Museum signage ideas...
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Museum signage ideas... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:36 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Having a story is, of course, great, but most individual vehicles don't have a well-know story behind them. In that case you can build a story about the model/variant, not the specific vehicle.

Massimo

For example a diorama from a situation the vehicle was used. Some museums have beautiful dioramas built like a plastic model diorama.

Regards,
Lesley

#17: Re: Museum signage ideas... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:00 pm
    ----
to make it short, you can not please everybody

The AFV freak's will say there is to little info about the vehicle, the "normal" people will not bother reading half of the info on the sign

An diorama like display is an good solution

- Doug_Kibbey
Those Overloon signs look classy...and expensive!

To be honest, there are 3 different type's of signage at Overloon
The old style came from the former Marshall museum and about 80% of the vehicle's have this sign, because that used to be an private collection and more effort was put into it

The new style is only used for new parts in the collection or replacing the realy old style signage, there maybe 5 - 10 of this signage type in total at the museum

The last type, are the realy old one's from the old Overloon museum (before it merged with other collections). Just 1 line of text telling what it is, they are disappearing (finaly Razz )

Michel

#18: Re: Museum signage ideas... Author: blackdog PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:51 pm
    ----
Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations so far. It definitely is a bit of a dilemma when it comes to striking a balance between signage applying to all vehicles within a series, for the specific vehicle on display, etc. Especially with vehicles that have undergone a number of rebuild programs in their lifetime that may or may not have changed their technical characteristics while retaining the original nomenclatures. The thing I absolutely do not want to do, as stated before, is provide any inaccurate or misleading information. That being said, I think that I will include a small disclaimer on all of the signs made basically saying that the information on the placards is not to be construed as an authoritative source.

We don't have any actual dioramas, and I don't expect us to set up too many since we try and keep most of our collection operational. That being said, my idea is to have one placard that is 12x18 which lists the technical characteristics, general heritage, and specific vehicle heritage (if available). I would also like to include at the very least 5 or so period-photos of the vehicle in action that are at the very least 8x10.

I've experimented several times in the past to come up with a uniform sign design, but I think that the latest one incorporating some of the tips and ideas suggested by you guys is turning out the best so far. Below is a work in progress image (data may not be correct, just working out the layout).

I designed this sign in 12x18, but I'm thinking that printing it at 11x17 on a full color copier might be an inexpensive way to produce the signs. Then all I would need to figure out is how to mount them. I've got about a thousand (no exaggeration, unfortunately) fiberglass (and a few aluminum) poles that are used for camouflage netting. I'm thinking about setting them in a 2-3 gallon bucket of concrete. Has anyone seen any other creative ideas on this front that are inexpensive and/or easily attainable?

I've also attached a couple other past half-finished attempts at sign design. The info on them is probably not accurate either or just filler information.

Lastly, I've attached a photo of an Excel spreadsheet that I was working on for some time that basically compiled all of the different technical specifications available for various vehicles. I lost interest in completing it though. It's potentially a good project to work on in a group (I found it too daunting to complete on my own).

#19: Re: Museum signage ideas... Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:18 pm
    ----
Just another opinion, but you might think about someone might want to take a photo, so huge signs sorta get in the way....I normally have the girlfriend move them, but some are pretty heavy....the woman can only do so much...

#20: Re: Museum signage ideas... Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:35 am
    ----
Moveable signs are a two-edged sword. Yes they make photography easier, but scalliwags will move M3 signs in front of M5s. It may be years before some keen eyed soul notices the switch.

I have seen temporary bus stop sign posts mounted on truck wheel rims. Do you have leftover roadwheels, track pads or sections?

Whatever format you choose, it has to be durable, ageless and easy to make. Plastic materials will yellow and crack. Wood is widely available. Brass is expensive. Steel is appropriate for a tank museum!

#21: Re: Museum signage ideas... Author: blackdog PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm
    ----
I've already taken into consideration the size of the sign and its positioning relative to the vehicle, I plan to put them and any rope/chain barriers at knee to hip level to allow for easy photography.

Also, I wish we could have an M3 and M5 to confuse the signs for... Crying or Very sad The only WW2 vintage tracked vehicle we have at the moment is the M74 Sherman, but even that is a Korean War vintage modification if I'm not mistaken...

Little has been accomplished since I last posted in this thread. Here's the Avenger sign and if anything it's less complete than it was before.

I swear that I am going to lose my mind over the subtleties on each of these signs. I want them to be uniform in appearance and structure but the lack of technical data (and in many cases, line drawings - I had to draw the ones above) tends to make everything very difficult.

Brian

#22: Re: Museum signage ideas... Author: Smashy PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:53 pm
    ----
Big signs on the floor at a slight angle, heavy so they cannot be moved around and not high enough to obstruct any part of the subject from a photographers view.

Almost sure I have seen some of this type some place but can't member where

-> AFV News Discussion Board