Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:46 am
    ----
I took these about 10 years ago, no armour there, but a lot of old artillery & a few more modern bits.

Mostly products of Skoda, IIRC.

A Kennel that the dog wouldn't enjoy being in.

Mil 4

As far as I can remember, apart from the gunboat, not a sign in sight, and the gunboat's sign was written in Bulgarian (& Cyrillic script!)

#2: Re: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:29 am
    ----
I already posted this on the Bucharest's thread. Between Sofia, Varna and Plovdiv there is something worth a visit in Bulgaria:
www.militarymuseum.bg/...takti.html

Massimo

#3: Re: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:07 pm
    ----
I went to Bulgaria last year, I really liked Sofia....nice city, easy to get around.

#4: Re: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:39 am
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
I took these about 10 years ago, no armour there, but a lot of old artillery & a few more modern bits.

Any ideas what that is lurking behind the gun? Looks like some kind of tractor with old-style "Buick fender ports" behind the cab.

#5: Re: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:28 am
    ----
looks like a small vessel to me, portholes, breakwater bow to the left, plimsol line and red lower hull, my 2 cents

#6: Re: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:30 am
    ----
is that big thing behind the gun, not an boat of some sort Confused

An topedo boat perhaps ?

Michel

#7: Re: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:37 am
    ----
going an little on a side track, however staying in Bulgaria Mr. Green

While searching on the web for soem more picture's of Varna, I came across the website of the National Museum of Military History in Sofia, Bulgaria

The Varna collection is part of this collection
It is worth checking because there are some panoramic 360° views of the AFV collection on the site

www.militarymuseum.bg/...nshni.html

Michel

#8: Re: Old photos from museum at Varna, Bulgaria Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:18 pm
    ----
IIRC, it is a torpedo boat, pre WW1.
We visited Sofia during a skiing holiday, just as they were having a bit of a revolution. I didn't see the military museum & was quite annoyed that I'd missed it when the first photos of the Stugs etc appeared!

-> AFV News Discussion Board