Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:08 pm
    ----
Today I was able to climb into the XM 1 that had been static displayed in front of the Patton Museum for many years.

In the past week it was relocated from the parking lot beside the museum to Richardson Motor Pool.

The Interior is actually a whole lot better than I feared. Most of the turret components are present. Of interest is the following:

The Gun tube stampoed data:

Also present is the Turret Data Plate:

Having been a gunner on an M1 and IPM1 I was interested to see the differences to include the original prototype GPS (Gunners Primary Sight) which is a bit different than the production GPS.

More info and photos to follow
Regards
Don

#2: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 pm
    ----
Here is a shot of the TC's primary sight extention (no difference). However the TC's .50 cal sight is different with an unusual 'brow pad'

The GPS has a few extra knobs which are redesigned out with the production M1.

Most of the components are labeled with an experimental nomenclature so I assume the differences kept them from being stripped out to be used in 'fleet' vehicles, over the years.

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:29 am
    ----
This shows a view of the Gunners Station to the right of the GPS. The Gunners Computer Control Panel (CCP) is usually mounted on the turret wall.

The mounts in the Pilot Vehicle seem to indicate a CCP that is twice the size of the later, production vehicle. As is seen, it was removed at some point, for whatever reason.

As can be seen in many of the above photos, most of the components as well as the tank itself were produced / constructed in 1978.

Makes me feel a 'wee bit' old since this is when I graduated from High School.

Amazing that within a year or two of that production date, I was sitting on sand dunes of El Paso Texas, watching the XM 1s zoom around during the desert.

Perhaps seeing this same vehicle,...... Where has all those years gone.......?

Regards
Don

#4: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:18 pm
    ----
Thanks for posting!

#5: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 pm
    ----
TW

No problem. Its cool to see the turret interior, just wish I coud get Drivers Compartment photos. Since the turret is over the front, access is blocked.

Actually I was hoping to find the coffee pot which was one of the 'neat ideas' that was designed out when the Army didn't buy that option prior to production.

A sort of Abrams 'urban legend' that I had always heard about but had never actually never seen.

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:20 pm
    ----
Nice pictures!

I had for this tank the sn PV-1. Is the hull number also PV-1 or is it only the turret that is numbered PV-1

regards,
Lesley

#7: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 pm
    ----
Lesley

PV 1 is a verified SN of the XM 1.

On production Abrams SN locations are on the ballistic skirts and the right rear by the tail light. Usually such exterior stamped SN's match the hull & turret data plates.

However this being a Pilot Vehicle, no such exterior stamped SNs are present. So in an effort to confirm the SN info, I was able to gain access to the turret, to confirm the turret data plate stampings.

Unfortunately I have not been able to gain access to the drivers 'hole'. manual traverse doesn't work (I think the turret is welded somewhere on the turret ring to prevent traverse)

The hull data plate is is located in the driver compartment.

With the Abrams, access to the drivers position in near impossible when the gun in centered, due to the FC components under the gun.

The drivers hatch is welded shut so exterior access is not possible.

I spent a few hours today working on CK, and didn't have the chance to dig around more in the XM 1.

I still want to get in the drivers hole for personal interest in its configuration as well as to compare the turret data plate info. Hopefully I can get that done on future visits to RMP, prior to the XM 1 departing for Ft Benning.

Regards
Don

#8: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:07 am
    ----
Don,

Try your "Camera Pole". There's no reason why it wouldn't work in those confines. That's if the Data plate is located in the same spot as the production models.

#9: Re: Abrams XM-1 (SN PV-1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:35 am
    ----
Joe

Your right, I'll make sure I have it handy on next RMP visit.

I can't believe I didn't think about that.....

Hopefully it is hull roof, above the 'T-bar'.

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board