s/n on T-72?
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: s/n on T-72? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:53 pm
    ----
I took some shots from the T-72 in Full (Switzerland). Is it the s/n?

I am not into soviet tanks, so any additional info is welcome

Massimo

#2: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:09 pm
    ----
If some one know's the meaning of Russian s/n I have some left from various Russian vehicle's I can not read Confused

michel

#3: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:18 am
    ----
AFAIK, the SN on a T-72 is located at the very bottom of the front glacis, see the area circled in red here :

Here are examples of SNs I was able to photograph in this area circled in red above. All the tanks come from Saumur :

Serial F01VT3662

Serial F02VT5360

Serial B07VT8732 (this is an instruction tank with cut-open armour sections)

Note that these 3 serials are always made like this :

letter - 2 digits - VT (always) - 4 digits

Is it the same for all T-72's serials??

Pierre-Olivier

#4: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:39 am
    ----
The first picture shows exactely that area (I've seen it inside the sn guide)

Massimo

#5: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:33 am
    ----
well, the T-72 was produced outside USSR, by Poland and Czechoslowakia, which could explain why the SN on the tank at Full doesn't resemble the SNs I got from Saumur.. maybe the tank at Full is a Polish-made or CZ-made tank?

P-O

#6: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:54 pm
    ----
It looks the same as the T-55 and MT-55 at Muckleburgh, and the VT-55 is Czech:

UID1200: Czech MT-55 at Muckleburgh

#7: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:00 pm
    ----
It is indeed a Czechoslovak built T-72M s/n (the first picture)
MHY = ?
T= T-72
05 = ?
D = month of production, not necessary april
NC = 1983

@ P-O, yes, also on the T-62, T-55

regards,
Lesley

#8: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:08 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
It is indeed a Czechoslovak built T-72M s/n (the first picture)
MHY = ?
T= T-72
05 = ?
D = month of production, not necessary april
NC = 1983

@ P-O, yes, also on the T-62, T-55

regards,
Lesley

thanks Lesley, you confirmed my thoughs.

Pierre-Olivier

#9: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:10 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
If some one know's the meaning of Russian s/n I have some left from various Russian vehicle's I can not read Confused

michel

Michel, I can't read the Russian language but I know the Russian letters...
For sure Koluchiy or Taranov would be of greater help but let's give it a try.

Pierre-Olivier

#10: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:41 am
    ----
Thanks Lesley!

Massimo

#11: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:59 am
    ----
"BT" is not always, this is a production code for one of the plants (which is the plant produced the majority of T-72).

Anybody knows, is it possible to change the nickname at this forum?

#12: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:10 am
    ----
- Koluchiy

Anybody knows, is it possible to change the nickname at this forum?

Koluchiy,
Basically, no, we cannot change it. However, you can re-register with the name you intend to use (real names are preferred) and we can just terminate the account of the old name once you are for sure successfully registered with the new name and able to post.
It may be that we'll have to drop your account first depending of how it's tied to your email. We only use your email for registration purposes here and I'm not sure how two names to one email will process. Try first to establish a new registration with your current email.

#13: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:13 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
Michel, I can't read the Russian language but I know the Russian letters...
For sure Koluchiy or Taranov would be of greater help but let's give it a try.

well I meant read and understand, because some are more then just 1 line of text
I will get some picture's uploaded

Michel

#14: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:02 pm
    ----
for the T-55 letter combi ''UT, LT, VT and L'' are possible AFAIK and for the T-72 ''UT, LT, VT and G''

IIRC VT should then the Nizhni-Tagil Railroad Enterprise, aka as State factory 183

Is this correct Kuluchiy? Do you know also the letter /factory combinations of the other letters?

regards,
Lesley

#15: Re: s/n on T-72? Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 am
    ----
I don't understand how to discuss here.
Russian (cyrillic) letters are used on russian tanks' SNs.
You are writing them in latin transcription, and it is not clear what cyrillic letters are corresponding to the latin letters that you are using.

-> AFV News Discussion Board