Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#106: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:30 pm
    ----
I like the Camera on a pole and may buy a pole one day! Meanwhile, I have been trying out my 10' "A" frame ladder as a means to take high angle photos. I'm going to attach 2 shots of the M60A2 in Ephrata, PA. It works ok but has sufficient drawbacks. Outside only, level ground, and is heavy. Rick

#107: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:07 pm
    ----
Nice pics!

#108: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:09 am
    ----
Thanks Trevor!

#109: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:16 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Understood - I waited a while for the 600D to come out just for its articulated screen.

So far Canon hasn't added the articulated screen to their most sophisticated models, as far as I know, it's to avoid compromising the weather sealing (a feature missing from 600D and 650D). But even if they'll do someday, the weight factor remains, a 1.5 kg camera/lens combination remains too heavy for me to use on a pole.

Massimo

#110: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:35 am
    ----
- Rick_Eshleman
I like the Camera on a pole and may buy a pole one day! Meanwhile, I have been trying out my 10' "A" frame ladder as a means to take high angle photos.

I am afraid a frame ladder would be hard to carry inside my backpack Shocked
But I can see it's working fine for you.

Massimo

#111: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:05 pm
    ----
I'm looking into a "negative, or slide converter", simply could use some tips and advice on what works best. In a few weeks I want to convert some negatives, to digital computer copies. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Rick

#112: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:32 pm
    ----
I don't have first hand experience on that kind of hardware. So I can only answer based on second-hand knowledge.

You may try answering a few questions upfront:

- How many negatives you want to convert? Do you plan to have more in the future?
If the numbers are low, a professional service would be more cost-effective and, most likely, provide superior quality to what you can achieve in house

- If the numbers are significant and you plan to do it on your own, how much computer savvy are you? The relevant equipment cost vary a lot, do you have a budget in mind?

- Do you already have a flat-bed scanner? If yes, have you checked if adapters for negatives are available for that model?

Massimo

#113: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm
    ----
Massimo,
Negatives and slides are in the thousands. I no longer use either of my 35mm cameras, so the amount won't grow larger.
I have a Cannon Pixma MX850 it's about 5 years old, with no negative/slide copy capability. I have a budget no more than $140 USD, but I've seen some items online for as low as $10 USD. I'm also thinking about getting another Cannon scanner (lighter weight) to take to Carlisle, PA and other places, to scan negatives or prints. I've kind of researched this idea, but would like other ideas or experiences to help in my final decision. Thanks, Rick

#114: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:24 pm
    ----
I only saw results from using dedicated scanners that, back in those days, were well above your budget and, again, I wasn't directly involved in the process.

Is there any photo club in your area? It may be worth joining into a meeting and ask around

Adorama is a company with a solid reputation among photographers, they list quite a few slide scanners. You may call them and ask for advice:
www.adorama.com/catalo...20Scanners

Massimo

#115: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 am
    ----
I'll give Adorama a look. The $140 scanner was CanoScan 9950 I saw it on Amazon. I used to get photography magazines years ago and remember Adorama ads back then!
I've also seen the $1000 + scanners or negative copiers, and unless going into business (I'm not!) aren't worth the cost for the average photographer.
Thanks much for your input! Rick

#116: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:01 pm
    ----
I've ordered the CanoScan 9000 since on Amazon it has many more good ratings rather than poor ones. Learn it's limitations, the hope for the best. If it works OK we'll have some results posted in a few weeks. Rick

#117: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm
    ----
CanoScan first results posted on My thread M48 with Mine Rollers. Rick

#118: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:15 pm
    ----
Until last year I've been using a Canon G12 for my "pole" shots. I've got good results but, too often, I've had to use the flash indoor, since the G12 doesn't provide acceptable quality above IS 400.
On the other hand I don't want to use a reflex camera on the pole, it's too heavy and expensive.

Last year Canon solved my problem, they released the G1X, a camera that is a bit bigger and heavier than the G12, still very compact and with a sensor that offer same quality as their entry-level reflex (Canon 600D or 650D). Basically, it's a compact with the same sensor of a reflex. It has low auto-focus and limited ergonomics like a compact, but image quality is reflex-like.

I took it to Munster last October and I am super happy. I've been using it at ISO 1600/2000 with excellent results, this means almost no need for flash anymore.

Here you can see it in action:

A7V replica by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

In the past I've used to carry an older, spare reflex on my most important trips, just in case. Now, since the G1X delivers such good quality, I am fine having only a reflex plus the G1X, since in case something bad happens to the main camera, the G1X can step in

Massimo

#119: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:07 pm
    ----
Another sample with G1X and "pole":

Comet by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

#120: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:14 pm
    ----
Massimo, as my winter hibernation comes to a close I'm looking to buy a wide angle lens for my Canon 600D. I have read your complimentary comments about your Tokina but I'd prefer to stick with Canon. Would this be the right one?

www.simplyelectronics....9&sd=specs

The timing is good as Canon currently has a cashback promotion running:

www.canon.co.uk/spring...ct_2013_03

Wicksteed would be my first planned try out:

www.wicksteedatwar.co.uk/

-> AFV News Discussion Board