Bucharest. Need help on id
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:55 pm
    ----
I visited Muzeul Militar National in Bucharest. The most amazing artillery collection I ever seen Shocked
What's special about it is that guns come from so many different sources...

I managed to identify all my shots, apart from these 3 pieces:

1) I guess it's a soviet design. Something for airborne operation? It was sitting near a bunch of 122 mm and 152 mm soviet guns:

2) This has an id plate, but it's missing the brand:

3) This looks like a typical 75 mm field gun from the 1900-15 period, most likely Krupp:

Massimo

#2: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:18 pm
    ----
Hello Massimo,
Nice pictures, unfortunatelyu I can't help you with artillery.

Do you have a list what you have seen/spotted there (tanks, APC's etc)

Regards,
Lesley

#3: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 pm
    ----
I'll post about the AFVs soon. But it will take time, I have well over 1500 shots, and they are still in RAW format, waiting to be post-processed. On top of that I have:

- 900 RAWs from my last visit to Full
- 400 RAWs from a recent visit to Morges
- 2000+ RAWS from my visit to Saumur
- 150 RAWs from a friend's wedding

Tomorrow I will be in Emmen (Luzern) for an airshow, so I expect another 1000 shots or the like. Well, it may take a while to get everything done Smile

Massimo

#4: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:34 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I visited Muzeul Militar National in Bucharest. The most amazing artillery collection I ever seen Shocked
Massimo

It's quite a place, I've been four times and there's still stuff I haven't seen to my satisfaction.

#5: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:01 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
It's quite a place, I've been four times and there's still stuff I haven't seen to my satisfaction.

It's indeed a great place. Your pictures and reports encouraged me to go, and it was even beyond my expectations. Once again, thank you very much.

As you noted, it would be better to go in fall/winter, with much less leaves around. Problem is that in that season you may face rain or snow; but I can see myself going back there in the future. After all plane tickets are cheap, plus hotel and restaurants are very good value for money over there. So I may take the risk of bad weather for just a weekend. Worst it can happen is I will go to the art and history museums instead Laughing

Massimo

#6: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:44 pm
    ----
Gun 3° is indeed a 75 mm Krupp model 1904

Massimo

#7: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:57 am
    ----
Hi Massimo,
It is off topic but I see you make photos in RAW format. What program do you use to adjust/correct the photos.

I use NEF since I have I Nikon camera (still experimenting with the settings).

regards,
Lesley

- Massimo_Foti
I'll post about the AFVs soon. But it will take time, I have well over 1500 shots, and they are still in RAW format, waiting to be post-processed. On top of that I have:

- 900 RAWs from my last visit to Full
- 400 RAWs from a recent visit to Morges
- 2000+ RAWS from my visit to Saumur
- 150 RAWs from a friend's wedding

Tomorrow I will be in Emmen (Luzern) for an airshow, so I expect another 1000 shots or the like. Well, it may take a while to get everything done Smile

Massimo

#8: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:07 am
    ----
- L.Delsing
It is off topic but I see you make photos in RAW format.

Early this year I made some major (Sinsheim) and minor (Thun SHP) mistakes shooting JPEGs with wrong white-balance. I promised myself it will never happen again, so I moved to RAW. While it requires a lot of extra post-processing efforts, and extra storage space, I can say for sure it lend to better quality and increase the amount of "keeper" shots.

All in all, among the steps I took to improve the quality of my pictures, moving to RAW is having the strongest impact, even more than buying better lenses, and much more than an upgraded camera body.

- L.Delsing
What program do you use to adjust/correct the photos.

I use Adobe Photoshop, even if it's complicated, expensive and somewhat overkilling. I only know the features I need for my very own purposes, and I keep using it since I get a free copy (due to my professional activities). Without the free copy I guess I would consider PhotoShop Elements or one among the two below:

Lightroom, it now has "Photoshop" in its name, due to marketing reasons, but it's a completely different beast, designed for digital photos from the very beginning:
www.adobe.com/products...lightroom/

Some friends of mine love this:
www.dxo.com/intl/photo

I encourage to test both, they have trial versions and the retail price isn't insane.

Massimo

PS Maybe we should discuss this and similar topics on the main AFV News forum

#9: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: TanklordLocation: Louisiana PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:06 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

Massimo

Is it me, or does the gun barrel look like it exploded by the breech?

#10: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:20 am
    ----
- Tanklord

Sure it did.

Massimo

#11: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 pm
    ----
- Tanklord
- Massimo_Foti

Massimo

It's one of two or three such guns there. I have detail shots of those. In the one Massimo posted, it's certain that several casualties would have resulted.

Here are the previous threads on Bucharest (one exceedes 20,000 views, an AFV DG record!)

Views of that gun are available on page 4, I believe

www.com-central.net/in...t+military

www.com-central.net/in...t+military

#12: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:50 pm
    ----
I have only another shot or two of this specific gun, but quite a bunch of another of the same model, including the ammo trailer.

I am developing a special interest for pre-WWI 75 mm guns from Krupp. I've seen the 1903 model used by Switzerland (updated in 1940 with split trails), the 1902 from Turkey (seen it in Italy. One is in Belgrade too) and the 1906 model used by the Italian Army (who went with a Deport design in 1911); and now this. AFAIK model 1904 was used in Bulgaria as well.

Massimo

#13: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:13 pm
    ----
Another Bucharest gun behaving badly....

#14: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:07 am
    ----
- L.Delsing
Do you have a list what you have seen/spotted there (tanks, APC's etc)

I've just posted a list on the main forum, pictures are coming along too:
www.com-central.net/in...;start=120

Massimo

#15: Re: Bucharest. Need help on id Author: Mircea87Location: Constanta, Romania PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:39 pm
    ----
2nd gun is probably of russian origin (so it was used after 1916), a side photo would help. Searched my sources, this caliber was very rare, although Romania used a lot of different calibers during the war.

-> Artillery Forum