T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD)
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 pm
    ----
In front of the museum (N52 01.611 E005 52.309) and visible from the road is a T-34/85. It came from the Dresden museum. The museum swapped (correct spelling/word?) it for a so-called ''goulashkanone'', a sort of fieldkitchen which was used by the Germans in/around Arnhem.

According to the museum staff it was used by the Wehrmacht in the 2nd worldwar.

WO2 headlight??

#2: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:14 pm
    ----
That is an NOTEK black-out headlight, standard used on al German WW2 military vehicle's

Walter has been there also this month and he found out, that the gun is an late type 88mm, with an 88mm muzzlebrake

I don't know if this is original WW2 Confused
The German's used captured T34 tanks, however never heard any thing about replacing the original main gun with an German one

Michel

#3: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:53 am
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
That is an NOTEK black-out headlight, standard used on al German WW2 military vehicle's

You can also see Noteks on soviet tanks used by czechoslovakian Army after WW II. I have a few pictures from Lesany that show it.

Massimo

#4: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:59 am
    ----
That looks like an ex-austrian army one rather than ex-wehrmacht...

#5: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:17 am
    ----
Maybe, some other photos?

#6: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:28 pm
    ----
@ Jim; is it possible to see it is former Austrian?

@ Koluchiy; what type of photo do you need? Maybe I have some from a couple of years ago.

#7: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:05 pm
    ----
Front and rear view of the hull.
The best case - photo of the nose where S/N should be located.

#8: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:22 pm
    ----
Since it was not possible to get closer, I tried to picture the serial. But maybe you can use this picture

#9: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:26 pm
    ----
The S/N is not visible.

#10: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 pm
    ----
I don not have one with an S/N visible, at the time of the picture (2007) I wasn't realy following that

However I do have some picture's of the front and side's

To picture the rear of the vehicle is an problem, because this vehicle is part of an private collection and is parked on private property
So the only photo's possible are the one's from the public road, unless you got permission to walk around Neutral

Picture of the front

To keep the page size down in size just some links to:
picture right side
i1015.photobucket.com/...den_16.jpg

picture's left side, front part
i1015.photobucket.com/...den_05.jpg

middle part
i1015.photobucket.com/...den_06.jpg

Michel

#11: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm
    ----
Much better views of it - and its not ex-austrian (the headlight is the wrong shape, no rail to hang sideplates on) its ex-czechoslovakian mocked up a little.

#12: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:45 pm
    ----
A T-34/85 seen in Lesany back in 1998. See the Notek:

Massimo

#13: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:48 pm
    ----
The difference between the austrian & czech ones appears to be mainly that headlight. The austrian ones used a more barrel shaped headlight usually fitted with slotted mask - very similar (if not the same item) to the one seen on Tigers etc (Bosch?)

The austrians 'inherited' 37 T34/85 which they fitted with that headlight & Notek light. When they started to replace them 19 were stripped of external fittings and used for fortifications, the remainder were modernised with an american radio & sideplates amongst other items and then placed in reserve. The sideplates were shallow and suspended from a round rail. The area around the turret antennae was 'modified'.

The info comes from an old intelligence report and you can read the rest of it on JED. The images with it are totally unreadable.

#14: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:54 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
The austrians 'inherited' 37 T34/85

correct me if I'm wrong, however the Austrians did not realy "inherited" the T34/85
The Austrian army recieved them through an Russian military aid program in 1955

The last one was removed from it's defence position in 2007

Michel

#15: Re: T-34/85 at Schaarsbergen (NLD) Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:58 pm
    ----
The 'aid program' was actually stuff left behind by the soviets when they withdrew. Most of it was being used by the few paramilitary units the soviets had formed while they occupied eastern Austria.

Probably the best book on this area & period is Austria, Germany, and the Cold War: from the Anschluss to the State Treaty 1938-1955 by Rolf Steininger

-> AFV News Discussion Board