-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Alaskan armor Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:59 am
    ----
Hi,

The only armored vehicle I saw anywhere on post... Mr. Green

www.com-central.net/mo...f6053w.jpg

www.com-central.net/mo...f6052w.jpg

www.com-central.net/mo...f6054w.jpg

There was an LVTP or an AAVP in pretty poor shape, right beside the runway at Eilson AFB, but I couldn't get any pics of it. Crying or Very sad

Chuck

#2: Re: Alaskan armor Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:11 am
    ----
Chuck,
Many thanks for confirming this one. Can you give a cross-street and/or building number/name for the M48?

Can anyone identify the M48 model?

And what's with the extra pipes(?) on the front hull?

BTW, BB-61 previously reported an M110A2 at Flight Line Ave & Broadway Ave on Eielson AFB.

Neil

#3: Re: Alaskan armor Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:01 am
    ----
M48A1 and it looks like it was set up for a dozer blade.

#4: Re: Alaskan armor Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:54 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Chuck,
Many thanks for confirming this one. Can you give a cross-street and/or building number/name for the M48?

Can anyone identify the M48 model?

And what's with the extra pipes(?) on the front hull?

BTW, BB-61 previously reported an M110A2 at Flight Line Ave & Broadway Ave on Eielson AFB.

Neil

Upon being reminded, I recall seeing the M110. As I was mainly looking for that tuna boat at the time, my mind skipped over it.

The M48A1 is located on the south edge of post, outside a maintenance shop on the south side of Chippewa Ave, east of Luzon Ave. I think the building # is 3042, but I can't confirm that. The tank and the prototype snow machine are visible on the Google Earth satellite image of Ft. Wainwright.

There are several artillery pieces around post, including a pair of M119s outside the Artillery HQ buildings.

I can't see either the tuna boat or the M110 on the satellite view of Eielson AFB.

Chuck

#5: Re: Alaskan armor Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:05 am
    ----
Chuck,
Is it basically at this building? Or further to the west?

www.bing.com/maps/?v=2...147.608964

Thanks,

Neil

#6: Re: Alaskan armor Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:49 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Chuck,
Is it basically at this building? Or further to the west?

www.bing.com/maps/?v=2...147.608964

Thanks,

Neil

Yes, that's it. The tank and...er, snow thing, are located between the road and the building on the side that can't be seen in your picture. The satellite view from Google Earth shows them there.

Edit: Or...you could just turn the view angle around...
How about this?

Chuck

#7: Re: Alaskan armor Author: HellonwheelsV100 PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:10 pm
    ----
looks like an M113 and some Haglunds (sp?) vehicles there too.

#8: Re: Alaskan armor Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:42 am
    ----
- HellonwheelsV100
looks like an M113 and some Haglunds (sp?) vehicles there too.

Didn't see any M113s, although there may be one hiding in the yards on the aerial view. The vehicle next to the M48 is a sort of tracked bus, that I was told was once considered as a squad vehicle. In the lot on the west side of the photos Neil and I were playing with above, you can see a bunch of the vehicles they decided to use. I've seen it before, and it may be this Haglunds you refer to. They have LOTS of them on Ft. Wainwright, and from what I hear the Soldiers really like them...but most Soldiers will like anything that means they can ride instead of walk! I suppose this is especially true for walking in deep snow in sub-zero conditions.

Chuck

#9: Re: Alaskan armor Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:19 am
    ----
Sounds like the 'SUSVEE' (sp?). We had a couple of them in Bosnia.

I never got the chance to 'play' with one, but I heard good things from the guys who used them, when the winter weather got bad a bit extreme.

Sort of the more modern (tracked) version of the Gamma Goat, except less dangerous.... (!?)

Regards
Don

#10: Re: Alaskan armor Author: blackdog PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:40 am
    ----
- Dontos
Sounds like the 'SUSVEE' (sp?). We had a couple of them in Bosnia.

I never got the chance to 'play' with one, but I heard good things from the guys who used them, when the winter weather got bad a bit extreme.

Sort of the more modern (tracked) version of the Gamma Goat, except less dangerous.... (!?)

Regards
Don

M973 SUSV (Small Unit Support Vehicle), from what I've heard they're good at what they do but they are very maintenance intensive. They're made amost entirely of plastic.

#11: Re: Alaskan armor Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:02 pm
    ----
Should be lots of Strykers around Wainwright now? I wonder how they do in the snow...

Neil

#12: Re: Alaskan armor Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Should be lots of Strykers around Wainwright now? I wonder how they do in the snow...

Neil

I was about to say that I didn't see any Strykers, but I do recall seeing one or two on maintenance 'test drives'. I wonder if most of them are deployed at the moment?

Chuck

-> AFV News Discussion Board