Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#91: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 pm
    ----
Massimo, (and others of course who do PS editing)

What program are you using for editing your photos and do you have a workflow for processing your photos?

For aircraft I have found some;

www.airliners.net/faq/..._guide.php

seahawkgfx.de/workflow.htm

I can image that tanks are a little different due to the darker colours.

Thanks in advance
Lesley

#92: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:44 pm
    ----
I use Photoshop since I get it for free, due to my professional work.
If I had to spend money, I would most likely get Adobe Lightroom instead.
Both Canon and Nikon offer free software for RAW editing, I would start from there.

Massimo

#93: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:48 pm
    ----
At my work I can now use Photoshop CS5, so I want to give it a try with some of my photo's

regards
Lesley

#94: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:44 pm
    ----
I use Photoshop Elements - it's not as fully featured as CS but considerably cheaper.

#95: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:13 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
I use Photoshop Elements - it's not as fully featured as CS but considerably cheaper.

For our typical needs, Elements does the job just fine. Again, if I had to spend money, I would consider Adobe Lightroom first (trial is available)

Massimo

#96: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:56 pm
    ----
We are HUGE fans of Lightroom 3. It has everything we need. It is very intuitive and simple to use.
We've been able to recover completely blown out skies in JPEGs with the recovery slider alone! Can't say enough about LR3.

We paid $99 (USD) for LR3, as we were registered users of Elements. Worth looking into if you're thinking of buying LR3.

Also, the Scott Kelby book on LR3 is terrific. Great info and funny too!

Cheers!

#97: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:33 am
    ----
Panasonic announced its 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. It's the first fast, constant aperture "normal" zoom available for Micro 4/3. Here is a review of a pre-production system from a trustworthy source:
www.slrgear.com/review...518/cat/69

I am just afraid this lens is going to be quite expensive.

Massimo

#98: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 am
    ----
Panasonic has announced the new G5 and FZ-200 cameras. The FZ-200 is a bridge camera with a constant f 2.8 Leica lens covering 25-600mm. 12 fps burst rate. The specs on the G5 are very impressive too!

Hopefully we'll hear soon about the GH3 - expected announcement in Sept 2012.

#99: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 am
    ----
Upgraded from LR3 to LR4 and are very happy with the change. The amount of recovery possible in both shadows and highlights is amazing.

#100: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 am
    ----
- vagabond
Panasonic has announced the new G5 and FZ-200 cameras. The FZ-200 is a bridge camera with a constant f 2.8 Leica lens covering 25-600mm. 12 fps burst rate. The specs on the G5 are very impressive too!

Hopefully we'll hear soon about the GH3 - expected announcement in Sept 2012.

Here you can read some early impressions:
www.dpreview.com/news/...-published

It's a great time for Micro 4/3, I've seen rave reviews of Olympus OM-D E-M5 too.

I guess the GH3 will have the same sensor used by the G5, so I wonder if it would be worth the extra money, apart for the video features. But it's too early to say that.

Massimo

#101: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:42 am
    ----
Canon just announced a mirrorless system camera:
www.dpreview.com/news/...on-preview

I was thinking about replacing the G12 I use for "pole" shots, with something that doesn't always require to use the flash indoor (basically decent quality at ISO 1600/2000). I was thinking either a Canon G1X or Panasonic G5. Now this is tempting, since it's very compact and lightweight and uses a large sensor that can deliver at high ISO. The adapter for existing EF lenses could make it also a good candidate as back-up camera
Unfortunately it's missing the articulated screen that is so important for the pole... Hope a later version will have it. An integrated view-finder isn't needed for the "pole", but could be handy for other usages, again, maybe Canon will add one later on.
Anyway, it will not be available in time for this year tank spotting season and I already consumed all my photo-gear budget for 2012 Smile

Massimo

#102: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:58 pm
    ----
Usually I do my indoor "pole" shots with a little external flash (Canon 270 EX) since my compact camera (Canon G12) doesn't handle well ISO over 400. In Overloon I made a mistake a few times, I shot before the flash recharged, most times the image without flash was too bad, 2-3 times it was okay, even if the shutter speed was low (the G12 is stabilized, and that helps).

Here is the shot without flash:

M51 Super Sherman by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

Almost the same, with flash:

M51 Super Sherman by Massimo Foti, on Flickr

No need to say everything looks better and more natural without the flash. That's why I am thinking to upgrade my pole camera to something that can handle ISO 1600 without loosing too much quality. So far I was considering a Micro 4/3, either an Olympus OMD-5 or Panasonic G-5, but the EOS-M announcement make me think it may be worth waiting...

Massimo

#103: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:14 pm
    ----
I continue to use my Canon EOS 600D on a pole (actually a 'Quikpod' telescopic handheld monopod) and am very happy with it. I don't think I'd have the patience to carry a second camera. In fact the monopod is so light and convenient that I left it connected (but collapsed) when I took the non-pole pictures around Overloon. I highly recommend it:

Quikpod

It comes with a belt hook so when I don't need it I can hang it off a trouser belt loop.

#104: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:47 am
    ----
Any of my reflex cameras + lens is much heavier than a 600D + 18-55 lens and don't have articulated screens. Definitely they aren't suited for the "pole" job.

Massimo

#105: Re: Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:47 pm
    ----
Understood - I waited a while for the 600D to come out just for its articulated screen. I ended up buying it only the week before flying out for the Netherlands/Overloon trip.

-> AFV News Discussion Board