Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:04 am
    ----
Another sample:

G-13 M-78125 by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#2: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:49 pm
    ----
Massimo,
Great shots! I also checked out your flickr photos, good to see they are all coming out much better than before. Rick

#3: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 am
    ----
Another one:

Chenillette Renault UE by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#4: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:55 am
    ----
I've been using a Canon G1X with a cable remote trigger as "pole" camera since quite a while. This is a "compact" camera, with build-in lens but quite a large sensor. Bigger than the usual compacts at 530g.
Normally the lens is set to the wider focal length of 28 mm equivalent, at f/2.8 aperture. The image quality has been pretty good, still not comparable with what I get from my Canon 5D Mk III reflex.

I finally got an old Android smartphone to try remote control by wi-fi instead of cable. That means putting an Olympus EM-1 camera on the pole. This is an interchangeable, Micro 4/3 camera. The body, without lenses, weight 500g and has very effective, in-body stabilization (a crucial factor in such a case).

Initially I tried the 12-40 f/2.8 zoom (380g), the combo was too heavy and there was no benefit from having the zoom, since I can't zoom while the camera is above my head. A major factor here is that I need to keep the smartphone on my right hand, leaving only my left arm and body to hold and control the "pole".

I immediately tried a 12 mm f/2.0 fixed length lens (130g). The weight was bearable, even if I get tired much earlier compared to the G1X solution. The 12mm lens is a 24mm equivalent, so wider than the 28mm I was used too, I tried the Olympus 17mm (34mm equivalent) but that was too narrow.

The whole tests gave me a good excuse to order a Panasonic 15mm f/1.7, a 115g, 30mm equivalent that should arrive later this month. I am positive this should be the right focal length for the job.

You can see size/weight a comparison here:
camerasize.com/compact...2.412,ha,t

As usual I tried the new equipment in Full. I summarize what I learned:

- While G1X image quality was good, the EM-1 blows it out of the water

- The ability to use lenses faster than f/2.8 is nice in low light, but, as expected, you better stay in 2.8/4.0 range to avoid part of the subject being out of focus

- 24mm equivalent is a bit too short as focal length, it starts introducing perspective distortion so typical of wide-angle lenses

- Using the smartphone to control the camera is amazing! It's not just remote shutter control, it's full control of camera settings, I can change aperture, speed an ISO remotely, even better, I can select the focus point on the touch screen. This is really a huge improvement, much better than I anticipated.

- Holding the pole/camera on one arm and the smartphone on the other is more complicated, less stable and more tiring

- It takes some time to get used to the eye/arm coordination required to control the set-up

Finally, here is a sample shot:

D-944 PSZH by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#5: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:39 pm
    ----
This is a review on the Canon T3 camera body. As a back up camera I bought (used, $200 US) a Canon T3. It uses the same lens that my Canon Xsi camera uses. I took it out for a test run on the closest tank to me (M48A1 Oak Orchard) and was very pleased with the results. I was thinking about a Canon Powershot, but it has fixed lens.
Years ago, I had a Pentax K1000, and in about 1983 bought a Pentax ME-Super, for lens sharing. Both worked fine for film cameras that I could afford at the time. Digital photography is a heck of a lot simpler now as you do all dark room work in the computer using programs of choice. No negatives to worry about. I just suggest keeping memory cards (full ones) as backups, plus I got a removable HD about a year ago.
Hope this information is useful to someone starting into photography. Rick

#6: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:03 pm
    ----
Understood. I would have used the Canon lens more, but the tanks were packed in so tight, and it was quite dark, so that I didn't have much choice.

#7: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:18 pm
    ----
Trevor, There's definitely a learning curve to the Tokina lens. I find it very useful, but still have the Canon lenses as back ups. Good luck with the flash, many out there are good, new or used. Rick

#8: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 pm
    ----
Last month I got invited to see the Shrivenham collection and used my Tokina lens 'in anger' for the first time. I did see the problem of it casting a big shadow when I used the flash so I did most pictures twice, with and without. Nonetheless I think I do need to look to buy a proper flashgun, and Rick I'll certainly consider your idea of looking for a used one.

#9: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:28 am
    ----
Massimo,
Yes the wide focal length helps get the whole vehicle in the photo, and lens is good in lo light situations. You do have to learn caution that too wide will distort shots. Overall, a good lens in dark and cramped spaces where no flash is allowed. Thanks again, Rick

#10: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:18 am
    ----
Glad you enjoy the Tokina. Of course at f/2.8 it gathers more light and work better in dark places.

Have you got used to handling the wide focal length provided by the 11-16? I mean, such a good ultra-wide may be very fun, but it can easily adds perspective distortions to your photos.

Massimo

#11: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:10 am
    ----
Massimo,
Thanks for tip on getting the Tokina 11-16 lens. I bought mine used (prices vary) on Amazon in time for my trip last December to AAF Museum in Danville, VA where I did two sets of photos, one with the Tokina, and one with my Canon 18-55. The Tokina worked better on the "no flash" indoor photos. My two Canon lens (18-55 and 55-250) work best outside, as telephoto lens. Trevor, for external flash I actually use an old Vivitar, that came from my 35mm film cameras of years ago. If set on a Canon flash, for economy buying used may be the way to go. Rick

#12: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:06 am
    ----
Canon just announced a EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5–5.6 IS STM lens. On paper it looks like an interesting option for people that have the 18-55 or 18-135 lens and would like to have a wider option without spending too much:
www.the-digital-pictur...?News=9677

Price in USA is 300$. We have to wait for the reviews to comment on image quality.

Massimo

#13: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:11 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I have heard about that problem. I have plans to get an external flash but given how expensive the Canon ones tend to be it will probably be a case of lens this year, flash next year.

It makes sense.

Massimo

#14: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:05 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
With lenses that have larger front elements, like Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22, the build-in flash may cast a shadow on the image, since it's not high enough above the camera.

I have heard about that problem. I have plans to get an external flash but given how expensive the Canon ones tend to be it will probably be a case of lens this year, flash next year.

#15: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 am
    ----
- Armyjunk2

Massimo or anyone else, does anyone know of a site like Flicker to post lots of photos, by lots I mean 20,000 or more. Right now I have 4 Photobucket accounts, one that I pay for due to the large number of photos on the site. Some place free would be nice, does Flicker have a limit on free accounts? Anyone know of a free site for large numbers? Thanks AJ2

I just noticed that Flickr did some major update, they are offering 1TB space for free now.
About 500.000 or more pictures, just what you needed.
See: www.theregister.co.uk/...d_storage/

Michel

-> AFV News Discussion Board