48A2C, Stithton Fort Knox

Curiously, when I took the photo's it did not have the model labelled on the fenders.

All the pictures of the 8 examples of the M48 that I saw at FK are now online:

Preserved Tanks at Fort Knox

I have included all the serial number and registration information for them that I have.

Joe, Don, or anyone else - if you see any errors (e.g. misidentified models) or changed locations or if you can add anything let me know, and I'll sort it right away.

#47: Re: M48A3 Question Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:22 pm
    ----
M48A3 Mod B and, curiously enough, it appears to have the fittings on the front for the Birmingham mine roller sets?

#48: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:27 pm
    ----
Don, I've looked through your FK M48 photos in photobucket (as you suggested before) and have added them to mine and used them to update the vehicle locations. I've also added in 3 more M48s that I didn't see back then (M48A3 in museum, M48A5 in warehouse, M48A5E1 in RMP). Full credit given, of course. Hope that's ok. Many thanks.

Preserved Tanks at Fort Knox

#49: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:50 pm
    ----
The Stithton M48 in mid-2000's. It's looked better.

#50: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:17 pm
    ----
Doug, can I add that?

#51: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:08 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Doug, can I add that?

Trevor,
I'm only about 75% sure that it's my photo. The filename in my Ft. Knox folder gives me pause. I was there in 2006 with Don and some of the folks and did take pics of vehicles at Stithton Circle, but I'm concerned that this might be one of Bob Steinbrunn's ("A109" here at AFV DG) pictures that I put in my folder. I usually name them so I know where they came from if not mine, but this one's "ownership" is fuzzy.

You might PM him using "search" to find his member login. I don't think there's a dash in that A109 thing, but I might be wrong about that, too. Rolling Eyes

Doug

#52: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:42 pm
    ----
No problem, I'll do that.

Edit: done.

#53: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:01 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
No problem, I'll do that.

Edit: done.

Trevor,

Let me know what you find out, it will answer my question about some six other pics I have as well. Smile

And tell Bob to get back to us, wanna' see how his 1/5th scale Stuart is coming along.

D.

#54: Re: M48A3 Question Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:32 pm
    ----
Hi Doug & Trevor,

Indeed, that photo is mine and was taken at Ft. Knox on 29 April 2007. It's one of 265 pics I shot that day outside, while another 96 are of the M5A1 Stuart as a "walkaround" for the 1/6 scale model I'm building, and the remaining 264 pics are inside the Patton Museum. Any and all of these are available to the fine folks on this forum for whatever purpose they wish, so please feel free to use the M48 photo.

For Doug (who continues to make me smile with his wry wit), the 1/6 M5A1 is progressing slowly, and I now have almost four years into the build, 2100 hours plus, and have added over 9300 parts to it. I'm currently working on the turret interior and exterior and estimate finishing up within a year or so. Then it's off to the detox center......

--Bob Steinbrunn
A-109E

#55: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:34 pm
    ----
Wow! Very impressive Bob

Massimo

#56: Re: M48A3 Question Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:47 pm
    ----
Hi Bob...great to see you!

Nice to know I still have some functional memory for what's what in my folders. (I had since checked the "properties" of those images and the dates and photo memory card data didn't look right for me, either).

Looks like you've thought out your eventual display pretty well. How about some black "hazard" stripes on that yellow bordered mirror, though...so folks won't get hurt (by the builder for getting too close). Smile

I was hunting your email after my message to Trevor, I don't think I have it in my new service since I moved. Please PM to me.

D.

#57: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:51 pm
    ----
- A-109E
Hi Doug & Trevor,

Indeed, that photo is mine and was taken at Ft. Knox on 29 April 2007. It's one of 265 pics I shot that day outside, while another 96 are of the M5A1 Stuart as a "walkaround" for the 1/6 scale model I'm building, and the remaining 264 pics are inside the Patton Museum. Any and all of these are available to the fine folks on this forum for whatever purpose they wish, so please feel free to use the M48 photo.

Thank you - added:

Unique ID 1218: M48A2C, Stithton FK

Yes I would be very interested in adding the other FK pictures (a handful of Stuart ones would suffice for me!), as time permits. Do you have them available somewhere?

#58: Re: M48A3 Question Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:57 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

Thank you - added:

Yes I would be very interested in adding the other FK pictures (a handful of Stuart ones would suffice for me!), as time permits. Do you have them available somewhere?

Trevor,
I have 112 images out of the 265 I had taken that day uploaded to Photobucket. I can give you access to that album if you wish, or I can burn you a photo CD of the entire batch.

--Bob

#59: Re: M48A3 Question Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:40 pm
    ----
By all means let's go with Photobucket to save trouble and the mail cost.

#60: Re: M48A3 Question Author: A-109ELocation: Minneapolis PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:29 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
By all means let's go with Photobucket to save trouble and the mail cost.

Okay, will do. PM on the way for album access.

Meanwhile, these two photos go with the previous M48 one and were taken at the same time.

-> AFV News Discussion Board