Interesting Tanks 2
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:20 pm
    ----
Twisted Evil

#2: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:31 pm
    ----
An inverted section (right or left side) of suspension to ......

YEAH RIGHT,....like I have a clue what the heck that is!!

Clueless
Don

#3: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:45 pm
    ----
- Dontos
An inverted section (right or left side) of suspension to ......

YEAH RIGHT,....like I have a clue what the heck that is!!

Clueless
Don

muahahahahahahaha Twisted Evil

#4: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:05 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
muahahahahahahaha Twisted Evil

looks like someone forgot to take his pills today ...

However I have to agree with Dontos:

it is the right side suspension of something with tracks, and I like to ad it is sticking out of the sand Mr. Green

Michel

#5: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: Pope130 PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:11 pm
    ----
US Halftrack, can't say what model.

#6: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:20 am
    ----
Leading right side suspension and idler of a Matilda 2 Infantry tank on Spike Island, Scotland.

#7: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 am
    ----
- Coldsteel
Leading right side suspension and idler of a Matilda 2 Infantry tank on Spike Island, Scotland.

Its a Matilda IIa but close enough! Wink

Another one tomorrow...

#8: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:12 am
    ----
A Matilda in worse shape than Aberdeen's Shocked

#9: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:55 pm
    ----
- bsmart
A Matilda in worse shape than Aberdeen's 8O

In fact, isn't that part of what's missing on the Aberdeen one? Perhaps they should get together.

#10: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:23 am
    ----
Actually I think those parts are on Aberdeens. Aberdeens Matilda was rescued from a Reverse Lend Lease Scrap shipment. It is missing the gun, tracks, final drive and I believe engine (all the parts a depot would think about stripping off in theatre for re-use Wink )

#11: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:58 pm
    ----
As I recall it had no sprockets or other wheels or suspension parts when I saw it - I have a couple of photo's here:

UID688: APG Matilda

#12: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:14 pm
    ----
You're probably right about the sprokets but I think there are road wheels. Your pictures are from before the concrete pads were installed in 1985. I think the wheels are below where the skirst have settled in the mud.

You might want to show an intermediate stop between factory and Aberdeen. It is documented that she was in the western desert and captured by the Germans and used as a pillbox (I can't remember the exact location. Maybe Neil or someone else has noted it (It is in the vehicle file at Aberdeen and maybe on the Museum CD)

#13: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:29 pm
    ----
Here's what I have on the APG Matilda's history - which should give you several waypoints:

“Lost to the Germans in a battle at Sidi Rezag-Halfaya Pass in November 1941, re-marked by the Germans and used as a pill box at the same pass until recaptured by the British after the battle of El Alemein in October 1942. Sent to the US as part of reverse Lend-Lease scrap shipments in 1943 and diverted from Brooklyn, N.Y. to the museum in 1944,” according to the Ordnance Museum Guide CD and Tank Data, 9.

Neil

#14: Re: Interesting Tanks 2 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:47 pm
    ----
- bsmart
You're probably right about the sprokets but I think there are road wheels. Your pictures are from before the concrete pads were installed in 1985. I think the wheels are below where the skirst have settled in the mud.

You're right - I found some pictures on Wikimedia that show the roadwheels, so I've added those to its profile page.

- bsmart
You might want to show an intermediate stop between factory and Aberdeen. It is documented that she was in the western desert and captured by the Germans and used as a pillbox (I can't remember the exact location. Maybe Neil or someone else has noted it (It is in the vehicle file at Aberdeen and maybe on the Museum CD)

- Neil_Baumgardner
Here's what I have on the APG Matilda's history - which should give you several waypoints:

“Lost to the Germans in a battle at Sidi Rezag-Halfaya Pass in November 1941, re-marked by the Germans and used as a pill box at the same pass until recaptured by the British after the battle of El Alemein in October 1942. Sent to the US as part of reverse Lend-Lease scrap shipments in 1943 and diverted from Brooklyn, N.Y. to the museum in 1944,” according to the Ordnance Museum Guide CD and Tank Data, 9.

Neil

Thanks guys! That was really useful information that sent me on a detective hunt, which has kept me busy most of the time since you posted it. Anyway, I found a photo of it just after it was recaptured which identifies it as having registration number T10099. From the general location and date I believe I can be sure it belonged to a Royal Tank Regiment (probably 4RTR or 7RTR) and also that there's a good chance it arrived in Egypt with the Tiger convoy on 12 May 1941. I have written it up fully and also posted it online here (though I'm hitting some limits on my Sql server database capacity so the online version is a bit edited down):

UID 688: APG Matilda

Everyone is very welcome to let me know if they can shed any light or doubts on my conclusions but I think I have it about right. The map has filled in very nicely with your help:

Before:

Now:

Thanks again!

-> AFV News Discussion Board