Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#136: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:00 pm
    ----
I almost feel out of date with my Canon 350D and non-stabilized 55-200 1:4-5.6

However I'm still happy with it Mr. Green

Michel

#137: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 am
    ----
Yes, you better turn off the stabilization whenever you use a tripod.

Glad to hear ISO 800 works fine, it's not like in film days anymore Laughing

A f/2.8 70-200 is going to be expensive and very heavy. Think twice before investing in such a beast.

I am using Photoshop CS5 with a Gb RAM laptop, it's still okay, as long as you don't expect to open too many other applications at the very same time.

I would reccomend to try some software for RAW post-processing asap. Photoshop CS5 is expensive, both Photoshop Elements and Lightroom are excellent alternatives, much cheaper too, download the free, 30 days trials and see by yourself:
www.adobe.com/products...shopelwin/
www.adobe.com/products...lightroom/

DxO is worth a try too (30 days free trial):
www.dxo.com/intl/photo

Massimo

#138: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 pm
    ----
Yes my lens is stabilised. A friend of my says that you have to switch it off when you use a tripod (correct word?), what do you know about that.

About the ISO values, I tried 800 last week in overcast conditions and it turned out fine!

I looked for this lens but at the moment its a bit over my budget www.nikon-obchod.cz/nl...l4&ID=1825

At the moment I put the settings on my camera on JPEG fine and NEF (the Nikon variant of RAW). At the moment I don't have a program to work with RAW or NEF but I'am looking for Photoshop CS4 or 5 at the moment. For the last variant I'am not sure if the internal memory of my laptop (2 GB) can handle that program.

thanks and regards,
Lesley

#139: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:20 pm
    ----
I use Canon DSLRs, don't be afraid of using higher ISO. Even Canon's entry level DSLRs can do a pretty good job at ISO 800, better models can handle 1600 (EOS 7D) and even 3200 (EOS 5D Mk II) still fine. I imagine it wouldn't be that much different with Nikon.

Is you lens stabilized? Stabilization can be handy on anything apart wide-angle lenses. Good stabilization earn you 2-3 f-stops, allowing you longer exposition times, even if you hand-held. See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...bilization

For interiors and low-light, faster lenses are important too. Your zoom start at f/3.5, and that's pretty good, but on the longer range it goes down to f/5.6, and that's not great. Do you need the extra range for those targets? Or you can consider a faster lens (f/2.8 would be great), maybe with a more limited range?

Finally, if you use RAW you can correct/increase exposition in post-processing.

Hope it could help

Massimo

#140: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:12 pm
    ----
Slides?
My word, ancient technology!
I moved over to digital years ago, even a pretty basic DSLR will give good results, when combined with a suitable processing programme.
I use an Olympus E400, I use whatever automatic setting looks appropriate and then tweak with Roxio Photosuite.well I did until changing from XP to Vista!

#141: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:22 am
    ----
@Neil; thanks!!

I have a Nikon d300 with an AF-S Nikor 18-200 1:3.5-5.6GII ED lens. In the past I used Kodachrome 25, 64 and Fujichrome slides. Very low ISO.

With my digital camera I try to use also very low ISO (with the Nikon I have, it goes from 200 to L 0.3 --> L 0.7 --> L 1.0 (which is the lowest) equivalent of the last 3 I dont know.

I understood that with some modern DSLRs it is possible to use relatively high ISO numbers.

Anyone have experience with photographing green tanks on a gray, cloudy day with high ISO numbers with modern DSLR's?

This because I'am (when everything works out) in the opportunity to photograph some hard targets. But I can not wait for good weather. So the photos have to be good the firtst time.

Thanks in advance,
Lesley

#142: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:39 pm
    ----
Lesley asked if we could have a "sticky" thread for questions about photography & cameras. This thread can cover such topics as shutter speed, ISO, lighting, constructing camera poles, etc. All the questions & discussions specific to cameras and taking pictures of AFVs (but not the AFVs themselves).

Enjoy!

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board